PDA

View Full Version : Who Manufactured The Hornady/Pacific Magnetic Scale

jimkim
02-26-2018, 06:20 PM
I think the title kind of covers it. I'd also like to know what other companies used the same scales, that Pacific used. That includes both magnetic and oil damped. I remember seeing CH, Webster, Texan, and Wells scales that were pretty much identical. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

Pressman
02-26-2018, 08:54 PM
Webster is the maker.

jimkim
02-26-2018, 09:14 PM
Webster is the maker.Thanks.

mdi
02-27-2018, 01:00 PM
While I don't know about Hornady scales, Ohaus did make scales to be sold by some vendors...

beemer
02-28-2018, 12:18 AM
I have both Model O and M Hornady scales and have been wondering the same thing. I started loading in the early 70's and I ordered the Model O from the factory, they said it was the last set they had. If I remember correctly they were about $21.00 shipped, rather pricey at $2.00 an hour.

I have been looking at scales lately and realized that the old makers are out and new ones come from who knows where and look sort of cheap. I found a set of RCBS 502 and a set of Ohaus 3100 Dial-O-Grain at an estate sale about a month ago, at $40 for both I couldn't turn them down. Don't need anymore but they are fun to play with.

Thanks for the question and answer.

Dave

jimkim
03-07-2018, 02:29 AM
You're welcome. Dillon still has an Ohaus designed, if not manufactured scale. At least they did, the lasst time I looked. Their Eliminator is an RCBS/Ohaus 505 beam on a different base.

jbohio
03-07-2018, 11:12 AM
lots of different makers over the years .. 215907

Pressman
03-07-2018, 08:37 PM
jbohio, that one is made by Webster. That is an original Pacific scale that was continued after Hornaday bought Pacific.

EDG
03-08-2018, 11:50 AM
The triple poise scales sold by Pacific, Hornady and Bair are all the same scale. My brother and I have been using a Bair scale since 1969 with completely satisfactory results.

Since then I have purchased other scales as part of buy outs of guys who gave up on reloading. While RCBS 505, 5-10 and 502 and similar Lyman scales all work well they are no better than the Webster made scales. I prefer the triple poise system for ease of setting without errors.

beemer
03-08-2018, 03:27 PM
The original box for the O scales says Pacific div. Hornady the M box says Hornady but both have Pacific cast in the base.

The O scales work fine but I bought them on bad advice from someone that understood nothing about magnetic dampening. Years ago I bought the M scales to get away from messing with the oil. I found another set NIB not long ago for $25.

EDG, I too like the three poise system.It is easier to read and set up and just makes more sense. I have been working with a set of RCBS 502 scales, they might be a little more sensitive than the Hornady but after using the Hornady scales for 45 years I had to get used to the layout.

Dave