PDA

View Full Version : how have you supported the forum?

fatnhappy
09-01-2008, 10:46 PM
I'm just curious how many guys have supported the forum in a manner other than sending money. I believe the auctions are the greatest thing since sliced bread, and others like RRR stand tall with auctions and services.

has anybody provided some other services without renumeration?

Nueces
09-01-2008, 11:22 PM
I like to suck up bandwidth several times a day.

No thanks necessary. :mrgreen:

Mark

JeffinNZ
09-01-2008, 11:34 PM
Now it is funny you should ask. The last few days I have been contemplating donating but I don't know what sort of amount is acceptable or relevant.

I agree on the sliced bread comment.

So, help me out. What sort if $$$ is appropriate?

Is the forum financially bouyant?

Blammer
09-01-2008, 11:47 PM
I've supported the forum by running some gas check group buys and donating the proceeds to the board.

I've also volunteered my boolit design sevices for free to anyone who wants them.

I'm also planning to run a mould group buy and donate the proceeds to the board too.

madcaster
09-02-2008, 12:11 AM
I volunteered to be a sex slave for 3 redheads in leather bikinis who were all 3 carrying whips and chains and handcuffs....and to donate the money to the board-but then found out it was ILLEGAL to sell my young hot body for mere money,so I did it all for FREE!!!:roll::twisted:Yeah,right!:violin:
Actually a mould or two,about it.

jjamna
09-02-2008, 12:13 AM
Bought a mold from the auction last year. Ran it up way over new price then sent extra money also joined as a sponser. I don't know if this is the reply you are looking for but it is what I have done. Oh yea I don't even have a gun that will shoot the boolit after it is cast. (Hmmmmmmmmmm)

charger 1
09-02-2008, 06:28 AM
I like to suck up bandwidth several times a day.

No thanks necessary. :mrgreen:

Mark

X2..........

waksupi
09-02-2008, 08:08 AM
I've did an auction or two, and am going to be doing another shortly. Even though it isn't required, and never will be, it is still nice for people to support what they use. Some seem to run a lot of personal sales here, and I think those are the ones who would really want to be kicking in some support.

Bob Krack
09-02-2008, 09:51 AM
Now it is funny you should ask. The last few days I have been contemplating donating but I don't know what sort of amount is acceptable or relevant.
I agree on the sliced bread comment.
So, help me out. What sort if $$$ is appropriate?
Is the forum financially bouyant?

Long ago and far away, I ran a public bulletin board service. Long before the time of "public access" to the Internet.

I had:
one dedicated computer - $900
BBS software - $800 plus $100-200/year upgrades
2400 BPS USRobotics Modem - $600
one dedicated phone line - $ 25/month
two long distance calls each day - $ 60-90/month

Bloodshot eyes from running out into the garage to check the system at all hours of the day and nite (friendly users called me to explain they couldn't get on but it was usually trouble on their end!)

After about 3 years I decided to close shop but then several users (my system was a "hub" or server for several other BBSes in the area) several offered contributions to maintain the system. I absolutely would not have been able to continue without the help.

Donations of anywhere from $1.00 (one time contribution) to upwards of $25.00 per month came in. It certainly did not become a paying proposition but it became a (nearly) self-sustaining hobby. I continued several more years until DOW JONES, AOL and PRODIGY (Internet precursors) supplied much more that I was able to supply.

My point being that I would bet the hardware owners, the bill-payers of all the electronic communications required, the software providers, the hair tearing fellow(s) that have to stop drop and roll when problems arise will NEVER receive enough via contributions to become independently wealthy!
I'm not cerain but I would bet that "Gunload Master" has utility bills (bandwidth, provider, etc) expenses of many hundreds if not thousands each month.

<So, help me out. What sort if $$$ is appropriate?> If you click on the "Donate" button, you will get an idea of what some others do.

<Is the forum financially bouyant?> Hmmm... not sure what that means, but it sure "floats MY boat"!

Hope this helps,

Vic

wiljen
09-02-2008, 10:57 AM
I did the Reloaders Reference DVDs in exchange for Site donations for quite awhile and I think HollandNut is still offering to do them.

xyrth
09-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Long ago and far away, I ran a public bulletin board service. Long before the time of "public access" to the Internet.

I had:
one dedicated computer - $900
BBS software - $800 plus $100-200/year upgrades
2400 BPS USRobotics Modem - $600
one dedicated phone line - $ 25/month
two long distance calls each day - $ 60-90/month

Bloodshot eyes from running out into the garage to check the system at all hours of the day and nite (friendly users called me to explain they couldn't get on but it was usually trouble on their end!)

After about 3 years I decided to close shop but then several users (my system was a "hub" or server for several other BBSes in the area) several offered contributions to maintain the system. I absolutely would not have been able to continue without the help.

Donations of anywhere from $1.00 (one time contribution) to upwards of $25.00 per month came in. It certainly did not become a paying proposition but it became a (nearly) self-sustaining hobby. I continued several more years until DOW JONES, AOL and PRODIGY (Internet precursors) supplied much more that I was able to supply.

My point being that I would bet the hardware owners, the bill-payers of all the electronic communications required, the software providers, the hair tearing fellow(s) that have to stop drop and roll when problems arise will NEVER receive enough via contributions to become independently wealthy!
I'm not cerain but I would bet that "Gunload Master" has utility bills (bandwidth, provider, etc) expenses of many hundreds if not thousands each month.

<So, help me out. What sort if $$$ is appropriate?> If you click on the "Donate" button, you will get an idea of what some others do.

<Is the forum financially bouyant?> Hmmm... not sure what that means, but it sure "floats MY boat"!

Hope this helps,

Vic

things have changed pretty significantly. i did the same thing back in the day, but nowadays you can get space on a server for $25-$250 a month depending on how much of it you want to share, and bandwidth costs less than $15 a megabit (averaged over time, basically every 320gb's you transfer a month) so a low traffic forum like this can be done pretty easily for under $50 a month. problem is that it takes a lot of time to admin it correctly, stay on top of updates, backups, etc., etc., and becomes a labor of love for our precious admins. they're really more important than the $$.

and with that thought, maybe we should have a "swag for the admins" drive ...

PatMarlin
09-02-2008, 12:27 PM
I do with CFF sales. Not a great deal of money I know but every bit helps.

We will be donating more as sales start with our Checkmaker dies if members so choose to purchase them.

You bandwith suckers... we know who you are. No need to confess.. :mrgreen:

WildmanJack
09-02-2008, 03:22 PM
I hit the sponsor button twice.. That's about it for now..
Jack

MT Gianni
09-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Sponsered and bought and donated for auctions occasionally paying over face value elsewhere. No complaints with that and will continue the practice.

Bret4207
09-03-2008, 07:52 AM
Donated the proceeds of a couple of auctions and paid into a couple of auctions. I have great intentions of sending Will a check every year, but the road to hades is paved in good intentions.

scrapcan
09-03-2008, 11:24 AM
I did a benefit for the site auction (maybe oneo the first) a long time ago. I dug through my stuff till I came across something that I thought would be of interest and would not be missed by me as much as some of the other stuff. I put it up and hoped for the best. I think it went well.

I want and need to do it again as I am also a bandwidth sucker also. And as Bret says the road to Hades is well paved.

It is nice to be a part of a great community and whatever one can conjour up will benefit us all. Just do what you can is my thought.

dromia
09-03-2008, 12:07 PM
I try and contribute positive posts that are in the spirit of the site. :castmine:

45nut
09-03-2008, 12:36 PM
BY far the easiest way to support this forum is to hit that little "donate" tab under the header and buy a subscription, either as a contributor, patron or sponsor.

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/payments.php

The benefit auctions are also a excellent way to help out and have worked great I think.
Some folks have taken it to heights I never imagined and knowingly and anonymously have helped us tremendously. Those folks are the "unsung hero" type and prefer to remain in the background by choice.

We have others that have made multiple offers of their work and materials available and then other examples that have donated molds to be passed amongst our membership with a few dollars rolling in over and over and over, those truly add up and are obvious examples of true support without breaking the budget of those both donating and those partaking.

We have others that simply have sent in funds anonymously without wanting anything but to help.

Many equate a visit here equal or of greater benefit than any book available for the price of a checkout magazine for them and some do their utmost to be as helpful on the board as possible in answering questions to the best of their ability without once ever being hurtful or having an agenda. That too is a considerable "donation".

Of course in any "community" there are folks that sit quietly in the middle, there are those that see this forum as a resource to be exploited and those that take joy in taking digs at how things are done. I can only try to do the best I can and accept I am not the one that walks on water and turns water into wine, I can only try to continue the path I am on with the idea that this forum needed to be and with the help and advice of my friends we shall endure and prosper.

I do not want to close this post without thanking those that have helped me personally, their support has been silent mostly, but deeply appreciated. I think those folks can identify themselves easily.

My heartfelt thanks to all of you.