PDA

View Full Version : More .303 WCC headstamp

Jack Stanley
02-25-2018, 06:46 PM
Wow I forgot I forgot I had this stuff . Headstamp is WCC 81 and it just about the nicest .303 British ammo I've seen . I looked all through gunbrokers pages and didn't see it , doesn't show up much I'd bet .

Jack

Outpost75
02-25-2018, 09:19 PM
Post pictures or it never really happened and you are just pulling our chain....

Jack Stanley
02-26-2018, 09:50 AM
Did you want a photo of the ammo can that four hundred rounds came in as well ?

I've never really got the hang of posting photos and not likely to in my remaining years . If you don't believe it happened or I'm pulling your chain I won't be the one trying to change your mind .

Jack

Outpost75
02-26-2018, 12:07 PM
Did you want a photo of the ammo can that four hundred rounds came in as well ?

I've never really got the hang of posting photos and not likely to in my remaining years . If you don't believe it happened or I'm pulling your chain I won't be the one trying to change your mind .

Jack

Not trying to cause any fuss, just would love to see a picture.

I didn't realize that Olin Defense was still making .303 for anyone.

Do you know if this ammo was made for export, or possibly for US market?

My WRA stuff is/was WW2 Lend-lease which came back from UK in the 1960s. 174-grain MkVII bullet sealed with black Lucas and loaded with 44 grains of an unidentified spheroidal powder with granulation resembling H380.

Jack Stanley
02-26-2018, 02:32 PM
It's dated 81 and I suspect it was meant for export .

Jack

Outpost75
02-26-2018, 07:23 PM
It's dated 81 and I suspect it was meant for export .

Jack

Would like to know who the intended customer was, but doesn't take much imagination to guess... considering what was going on in the world at that time.

leebuilder
02-27-2018, 07:00 AM
I seen a part case that was late 70s and early 80s made for the RCMP crime lab. Except for the missing ammo it had all the paper work from winchester, I couldn't see the head stamps.
I have one 1940, WRA stamped bullet in my collection.
Be well

richbug
02-27-2018, 08:07 AM
I had a case of the 81 stuff a while back. I figured it was destined for Afghanistan, but I would have expected them to use an unmarked headstamp.

Wayne Dobbs
02-28-2018, 09:22 AM
I had a case of the 81 stuff a while back. I figured it was destined for Afghanistan, but I would have expected them to use an unmarked headstamp.

Only if you don't want the enemy to know where it came from. Ronald Reagan wanted the USSR to know we were arming the mujahadeen (sp?).

Outpost75
02-28-2018, 11:30 AM
Only if you don't want the enemy to know where it came from. Ronald Reagan wanted the USSR to know we were arming the mujahadeen (sp?).

Something also of that era, which is a scarce collector item were some .303 SLAP rounds which were also produced at Olin, using leftover sabots and penetrators from the discontinued 7.62mm SLAP program. Seems that the sabot without the pusher plate employed in the cal. .50 version had a nasty habit of letting the penetrator set back and turn in the sabot whilst inthew bore, exiting the side of a heated M60 barrel, with unpleasant results. But neither the Brens or Lee Enfields of the Mujahadin had a rate of fire in which that would be a problem and the .303 SLAP rounds didn't feed in a Vickers or Maxim, so the leftovers were put up in clipped pack with 40 grs. of WC680 powder for about 4000 fps. A bit marginal for defeating the belly armor of an Mi24, but if the bird was headed right at you and you could sneak a couple rounds into the cockpit or engine intakes you could bring it down...

Wayne Dobbs
02-28-2018, 11:47 AM
Something also of that era, which is a scarce collector item were some .303 SLAP rounds which were also produced at Olin, using leftover sabots and penetrators from the discontinued 7.62mm SLAP program. Seems that the sabot without the pusher plate employed in the cal. .50 version had a nasty habit of letting the penetrator set back and turn in the sabot whilst inthew bore, exiting the side of a heated M60 barrel, with unpleasant results. But neither the Brens or Lee Enfields of the Mujahadin had a rate of fire in which that would be a problem and the .303 SLAP rounds didn't feed in a Vickers or Maxim, so the leftovers were put up in clipped pack with 40 grs. of WC680 powder for about 4000 fps. A bit marginal for defeating the belly armor of an Mi24, but if the bird was headed right at you and you could sneak a couple rounds into the cockpit or engine intakes you could bring it down...

What was the projectile weight of this load?

Outpost75
02-28-2018, 12:28 PM
Used the 93-grain XM948 7.62mm projectile and sabot.