PDA

View Full Version : Loading high velocity cast in the .308

waco
02-24-2018, 08:50 PM
So in another thread I posted a video about shooting a 12" steel plate at 500 yards using cast boolits in the .308
I had a few people request that I make a video showing how I loaded the rounds, alloy, powder, technique etc......

I really didn't think it would be that interesting but some wanted to see the process. I'm not saying this is the best/right way to do everything.
This is what has given ME the best results to date in a bone stock Rem 700 .308 with a 22" barrel with a 1:10 twist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV3iaBvgomE&t=17s

whisler
02-24-2018, 10:30 PM
Very nice video ..thank you very much.
What method did you use to determine optimum OAL from ogive?

Shopdog
02-25-2018, 07:01 AM
I use pretty much only bore rider moulds in factory barrels.Mostly 700's and 10/110's.As the velocity goes up,the more/where the nose gets bumped....which is a sub category of bullet fit,but not limited to...Then,less lube is used(GC equipped).I'm looking for how many rounds go down before fouling starts.Trying to find a balance between;

Accuracy-varmint hunting requires flat trajectory with a lot of "smack"...high first shot cold bore emphasis,almost more important than shooting groups?

Velocity-more helps with range estimation(above) and the ability to hit higher nodes which may be the key to the rigs barrel.

Fouling-isn't limited to leading.It's a window or gage (almost real time) into how this CB package is behaving in this barrel.Think cast iron skillet.Think a really good mould.What gets left behind in the barrel is the "sign".

Bedding -if the rig can't hold 1st shot cold barrel groups fired over a weeks period it's something wrong with the metal/wood/plastic interface....assuming we're sub moa.

swheeler
02-25-2018, 10:13 AM
Waco you ever think about moving to Hollywood?:kidding: Nice video's you and brother have been making!

waco
02-25-2018, 12:09 PM
Very nice video ..thank you very much.
What method did you use to determine optimum OAL from ogive?

Hornady Lock-N-Load AOL tool.

waco
02-25-2018, 12:09 PM
Waco you ever think about moving to Hollywood?:kidding: Nice video's you and brother have been making!

Thanks Scot. I give my brother all the editing credit.:razz:

whisler
02-25-2018, 08:39 PM
I may not have been clear in my question. I saw in the video the tool you used to measure overall length from ogive. How did you determine what that "optimum length" should be? Was it by trial and error, a measurement of some sort, or a calculation?
Trying to learn how this figure is arrived at.

waco
02-25-2018, 08:49 PM
I may not have been clear in my question. I saw in the video the tool you used to measure overall length from ogive. How did you determine what that "optimum length" should be? Was it by trial and error, a measurement of some sort, or a calculation?
Trying to learn how this figure is arrived at.

I jammed the boolit into the lands and used that for my AOL.

waco
02-25-2018, 08:50 PM
This was the first time I had loaded this boolit. A nice little crush fit into the lands.

whisler
02-25-2018, 09:08 PM
Thanks, exactly what I wanted to know. It obviously worked well.

waco
02-25-2018, 09:11 PM
Thanks, exactly what I wanted to know. It obviously worked well.

This time it did!:smile:

Texas by God
02-26-2018, 11:54 AM
That's how I always determined throat length too. Pinch the neck of a fired case, put a long bullet in backwards and close the bolt. There's your throat length. Stay safely away from it for hunting loads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk