PDA

View Full Version : Underhammer First Trial

Lostinidaho
02-23-2018, 09:17 PM
I have been working on an under hammer from Petaconica River.

Its not completely finished, maybe 75% the way there. I just couldn't wait. The sun was beginning to go down and the temperature was dropping quickly. I froze while getting off four shots.

Its a .36 caliber. 35 gr of black gave me an average of 1480 fps. Nice and easy shooting. Looks to be a good rifle.

Cold but fun

silly goose
02-23-2018, 09:33 PM
Come on, we need pics!

oldracer
02-23-2018, 10:40 PM
With my 45 caliber I built a while back I bought everything from the folks at Pecatonica River. They do a great job and will get the parts set up right for you. On mine I use a 209 primer adapter so there is no chance of the percussion cap falling off. I shoot both off hand and also bench rest with it and it is irritating to pull the trigger and no boom!
John

Lostinidaho
02-23-2018, 11:13 PM
Here are a couple pics. Still a way to go getting the scratches out of the metal and the wood sanded and fit to the metal.
But it has been a fun winter project. Its not the speed of completion but the joy in the journey
214947 214948

Ayetter
02-28-2018, 03:34 AM
Stock could be set back up against frame use a bandsaw to notch out stock to make room for nipple and flashcup turn flashcup to one side so lowest side faces direction in which you cap from then notch stock for clearance to use a capper. Enjoy your underhammer and welcome to the madness

oldracer
02-28-2018, 10:21 PM
Boy oh boy, is that huge chunk of metal stainless steel or regular steel that you can blue. The setup I got from Petcatonica River had a carbon steel receiver so I could sand the polish then blue the metal finish. I ask because it is difficult to match the edges of the wood to the metal and I did the following. I took used some flat black spray paint (all I had) on a bit of the receiver then some of that very thin clear packing tape that Costco and such sells and taped the metal for protection. Since there is round and flat parts to match it took me a week to get it close enough so the tape was cut and the black paint was just barely scratched. I was able to polish out the few slight scratches I did get in the metal. I read somewhere to mark the wood, trim it, reinstall, check, remove and repeat but that did not seem like an easy way to do it? John