PDA

View Full Version : Pierogies, anyone?

Tom W.
02-22-2018, 10:21 PM
I love them. My mother used to make them. Now I buy the frozen ones and either fry or boil them. Mostly boil. In a small cast iron skillet I'll put maybe one half stick of butter and some diced fresh onions, and sauté the onions until they turn clear. By that time the pierogies are ready to eat, so I'll put them on the plate and cover them with the butter/onion sauce. I can eat them until, well, a good plateful might fill me up....

Outer Rondacker
02-22-2018, 10:49 PM
That is the same way I like them. Let me tell you mister I can eat a whole box and a few onions in one sitting.

Tom W.
02-23-2018, 12:05 AM
I get the big bag from Walmart..... once in a while I can find some at Publix. Either way is a crapshoot, as there ain't a lot of Polish people down here.....

winelover
02-23-2018, 08:04 AM
I grew up in a Polish Community, surrounded by Detroit. Strodek's Deli ships to Arkansas. We saute the onions in olive oil till not quite golden, serve with Greek style yogurt, instead of sour cream. Last summer, the wife drove back for a class reunion. Brought back 4 dozen and several links of their roasted kielbasa. :bigsmyl2:

Winelover

LUCKYDAWG13
02-23-2018, 08:09 AM
My Wife makes them quite often love to fry them with onions

AK Caster
02-23-2018, 09:54 PM
Try sprinkling bread crumbs on them and drizzling with canned evaporated milk. It’s how us PA pollocks were taught to eat them. And don’t forget the large piece of kielbasa on the side.

parkerhale1200
03-06-2018, 02:14 PM
Pierogies....I am suprised, at the other end of the ocean????, dont forget a slice of stuffed steurgion.
Or Borsjt soup...

Tom W.
03-06-2018, 10:07 PM
My Pennsylvania Polish Grandmother used to feed us Borsjt soup. I was young and would eat anything then.....

Beerd
03-06-2018, 10:08 PM
brings back memories of the dining hall chant from the '70s
"No more soul food, we want Pole food!".

AllanD
03-06-2018, 10:56 PM
I'm in coal mining country, (lots of Polish and Ukranian Immigrants were recruited by the mining companies) so they are always available every that sells cooked food, but you've gotta be specific how you want them or they are likely to be deep fried like French fries.

I like mine pan fried in butter put into the pan about the time the onions turn clear
and served with a generous dollop of sour cream.
I like parts of the Pierogie to be carmelized by the hot pan/boiling butter.

In a perfect world the sour cream will be Axelrod's Sour Cream & Onions, something I haven't been able to get out here, but next time I get to Northern NJ....

Tom W.
03-06-2018, 10:58 PM
I used to live in Nicholson....

Wagnerwerks
03-06-2018, 11:17 PM
My father-in-law owns t&l pierogi in hazleton pa. You should see my freezer full of them. ;)

AllanD
03-06-2018, 11:35 PM
I don't get up over the mountain that often, I'm off of US209 North of where it crosses I-476

AllanD
03-06-2018, 11:53 PM
Try sprinkling bread crumbs on them and drizzling with canned evaporated milk. It’s how us PA pollocks were taught to eat them. And don’t forget the large piece of kielbasa on the side.

I'm going to have to try that, I keep several cases of evaporated milk in the house as it is a necessary Ingredient for Tuna or Salmon Caserol and also to make sausage gravy.

Reverend Al
03-07-2018, 02:19 AM
Traditionally (at least in Manitoba where my wife is from) they boil the Pierogis first and then pan fry them with a bit of butter. Sauteed onions and some crumbled crisp bacon are sprinkled over them and then they are topped with sour cream. Coarse Kielbasa sausage (with big chunks of visible ham in it) is sliced and pan fried to complete the meal.

winelover
03-07-2018, 08:22 AM
Lithuanian, mother hailed from Wyoming, Pa.......Hungarian, father from Plains, Pa. I was born in Wilkes Barre. Hazelton not far away.

Winelover

Wagnerwerks
03-07-2018, 08:50 AM
Check in your Boyer's or savealot. My favorite are jalapeno and cheddar, boiled, pan fried with butter and onions, and hot sauce. :)

parkerhale1200
03-11-2018, 09:33 AM
Did some one drink "zywiec" beer, with it, its polish and very nice, I can really recomend this one.
Or also even good as Budweiser a "Czech Republic" beer.
Or our own "Dutch beer".."Hertog Jan"

Cheers:"na zdrowie"

:drinks::drinks::drinks:

MaryB
03-11-2018, 11:03 PM
More of an ale fan... mostly my own but on occasion Fat Tire Ale by New Belgium Brewing is decent, a local brewery makes a bunch of really interesting ales...

winelover
03-13-2018, 06:32 AM
As you can tell by my avatar, I'm not much of a beer drinker. However, when I do, I prefer ale. When I lived in Detroit, the Canadian offerings were available. Down here in Arkansas, can't even get Molson Canadian (lager)........let alone Molson Golden (ale).

Winelover

Lance Boyle
03-13-2018, 08:54 PM
[QUOTE=parkerhale1200;4316391]Did some one drink "zywiec" beer, with it, its polish and very nice, I can really recomend this one.
Or also even good as Budweiser a "Czech Republic" beer.
Or our own "Dutch beer".."Hertog Jan"
[quote

Ha I just returned some Zywiec empties.

I can eat the frozen pierogis but miss Mrs. Mary Johnson’s home made. She was the best. She fried up fine diced salt pork crispy and added onions then the pirogies. Dessert were little butter cookies.

Outer Rondacker
03-13-2018, 09:05 PM
Had some for lunch today. Ummmm

bangerjim
03-13-2018, 11:14 PM
Have’nt had a good one since I left Detroit 30 years ago!!!!!!!!!

Lonegun1894
04-15-2018, 03:35 AM
I can't believe no one here has mentioned skipping the butter or oil and throwing some bacon into the pan along with the onion instead. The bacon gives just a bit of grease to prevent sticking (and a lot of flavor), and the onion provides enough liquid to keep from drying the pierogi out. At least that's how we usually did it when I was a kid in Silesia (Southern Poland), and still my favorite way of cooking them. I shouldn't admit this, but I usually buy the frozen ones from the grocery store, cause I've been too lazy, um, uh, too busy casting boolits, to make my own pierogi.