PDA

View Full Version : Cheap easy equipment for water quenching...

Don Purcell
02-22-2018, 01:12 AM
Good bye.

ioon44
02-22-2018, 10:13 AM
That is a good idea for water quenching, but I quit water quenching years ago, I find it easier just to use good alloy.

HangFireW8
02-22-2018, 10:25 AM
A couple of years ago while walking around LOWE'S is spotted a wire mesh waste basket and wondered if it would fit in a 5 gallon bucket. It did. So I bought both of them and filled the bucket with water and set the mesh waste basket inside. Now, when I water quench all I have to do is raise the basket out of the water and dump the bullets on a clean towel and set the basket back in the bucket for another go. Has anyone else been doing this or am I late to the party as usual?

If you are late, then I am later. I think I may even have the wire mesh waste basket, I certainly have the 5 gallon buckets.

lightman
02-22-2018, 10:38 AM
Like ioon44, I don't water quench. But if you do thats a great idea! I have always kept my eyes open for a stainless container with a basket like mechanics used for cleaning carburetors. I just think that filled with a degreaser it would be good for getting the lube off of cartridge cases.

Walter Laich
02-23-2018, 08:24 PM
first, this is a great idea for those who WQ, no doubt about it

I stopped doing this wen't I went to powder coating because when you 'cook' the PC the WQ advantage goes away.

MyFlatline
02-23-2018, 08:53 PM
Like ioon44, I don't water quench. But if you do thats a great idea! I have always kept my eyes open for a stainless container with a basket like mechanics used for cleaning carburetors. I just think that filled with a degreaser it would be good for getting the lube off of cartridge cases.
True but the cool down time is nil. I have found it all equals out in the end

quasi
02-24-2018, 05:55 PM
sounds like a great idea to me.

Wayne Smith
02-27-2018, 12:31 PM
Use two nesting 5gal plastic buckets. Drill holes in the bottom of the one on top. Accomplishes the same thing.