PDA

View Full Version : The Revolver Dilemma.

am44mag
02-21-2018, 11:48 PM
I've been wanting another revolver for awhile now, and I cannot decide what to get. I have it narrowed down to 4 drastically different choices.

1. Ruger Blackhawk Conversion (45 Colt/ACP) - $572
Extremely versatile and strong. I could load it hot, use my 1911 loads in it, and it's probably the most accurate gun on this list.

2. Traditions 1873 Frontier (45 Colt) - $436
This gun, with a 4.75" barrel is drop dead gorgeous, and from what I've read, the quality is just as good if not better than Uberti's. I can't load it hot, but honestly I don't care. I have a strong 44 mag. I don't need to hot rod 45 Colt to get my kicks. The barrel length is my idea of a perfect carry revolver. It's a great balance of speed and useful accuracy. How can I say no to a SAA clone?

3. Uberti 1847 Walker (.44) - $370
It's the odd one out here since it's a blackpowder gun, but it's just an impressive gun all around. Big, heavy, and powerful. Has absolutely zero use beyond plinking, and would probably not do well at CAS, but the history aspect of it is incredibly appealing to me. I am a big fan of anything to do with the Texas Rangers.

4. Carry gun with a 2-3" barrel (44 Special) - $400-$500
I wouldn't mind a new carry gun, but I don't need one. There's unfortunately not a lot of options for 44 Special revolvers in this price range, and most of them are either Taurus or Charter Arms.

It's hard to choose what to get. I'm leaning towards the SAA or the Walker because those interest me the most and are cheaper. The Ruger would be more useful though. Any thoughts?

tazman
02-22-2018, 12:21 AM
I'm not going to be much help since I don't currently load any of those except the 45acp.
If I were to choose one it would have to be the Ruger for it's versatility.
Black powder is fun but not too practical. That never stopped me from buying a gun though.
I can't shoot single action pistols well due to an old injury to my hand so the Traditions is out.
44 special is a nice cartridge but the 2 guns mentioned don't call to me at all.
I would have to choose the Ruger and try to get a set of grips that would allow me to shoot it.

Walkingwolf
02-22-2018, 12:31 AM
Well if you are looking for a gun for CAS you are pretty much going to need a single action. I don't shoot SASS anymore, but I sometimes still carry my SA revolvers. I have a Pietta in 44 mag, and she is a jewel. For 45 acp I have a S&W Performance Center 625, and I love her also.

RPRNY
02-22-2018, 12:35 AM
Get the Walker. Everybody should own one at least once. It is a hand cannon. While you won't regularly shoot full cylinder 60 grs loads, you just have to every now and again. They are handsome pistols! With paper cartridges, they are very best and easy to load for and black powder clean up is not hard: hot water and fish soap, a little Ballistol and all's good. It's impractical, but so's a mistress... A Walker's cheaper and almost as much bang for less buck. If you ride, they are awesome in a pommel holster and I have a friend in TX that shoots hogs with one. Mine's an ASM, not as nice as the current Uberti. It's a lot of fun.

gpidaho
02-22-2018, 12:51 AM
I believe the most reasonable and useful gun would be the Blackhawk convertible, good resale value too. That said, sometimes you've just got to go with the one you think would be the most fun. Gp

RobS
02-22-2018, 01:34 AM
Have a Ruger small frame flat top convertible 45acp/45 colt and the wife really enjoys it. If I wanted to go back to a single action it would be a a Ruger Bisley convertible 45acp/45 colt. Currently I enjoy my Redhawk 4 1/4" 45 Colt which can go from mild to wild. I agree on the resale of a Ruger revolver.

Drm50
02-22-2018, 03:23 AM
The Ruger is the better choice for practical use.

therealhitman
02-22-2018, 04:48 AM
Ruger.

almostgone
02-22-2018, 06:02 AM
The Ruger: 2 of my favorite cartridges. wish I hadn't traded away the one I had. Always thought I'd get another and so far life has conspired against that happening.

RKJ
02-22-2018, 08:13 AM
I vote for the Ruger also.

Ed_Shot
02-22-2018, 09:31 AM
Have the Ruger 5 1/2" convertible. Outstanding with either 45 LC or ACP.

Thin Man
02-22-2018, 09:46 AM
If this was my decision to make, here is how I would go about it. First would be to list all the revolvers I currently own in calibers/types parallel with those you have on your list. Then I would see if any of these (4) selected are the same or close to any of those I already own. This would probably eliminate 1-2 from the selection list. Next I would ask which remaining choices are the farthest away from my current list of holdings. This may be the question that makes the call. I plan to add in a new big bore revolver, and I like variety. I'm not married to a single format (single v. double action) or (cartridge firearm v. muzzle-loader). I want something new (even if used, new to me). Let the fun begin. Which ever choice you make, you already know it will make you happy. It made the final list, didn't it.

am44mag
02-22-2018, 09:58 AM
If this was my decision to make, here is how I would go about it. First would be to list all the revolvers I currently own in calibers/types parallel with those you have on your list. Then I would see if any of these (4) selected are the same or close to any of those I already own. This would probably eliminate 1-2 from the selection list. Next I would ask which remaining choices are the farthest away from my current list of holdings. This may be the question that makes the call. I plan to add in a new big bore revolver, and I like variety. I'm not married to a single format (single v. double action) or (cartridge firearm v. muzzle-loader). I want something new (even if used, new to me). Let the fun begin. Which ever choice you make, you already know it will make you happy. It made the final list, didn't it.

Out of all these guns, two are similar to guns I already own. I have a S&W 629 that is very accurate, very versatile, and pretty much fills in the role the Ruger would have had. I also have an 1858 Remington clone, which I guess you could say is similar to the Walker since they are both black powder .44s. The Walker is mainly a historical fascination though, and honestly probably would be the least shot gun on this list.

Whelp, looks like I'm leaning heavily towards the SAA now. Thanks, that really helped.

I should also mention I plan on owning all of these at some point. It's just a matter of what comes first.

Bent Ramrod
02-22-2018, 10:12 AM
I have a bunch of revolvers, including an ASM Walker and a Cimarron Uberti .45 Colt SAA 4-3/4”. I shoot the latter about 10 times more often than the former, and probably twice as often as any other revolver except my SAs in .32-20.

If you want a fair approximation of the Walker experience, you can load the .45 clone with black powder. The weight-to-power ratio is similar.

scattershot
02-22-2018, 11:09 AM
I’d pick the Ruger, hands down. Versatile, built like a tank, fun to shoot (all of them are, really) good resale, accurate, and on and on.

Panman213
02-22-2018, 12:38 PM
Another vote for the Ruger

stubshaft
02-22-2018, 12:47 PM
I go with the Ruger. But, I would get it in 45LC only. I had a convertible and after the initial excitement of switching calibers, the 45 ACP cylinder ended up collecting dust...

Walkingwolf
02-22-2018, 01:03 PM
I go with the Ruger. But, I would get it in 45LC only. I had a convertible and after the initial excitement of switching calibers, the 45 ACP cylinder ended up collecting dust...

I don't have one, but if I did it would be the opposite for me. A 45 ACP revolver can be loaded from a magazine, I do it with my CA Pitbull. A 1911 magazine is as close as it gets to a speed loader for a SA revolver.

Rafe Covington
02-22-2018, 01:34 PM
I would recommend the Ruger Bisley 45acp/45colt convertible. I use mine (45acp)for recreation and as a carry gun for self defense, whatever you choose have fun. JMHO

Rafe

Soundguy
02-22-2018, 01:51 PM
Get the Walker. Everybody should own one at least once. It is a hand cannon. While you won't regularly shoot full cylinder 60 grs loads, you just have to every now and again. They are handsome pistols! With paper cartridges, they are very best and easy to load for and black powder clean up is not hard: hot water and fish soap, a little Ballistol and all's good. It's impractical, but so's a mistress... A Walker's cheaper and almost as much bang for less buck. If you ride, they are awesome in a pommel holster and I have a friend in TX that shoots hogs with one. Mine's an ASM, not as nice as the current Uberti. It's a lot of fun.

Agreed.. You gotta shoot a 60 gr charge walker now and then. When we go out shooting I joke with my buddies that I'm bringing my 45-60 with me. ;)

rockrat
02-22-2018, 04:33 PM
Ruger. I shoot the 45 acp much more than the 45 Colt.

Texas by God
02-22-2018, 05:27 PM
I don't have one, but if I did it would be the opposite for me. A 45 ACP revolver can be loaded from a magazine, I do it with my CA Pitbull. A 1911 magazine is as close as it gets to a speed loader for a SA revolver.
I'm going to steal that idea for a .22 SA! Thanks, WW.

dubber123
02-23-2018, 01:41 AM
If you go with the Ruger, either go current production or check out the cylinder throats before buying. While S&W was famous for huge cylinder throats on their 45 Colt revolvers, Ruger did it too. My brother has a convertible, 1972 vintage I believe that he bought NIB. It has .456" throats, and was a chore to get to shoot well.

oldhenry
02-23-2018, 11:23 AM
If you go with the Ruger, either go current production or check out the cylinder throats before buying. While S&W was famous for huge cylinder throats on their 45 Colt revolvers, Ruger did it too. My brother has a convertible, 1972 vintage I believe that he bought NIB. It has .456" throats, and was a chore to get to shoot well.

I had one of those & DougGuy transformed it into a tack driver.

Henry

45workhorse
02-23-2018, 06:51 PM
Buy them all.:bigsmyl2:

dubber123
02-24-2018, 12:05 AM
I had one of those & DougGuy transformed it into a tack driver.

Henry

He couldn't have made the throats smaller, what did he do?

CraigOK
02-24-2018, 12:50 AM
I love my ruger bisley convertible.

curioushooter
02-24-2018, 11:40 AM
When I buy any firearm nowadays, it is with a specific purpose in mind. This purpose could be recreational, specific kind of hunting, teaching kids how to shot, concealed carry, etc.

I once owned a Bisley Blackhawk. I will never buy a single action revolver again. Slow, and double action with swing out cylinders are a huge advancement in my opinion. If I wanted to shoot coyboy action it sure wouldn't be done with a gigantic Colt. I wouldn't want to carry a big 44 special revolver, either. I've found that if it isn't small and light I wont carry it. It's hard to beat a 9mm pistol for that. Only a J-Frame (or similar) compares among revolvers.

If I were you I'd ask myself what I want to DO before asking what to BUY.

Though sometimes I've found unexpected uses. I bought my G2 Contender for deer hunting, but it has lately become my carry around the woods pistol because of its outstanding range and accuracy. It's easy enough to carry in a holster (not concealed) and approaches rifle performance under 100 yards. Perfect for nailing coyotes when cutting wood. It replaced my S&W 28 revolver in this duty.

35remington
02-24-2018, 02:27 PM
Ruger.

The advantage to the 45 ACP cylinder over the 45 Colt in the Ruger is that if velocities of from 700 to 950 fps with 230-250 grain bullets are contemplated as being the most useful and frequently used, velocity consistency is much better in the shorter 45 ACP case.

If you want an eye opener, stuff a 250 SWC in a 45 Colt, load over a “standard” charge of 8 grains of Unique or suchlike, and test velocity with powder near bullet and powder near primer.

ejcrist
02-26-2018, 04:43 PM
I'd definitely go with the Ruger.

Steppapajon
02-26-2018, 10:38 PM
Another vote for the Ruger. Very versatile.
SPJ

oscarflytyer
02-26-2018, 11:30 PM
Think you prioritized them perfectly! #1) I have the Ruger - LOVE IT! Only other thing there would be same flattop in 44 SPC, which I also have (and I intend to look at making it convertible with a 44-40 cylinder!). #2) Have a Uberti SAA Clone in 45 Colt (and 44-40), almost same - and love them both. And like you, no need to hotrod a 45 Colt to have a blast! #3) a BP - mine is an 1860 Army (sexiest design in a revolver ever, imo). Love it too. #4) Last is a 44 SPC 3" Carry. IF your budget was ~$550-$600 - it would immediately jump to the top of MY list and be a Ruger GP100 44 SPC!

And I cast and load for all the above, so any would work for me!

Surculus
03-01-2018, 04:12 AM
I'm going to be the odd man out & here & say "Walker," just for the heck of it. The BH convertible is a fine revolver, but not particularly accurate IME [typical Ruger wheelgun, you need to ream the chambers properly, they're as undersized as the Italian BP repros...] And what's not to love about Andre the Giant's pocket pistol? If it's good enough for Josey Wales*, it's good enough for me!

* Clint Eastwood seriously needs to get "Thank You!" medals from S&W & Uberti: between his characters of Harry Callahan & Josey Wales, he's kept those two firms in business for the past 50 years! ;-)

PhantomRider64
03-01-2018, 07:23 AM
I would get the Walker. Carry it like Crocodile Dundee carried his knife,,,then when some punk pulls a 9mm on ya you can draw the Walker and say,,,That's not a gun, now that's a gun!!!

Seriously,,,I plan to get one soon. They are just cool.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Potsy
03-01-2018, 10:28 AM
I've always been fascinated by the Walker. Then I pick one up every few years and get over it. It's one of those guns I'll have if I ever hit the Powerball. Might have to whack a surly bartender with it (points to those who got that reference).

The 4-5/8" convertible is one of my favorite pistols. Likely the most practical from mild to wild. Get the throats tweaked (if they need it) and a good trigger job and you may never need another pistol (but I'm sure you'll buy more). If you want to run it hot, I don't think there is another pistol on the market where you can get this much horsepower in this size package, for this kind of money. 270 SAA's at around 1300 oughta be plenty doable, though not real fun to hang on to with the "plow handle".

The 1873 with a 4-3/4" barrel is underrated. IMO, they are a good bit lighter than the Ruger, feel a bit better in the hand, and most critters don't want to be in the way of a 270 SAA at 900fps. If you can't get your work done with 5 rounds of that, you shoulda bought the Ruger. 200 grain plinkers would be doable. Planning on doing this with some Trail Boss before long.

GP 100 .44 Special would be a fine gun. If they come out with the blued model in 4" I may be in trouble.

If it were me, I'd punt. I'm THINKING Ruger did their smaller frame flattop Blackhawk in a .45 convertible model. ACP Cylinder plus the aforementioned 270 SAA's at about 1,050. Wouldn't be a bad place to be.

Soundguy
03-01-2018, 11:21 AM
I've always been fascinated by the Walker. Then I pick one up every few years and get over it. It's one of those guns I'll have if I ever hit the Powerball. Might have to whack a surly bartender with it (points to those who got that reference).

The 4-5/8" convertible is one of my favorite pistols. Likely the most practical from mild to wild. Get the throats tweaked (if they need it) and a good trigger job and you may never need another pistol (but I'm sure you'll buy more). If you want to run it hot, I don't think there is another pistol on the market where you can get this much horsepower in this size package, for this kind of money. 270 SAA's at around 1300 oughta be plenty doable, though not real fun to hang on to with the "plow handle".

The 1873 with a 4-3/4" barrel is underrated. IMO, they are a good bit lighter than the Ruger, feel a bit better in the hand, and most critters don't want to be in the way of a 270 SAA at 900fps. If you can't get your work done with 5 rounds of that, you shoulda bought the Ruger. 200 grain plinkers would be doable. Planning on doing this with some Trail Boss before long.

GP 100 .44 Special would be a fine gun. If they come out with the blued model in 4" I may be in trouble.

If it were me, I'd punt. I'm THINKING Ruger did their smaller frame flattop Blackhawk in a .45 convertible model. ACP Cylinder plus the aforementioned 270 SAA's at about 1,050. Wouldn't be a bad place to be.

I don't shoot my walker at 60 grains often, but do it now and then. mostly I'm shooting it at 50. If I ever go hunting during black powder season, it's loaded to 60 in case of close encounters, whether i've got my 50 cal flinter, or my 69 cal musket. I have no doubt that the walker will take a hog trying to tree me, and while not fantastic, should provide at least -emergency/disaster- bear options.

jdt81
03-01-2018, 11:26 AM
As a longtime 45 Colt aficionado, I will give you my completely unbiased opinion. The Ruger will not disappoint and 45 Colt is one of the most versatile rounds out there, especially in a BH.
You probably already have dies for 44 but dies are cheap so there is not much else to gain with the 44spl.
Having said that, if you don’t already have a bp revolver you owe it to yourself to try one. Probably the most fun I’ve ever had shooting a handgun! I’m not a big fan of clones but I do own a pietta 1858 and it’s a nice gun. The uberti should be even nicer. And the Walker has got to be one of the more desirable guns ever made imo. Not as purty as an 1860 (gotta agree with the poster above on the 1860) but a real piece of history (even if it is a clone).
So there you go. Narrowed it down to two. If it were me, I’d probably breakdown and buy them both.

am44mag
03-02-2018, 06:47 PM
As a longtime 45 Colt aficionado, I will give you my completely unbiased opinion. The Ruger will not disappoint and 45 Colt is one of the most versatile rounds out there, especially in a BH.
You probably already have dies for 44 but dies are cheap so there is not much else to gain with the 44spl.
Having said that, if you don’t already have a bp revolver you owe it to yourself to try one. Probably the most fun I’ve ever had shooting a handgun! I’m not a big fan of clones but I do own a pietta 1858 and it’s a nice gun. The uberti should be even nicer. And the Walker has got to be one of the more desirable guns ever made imo. Not as purty as an 1860 (gotta agree with the poster above on the 1860) but a real piece of history (even if it is a clone).
So there you go. Narrowed it down to two. If it were me, I’d probably breakdown and buy them both.

The biggest advantage to 44 special for me is the fact I already have numerous molds for 44 cal, loads developed, and ammo/supplies on hand for it. In a strong action, it could be very competitive with 357 mag in terms of take down power.

You guys are not making it easy. That Ruger is extremely appealing, especially after I watched a few videos covering it. There's something about that SAA that's really calling to me though. Like I said before, I'd like to get into CAS, and that revolver would knock the number of guns I need down to 2. Plus, that thing is gorgeous! :D

Earlwb
03-02-2018, 07:12 PM
I will help solve your delimma. Buy them all. You will never feel satisfied unless you do.
:D

jdt81
03-03-2018, 10:06 AM
Wants vs needs. If you need a gun, buy the gun that fits your needs. But I suspect all of us on this board have surpassed the need stage and have all of our gun needs covered.
If you want a gun, buy the gun you want. No need to complicate the decision with reason or facts. That’s where most of us are.

Both perfectly valid ways to buy a gun. But it sure is fun to walk into your lgs and glance over at the used gun counter and when something shiny catches your eye, buy it based on pure passion. Kinda like love at first sight. I’ve hesitated and lost out too many times.

Besides, any SAA is a pleasure to behold and shoot. Sounds like a crime of passion to me.

am44mag
03-04-2018, 02:56 AM
After doing some thinking, I think I'm sold on the SAA clone (doesn't have to be that specific brand, but 4.75" barrel is greatly preferred). I'm really wanting to give CAS a try, and that will get my foot in the door. I think I want to change the caliber though for the sake of simplicity. My lever action is a 44 mag, so a SAA in 44 mag or special would be great. It gets rid of the possibility of an ammo mix up, and I am already fully stock with reloading components and molds for 44 mag/special.

The problem is finding one. Cimarron used to make their model P in 44 special, but I'm not sure if they still do. Pietta makes a 44 mag SAA, but I would want to change out the 1860 grip to an 1851/saa grip. If that can be done cheaply, that would probably be the cheaper option.

Potsy
03-04-2018, 09:46 AM
Taylor's & Co. (Ubertie importer and distributor) had a single action .44 Mag.
It was a bit heavier/beefier than their regular SAA, it came standard with a 5-1/2" barrel (I think), and I've no clue what grip it had.
I held one a while back. Not a bad feeling pistol. If I went that route I'd go .45 Colt just to make it lighter/handier/shorter more "svelte" in general. But I'm also as blessed with .45 Colt and ACP componentry as you are .44. To each his own.
Ruger might be making their mid frame vaquero in .44 special, but I've not looked lately.

Fly
03-08-2018, 02:59 PM
The Walkers are cool, but the Dragoons are cooler. I have many BP revolvers, but I would choose the Dragoon my favorite.

Fly (Buy a conversion cartridge .45 lc cylinder if you really want some fun)

am44mag
03-08-2018, 08:47 PM
Taylor's & Co. (Ubertie importer and distributor) had a single action .44 Mag.
It was a bit heavier/beefier than their regular SAA, it came standard with a 5-1/2" barrel (I think), and I've no clue what grip it had.
I held one a while back. Not a bad feeling pistol. If I went that route I'd go .45 Colt just to make it lighter/handier/shorter more "svelte" in general. But I'm also as blessed with .45 Colt and ACP componentry as you are .44. To each his own.
Ruger might be making their mid frame vaquero in .44 special, but I've not looked lately.

I'm not sure about the 44 special, but Ruger is making a 44 mag vaquero again. It's not what I'm looking for though since it has a birdshead grip and a 3.75" barrel. Traditions actually makes exactly what I want. 44 mag, 4.75" barrel, polished blueing and case color hardening, all for under $500. I don't think I'm going to beat that.

smkummer
03-10-2018, 10:02 AM
Late to this discussion but I was going to warn you about a walker. Don’t. A dragoon is really a big beast as well. I have shot different calibers in SASS, it’s no big deal. The revolver will of course feed anything that fits in the chambers. My marlin 1894 44 mag made in the 1970,s needs cartridges close to max. length or it will jam.