PDA

View Full Version : Marlin M-336 rod guide

357Mag
02-21-2018, 01:55 PM
All -

Howdy !

I re-purposed an automotive fluids bottle adapter, as a rod guide/hollow bolt for use when cleaning my -336.

The adapter comes w/ a center cone shaped diverter, which I cut out. The included length of clear plastic can be cut to fit the rifle, and slide on the adapter if need be.... to allow a finer scale custom fit. The clear tubing is by nature fluids/solvent resistant, and has a nominal .480" OD.

A chamfer can be put on the outside end of the tubing, as an aid to fitting inside the chamber. I have used the set-up both w/ and w/o a chamfer. My M-336 XLR is a .35 Rem, and the 2" round patches I use just slightly overlap the wide open end of the " guide ".

The hard plastic end of the quide has internal step-down shoulders, which serve to fold the patches back along the jag. The outside of the guide also has shoulders, which just happen to nest very nicely w/ the hammer of the -336.
I use a rubber band or Velcro strap to help keep the guide in-place, but their use is not absolutely necessary.

I apologize for the poor pic quality, as I could not seem to find a good focus point; despite my best efforts.
The pic shows a patch on the end of the jag, visible through the clear plastic tubing that appears in the loading port.
That's a nice touch, as it allows one to see whether patches are positioned well on the jag.

I don't think the thing cost me $8.00.

With regards,
357Mag214741

Texas by God
02-21-2018, 05:43 PM
That's a cool idea and your Marlin is set up for long range nicely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk