PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo

starmac
02-19-2018, 10:52 PM
I did not even realize California had any wild free range buffalo.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/19/buffalo-gores-camper-on-southern-california-island.html

MUSTANG
02-19-2018, 11:45 PM
But.... it's not so good to be a Goat on Catalina Island:

http://articles.latimes.com/2000/jan/19/local/me-55528

RedneckRob
02-20-2018, 12:09 AM
Supposedly we use to have them down here in MS. Wish we still did.
After seeing some full grow ones, up close and almost to personal, I decided that the White Buffalo was just a normal size male, only white.

brassrat
02-20-2018, 12:20 AM

starmac
02-20-2018, 12:23 AM
I wonder if they are salvaging the goat meat, or just leaving them lay?

I would not think the buffalo are native on the island either, but maybe so.

foesgth
02-20-2018, 01:27 AM
The buffalo were left behind by a movie crew making a western. Most of the island is in a preserve so they have places to roam.

MUSTANG
02-20-2018, 10:45 PM
The buffalo were left behind by a movie crew making a western. Most of the island is in a preserve so they have places to roam.

But No Goats - They eat the native Vegetation (Do Bison eat Non-Native Vegetation?) No there is no salvaging and keeping the meat - left to waste as is the case in Most of the "Biologist/Eco-Freak" endeavors. If there is a need to reduce or cull a herd; at least they could use the meat to feed the Poor oh, that's right - it would be demeaning to have the poor eat that meat; they need Prime Rib to keep their spirits up.

MaryB
02-20-2018, 10:48 PM
Bison yummy! Love bison meat!

country gent
02-20-2018, 10:52 PM
goats and sheep graze vegetation so close that it kills it. Not sure about buffalo.

starmac
02-21-2018, 05:10 AM
I reckon buffalo are a preferred non native species. lol

Rick N Bama
02-21-2018, 07:07 PM
Supposedly we use to have them down here in MS. Wish we still did.
After seeing some full grow ones, up close and almost to personal, I decided that the White Buffalo was just a normal size male, only white.

We had them here in N. Alabama as well. I think they killed the vegetation by their wallowing in it.

MUSTANG
02-21-2018, 09:02 PM
The American Bison ranged into Florida, Georgia, the Carolinas and Virginia back in the 1600's (although no where near the numbers of the Great Plains). Have a friend who actually pulled a Bison Skull/Horns from a spring in Florida while SCUBA diving years ago.

Sled
02-21-2018, 09:21 PM
Yes Bison and Buffalo are often identified incorrectly. While often domesticated in their native region, Buffalo in this case would have to have been planted. Bison however are widely hunted in North America. Often raised game for harvest. My experience with bison is they are recluse when they can avoid humans. Tried hunting those critters in Alaska a few years back on Kodak island. Musk ox we’re easier to find

starmac
02-22-2018, 01:00 AM
There are several different species of bison, but as far as I know, buffalo and bison are the same animal.

It depends on where you draw to hunt bison in Alaska, delta area the success ratio is very high. If bison are on Kodiac, I would think they were transplanted there.

abunaitoo
02-22-2018, 03:53 AM
No four leg buffalo or bison. Have many two leg one's walking around.
Never had bison or buffalo.
Is it like cow????

Hannibal
02-22-2018, 04:00 AM
But.... it's not so good to be a Goat on Catalina Island:

http://articles.latimes.com/2000/jan/19/local/me-55528

If it's the same Catalina Island, as a US Navy SAR team member, we chased pigs down with helicopters until they panicked and went into a panic attack. We'd jump out the crew door and slit their throats. Made for a **** fine BBQ.

Nothing official about any of this.

To quote William Munny, "I've killed just about everything that walks or crawls at one time or another."

And I sleep just fine.

MaryB
02-22-2018, 10:22 PM
Bison hooves cut the ground and their manure fertilizes... how the great plains were formed! In some environments they can be beneficial by spreading native grasses.

starmac
02-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Hmph, I always thought Paul Bunyun and Babe formed the great plains.

abunaitoo
02-23-2018, 03:44 AM
So what does buffalo taste like?????
Since we don't have any to eat here. I've never had any.
From the picture, it looks very lean.

waksupi
02-23-2018, 01:00 PM
So what does buffalo taste like?????
Since we don't have any to eat here. I've never had any.
From the picture, it looks very lean.

It tastes like - buffalo! One of the only meats I know that is better eating right from the carcass still warm, than hung and cooled.

knifemaker
02-23-2018, 01:23 PM
Buffalo or Bison meat is very mild tasting compared to venison or elk meat. It is also very lean meat and has less cholesterol then skinless chicken meat. I have killed 4 bison. The first was a large trophy bull that went about 1800-2000 pounds on the hoof. His meat was tough due to age. For the best meat take a bull or cow that is 3 years old or younger. Due to leanness of the meat, cook to medium rare or medium as you would do elk or venison.

starmac
02-23-2018, 04:25 PM
The first buffalo meat I wound up with was from an older bull that a friend killed. The meat was tough, but still had a very good taste to it. I have since gotten it from younger animals, and it is just plain good eating.

RGrosz
02-23-2018, 04:53 PM
Years ago, was driving through Custer State park in the summer. Stopped to watch the buffalo (bison) in the park. There was always a line of cars around them. On guy got out of his car and brought a little baby out and set it on the ground close to a big bull. The bull turned away and started to walk away and the guy picked up the carrier and tried to stop the bull, set the kid and it's carried down and take the pairs picture. The bull (who was starting to show so agitation) turn to walk away again. The guy ran after him to slap it on the rump to turn it around. That's when I decided to move on. I had no desire to see the blood. When I went past the guys car, he had NY plates on the car.
As a movie quote says 'Stupid is as stupid does'
Now I live less than 200 yards from a fence that holds in about 40 head or so.
Rob

starmac
02-23-2018, 05:38 PM
There is a herd of over a hundred that stays in the highway right of way on the Alcan in Northern British Columbia. They roam back and forth for probably close to 100 miles and will sometimes bed down on the asphalt as it is a little warmer, makes for one heck of a bad wreck.

I passed within inches of one one night, and radioed back to my son in law to slow down, as I figured I had stirred it up, nope it just laid there, paid us no attention at all.

abunaitoo
02-24-2018, 07:51 PM
Can anyone hunt buffalo????
I thought only Native Americans could.
I've never had Elk, buffalo, bear, squirrel, or any other animals we don't have here.
How do they compare?????

Plate plinker
02-24-2018, 08:17 PM
Tags are available but expensive.

Mtnfolk75
02-24-2018, 08:39 PM
I've eaten Buffalo Mountain Oysters that came from a pair of Kodiak Island Bulls, they were pretty good with Creamy Horseradish Sauce.

starmac
02-26-2018, 12:03 AM
Can anyone hunt buffalo????
I thought only Native Americans could.
I've never had Elk, buffalo, bear, squirrel, or any other animals we don't have here.
How do they compare?????

Yes anyone can hunt them, the problem here is there is a limited number of tags issued, so you may put in for one all of your life without drawing a tag.
I have a friend that is one big time serious hunter, does a little guiding, but always fills his moose , caribou and what ever tag he decides to get. He has put in for Buffalo for over 20 years, closer to 30 and never drawn out, but his wife has and so has his daughter. He was told by a person in the game dept, that even though it was supposedly a drawing, his name will never, ever be drawn, because they depend on only some of the tags being successful, so they are not given to folks that have to good of a success ratio. True or not, who knows, but I know lots of hunters that have put in for 20 years or more.

RGrosz
02-26-2018, 04:36 PM
Oh yea, in South Dakota a lot of tourist traps sell buffalo on the menu for dinner and supper. Pricey but good. There are a few packing houses for the meat to And a couple of places at the Sioux City farmer's market that sells it. Also one place in town that has buffalo and elk for sale. The meat are very good and quite lean.

Rob

MaryB
02-26-2018, 10:20 PM
Friend of mine(RIP Gabbie!) used to send me a gift from here https://www.northstarbison.com/shop the bison was good stuff!