PDA

View Full Version : Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

Hickory
02-19-2018, 08:30 PM
My wife and I had grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup tonight for dinner.
This might not sound very exciting, but, I put a little extra in the sandwiches. This is something I've been doing for many years.
The little extra is onions & jalapenos. I slice the jalapenos and dice the onion and sauteed them together in butter until transparent.
Prepare grilled cheese as normal and add the onion & jalapeno, brown bread and enjoy.

Pigboat
02-19-2018, 08:34 PM
I put bacon and tomato on mine. Actually quite a bit of bacon ;);)

JBinMN
02-19-2018, 08:38 PM
Great eats! We have it around here about every 2-3 weeks during the winter months & once in a while the rest of the year.

Sometimes we add stuff to it for a change, but most often it is just the grilled cheese sandwiches & the soup.

We put up our own tomatoes & use that for ours, instead of store bought canned tomato soup. Seems like it makes it taste better than store bought anyway...
;)

LOL

I am eating home made chili right now, or I would have mad that for tonites supper.. LOL

I guess it will be later this week.
;)

MT Gianni
02-19-2018, 08:49 PM
I am not really a cheese person, I like it with flavor but much of the cheddar sold today reminds me of elastics. I do like a quesadilla with a sharp cheese and some ham or chicken.

country gent
02-19-2018, 09:20 PM
I put a slice of turkey, ham, or bolanga in my grilled cheese with a slice of sharp chedder on each side

MaryB
02-19-2018, 09:47 PM
Very definition of comfort food! Dip the grilled cheese in the soup!

country gent
02-19-2018, 09:53 PM
Not a fan of Tomato soup, but cream of chicken works as well also with the grilled cheese for me

jimlj
02-20-2018, 12:34 AM
I grew up spreading any kind of jam on my grilled cheese. Moms homemade strawberry was the best btw. I didn't know you could eat them w/o jam. My wife used to put mayo on hers until I taught her the proper way to eat a grilled cheese sandwich.

lead-1
02-20-2018, 06:29 AM
Replace the cheese with peanut butter, regular or crunchy, it's pretty darn taste bud friendly also.

opos
02-20-2018, 06:37 AM
I make a grilled cheese the normal way except I add a "layer" of deviled ham (with a little mustard in it) and cook it up...my Wife calls it "Alpo" (sort of looks like dog food) and man is it good...messy but good.

dave524
02-20-2018, 10:53 AM
Currently have a love affair with Asiago Cheese, a bit of shredded really helps with the flavour along with your regular cheese.

Wayne Smith
02-20-2018, 09:15 PM
Cabot Hunter's Cheese - at WalMart of all places. "Seriously sharp" white cheddar. I agree, Dave, Asiago is good too. If you want to have some fun crumble a little blue cheese into the mix. I make omelets with Stilton.

MaryB
02-20-2018, 09:26 PM
Cabot's is god stuff! I buy the extra sharp white cheddar big 2 pound brick every month. Greta on tacos, in omelets, on burgers, slice a chunk and stick it on a piece of buttered bread with some good mustard...

sawinredneck
02-21-2018, 01:47 AM
I’m a bad man, I put butter on the outside and mayo on the inside for more flavor. Once in a while I’ll even throw in some ham or roast beef if I’m really hungry.

Thundarstick
02-21-2018, 06:52 AM
When's a grilled cheese, not a grilled cheese any more?:?:

rockrat
02-21-2018, 11:37 AM
I dip my grilled cheese in milk. Don't remember why I started that, but thats how I like it. Dip my tuna sandwiches in tomato soup. That I started when I was 6 and that was many decades ago.

Blanket
02-22-2018, 06:38 PM
I like mine unadorned. Bread buttered on the outside, American cheese on the inside. Grilled. Tomato soup made with whole milk and a chunk of butter floating on top to dip in

CastingFool
02-22-2018, 08:55 PM
I prefer to use swiss cheese. Have not tried Asiago grilled, but it is great in an omelet. Recently tried some Kerrygold Dubliner cheese from Sam's Club. It is simply outstanding!

Tom W.
02-22-2018, 10:10 PM
My wife makes some killer grilled cheese. I'm more prone to make toasted cheese. Toast the bread, when it pops from the toaster pull it out and butter the inside, lay a slice of Velveeta or Swiss or whatever, any little something like the aforementioned bacon or onion and pop it in the microwave for about 6 seconds, just enough to melt the cheese some. I like to slice the sandwich corner to corner...

Outer Rondacker
02-22-2018, 10:51 PM
I put bacon and tomato on mine. Actually quite a bit of bacon ;);) Thats how I take mine.

The Dove
02-23-2018, 05:53 PM
Amen to #17 (Blanket) Post.

gwpercle
02-23-2018, 06:53 PM
Wonder Bread and Velveeta , cooked in a waffle iron.....brings back good memories.
I need to get a waffle iron...for grilled cheese .

ol skool
02-24-2018, 02:57 AM
Very definition of comfort food! Dip the grilled cheese in the soup!

Oh yeah!

My requested B-Day dinner is soup made from tomatos put up from SWMBO's garden with a grilled cheese sandwich. If we have a leftover lamb, thinly sliced with grilled onions go in the sandwich. Cheese: Tillamook Extra Sharp White Cheddar. Then a cup of decaf and a nap.

beemer
02-24-2018, 12:51 PM
I like grilled pimento cheese sandwiches too. The cheese needs to be so hot you can barely eat it.

Steppapajon
02-24-2018, 02:43 PM
Had to stop reading and go make a grilled cheese sandwich.
Life is better now.

Hickory
02-24-2018, 06:28 PM
We might not eat as fancy as Bill Gates or Ruppert Murdock, but we are just as happy and more content.
Life is good!

Blanket
02-24-2018, 06:34 PM
eating fancy is way overated

Outer Rondacker
02-24-2018, 07:11 PM
Wife just called. She is headed home from watching the grandkids. Wanted to know if I wanted her to grab something on the way home for dinner. I said nope Ill make us up some GS sandwiches.

MaryB
02-25-2018, 01:28 AM
We eat better because a lot of our food comes from the work of our own hands! Be it gardening, hunting, or fishing!

We might not eat as fancy as Bill Gates or Ruppert Murdock, but we are just as happy and more content.
Life is good!

Blanket
02-25-2018, 01:34 AM
no we just eat better because we eat what we have

MaryB
02-25-2018, 09:43 PM
One of the best kitchen gadgets I bought was a sandwich press. Even a cold cut sub is better toasted in it!

texasnative46
02-26-2018, 12:13 AM
MaryB,

What kind of press did you buy?

I used to like the pressed sandwiches made by a local diner (The Dawg House) but the place closed when "Big Bob" & his lady passed away within 6 weeks of each other.

yours, tex

MaryB
02-26-2018, 10:07 PM
Older version of this https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-GR-4N-Griddler-Silver-Black/dp/B002YD99Y4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1519697174&sr=8-5&keywords=sandwich+press as a griddle it is under powered but as a sandwich press it works well.

RedlegEd
02-26-2018, 10:11 PM
We eat better because a lot of our food comes from the work of our own hands! Be it gardening, hunting, or fishing! MaryB, you forgot about home brewed beer!
Ed

country gent
02-27-2018, 12:03 AM
I made another old favorite today. Saturday at the grocery store I hit the deli and got 2 slices of bologna 3/8 thick. cut a slice of red onion and separated it. fried the bologna on in the onions until oinions were done and bologna was dark on faces, Set on bread onions on it and a slice of sharp cheader cheese. a little ketchup and mustard.

Blue2
02-28-2018, 09:17 AM
Having read through the posts the common thread is that the grilled cheese sandwich is a comfort food. Relating back to something that was quick and nutritious for mom to get ready for a meal. Some dishes that I look at with fond memories go back to childhood memories or things prepared on the trail during hunting trips. I associate different food dishes with the pleasant activities that were being pursued when I ate them during meal breaks.

country gent
02-28-2018, 01:20 PM
Blue2 that's so true. The cold bologna and cheese sandwich and cold beer were really great at lunch sitting under a bale wagon waiting for empty wagons LOL

MaryB
02-28-2018, 10:01 PM
Summer sausage on a buttered bun with chips as a quick shore lunch during a day of fishing. Was mom's go to so she could get back to fishing! She would sit through weather that made me say nope and keep on fishing LOL

kootne
03-02-2018, 08:15 PM
Here's my .02 for grilled cheese; butter the outside of the bread and sprinkle powdered garlic on it before you grill it. Then if you want to spice it up more, Tobasco.

Mtnfolk75
03-02-2018, 11:31 PM
Is has been cold & snowy the last couple of days, so last night's Dinner was Grilled Turkey Melts with Tomato Soup. Even tried the Grilled PB & J for Dessert ..... Not too shabby [smilie=s:

fiberoptik
03-03-2018, 02:24 AM
Here's my .02 for grilled cheese; butter the outside of the bread and sprinkle powdered garlic on it before you grill it. Then if you want to spice it up more, Tobasco.

Don’t forget the fried ham inside!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sniper
03-03-2018, 12:09 PM
I put bacon and tomato on mine. Actually quite a bit of bacon ;);)

Don't forget the Lettuce!:smile:

My Idaho wife showed me how to put a large dolllop of Miracle Whip on (in) it...Omy, YES!

sniper
03-03-2018, 12:12 PM
I make a grilled cheese the normal way except I add a "layer" of deviled ham (with a little mustard in it) and cook it up...my Wife calls it "Alpo" (sort of looks like dog food) and man is it good...messy but good.

We had something similar in the Military....Called it S.O.S. or something similar! LOVED that stuff!:D

redhawk0
03-03-2018, 12:50 PM
I like a slice of vidalia onion and a smear of brown mustard in my TCS....good stuff.

redhawk

Blanket
03-04-2018, 01:40 AM
alright best ever. 2 slices of home made sourdough bread cut a half an inch thick. Covered with real butter on the outside with 1/4 inch slices of Velveeta on the inside. Grilled until toasted golden brown on both sides on a cast iron griddle. Dipped into a bowl of Campbell's tomato made with a can full of whole milk and a slab of butter floating on top. Beat that