PDA

View Full Version : Savage extractor detent ball replacement

rockrat
02-19-2018, 06:32 PM
Pulled part of a rim off and the piece of brass was under the extractor. Took a small screwdriver to clean it out and moved the the extractor and the detent ball launched into space and must have made it to a parallel universe as it was nowhere to be found. Looked at Midway and they were $2.99 each.
Though about a cheaper replacement so went to the hardware store, and bought a 5/32" ball bearing, but too big. Finally grabbed another Savage rifle I have and pulled the detent ball out and measured it at 1/8". Did an online search, can buy 50 for $5.95, but wondering if there is a local source, but couldn't find any small enough. Did an Amazon search and it came up with a reference to bicycles, so went to the bicycle shop today and lo and behold, they had some 1/8" bearings for 20 cents each!!
Bought 4 for 86 cents total. So far, fit just fine and extracted an empty case just fine. Scottish part of me is so happy that problem solved for 20 cents vs. $2.99
Hopefully , this might save someone some $$

rockshooter
03-01-2018, 01:26 AM
local bike shop here just handed me a few- of course i bought my bike there!
Loren

Chief
03-01-2018, 01:40 PM
I assume you dealt with this issue by now but the people at the Savage forum recommend a slightly larger size ball bearing. When I launched mine in the shop I had to find a new one and went with the larger one. When you buy ball bearing that size hard to find just one so I ended up with a packet of about 100 of them. For a buck to cover postage I could send you some. Pm me if interested

Bama
03-07-2018, 08:56 PM
You are lucky spring stayed or was found. They are harder to find a source for.

LAGS
03-11-2018, 11:32 AM
So far I have been lucky.
Some of the local Ace Hardware stores have in stock ball bearings from 1/16", 1/8" and 5/32"
The only smaller size that I wish they carried was 3/32 "
But I can not find them in steel anywhere.
But I did find them in Ceramic Detent bearings at a Knife building supply place on line.
There are only a couple of adjustable sights that use that size that I have found, so it is not a hot item for me.
But at least I know where to find them if I need one.
Ceramic ball bearings may also be why you cant find the one that went flying by using a magnet.