PDA

View Full Version : Neat trick to save money

Fly
02-19-2018, 02:05 PM
Guys I have been shooting black powder for so many years I can't count. Every now & then a new trick
I learn. This maybe the best I have seen for cap & ball revolvers. We know caps are so expensive now days.
There the make a cap deals out there & so on. But being I also load my own cartridge guns it has amazed
me how cheap pistol primers are compared to black powder caps. Well check this out my friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUfHjX6gAQA

Fly:bigsmyl2:

Eddie2002
02-19-2018, 02:25 PM
Great tip, wonder if it would work on a rifle? Think I have a couple packs of magnum small pistol primers left, I'll give it a try on my CVA Hawkens.

Fly
02-19-2018, 02:30 PM
I can't see why not. I wondered the same.

Fly

rodwha
02-19-2018, 02:35 PM
Very nice! Sure wish I knew that years back when accessories were nearly impossible to find for quite some time. It’s why I have a set of nipples for my ROA that use large primers. Thanks Doak!

sharps4590
02-19-2018, 03:36 PM
Well, isn't that clever! Just a shame all my C&B revolvers are Colts...:cry:

Artful
02-19-2018, 04:09 PM
Well, isn't that clever! Just a shame all my C&B revolvers are Colts...:cry:

What was it the man said "you can shorten your nipples to use this method on Colt replica's"

Maven
02-19-2018, 04:43 PM
All, Instead of using a folding knife to cut the tubing, why not use a single edge razor blade, or if volume is what you need, one of these: https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/NWSL-The-Chopper-II-p/nwsl-69-4.htm? Btw, I use one of those to cut [cross] ties for the HO scale track switches (turnouts) I build and hand lay. I'm sure it has many other uses as well.

Eddie2002
02-19-2018, 05:29 PM
Just tried it with a piece of small diameter tubing and it works well. I had one misfire out of three primers and that was due to misalignment on the nipple. The #11 nipples are a tight fit into the anvil side of the primer and if it doesn't align just right it misfires. Bet a #10 nipple that is found in revolvers would be a lot better. Great tip, regular #11 caps are going for over $11.00 a tin around here, pistol or small rifle primers around $4.00 per package. Any way to save a buck helps.

rodwha
02-19-2018, 05:39 PM
Save a buck or keep shootin’ if caps become hard to find again.

JBinMN
02-19-2018, 06:03 PM
Pretty cool idea! Thanks for sharing!
:)

RogerDat
02-19-2018, 06:08 PM
Man I like that, changes the whole cost picture of shooting C&B revolver.

I'm ok with the musket since it is not fired as many times but the pistol does go through some caps.

Fly
02-19-2018, 07:27 PM
Well I have many revolvers as muzzle loaders, but yes revolver can become costly with the price of caps. I make my
own powder, & cast my on lead, but the caps cost 10 cents a shot if you pay $10 a can. A short time ago they were
$6 a can. The small pistol caps are like 2 cents. One reason I bought a couple cartridge cylinders for my cap & ball pistols.
I started loading black powder cartridges cheaper than shooting them with cap & ball with saving the brass.

When surplus ammo was cheap I shot my Mosin Nagants for 5 cents a round. 10 cents a cap is unreal. Not that I can not
afford that, but I will not be raped ether.

Ya thanks Manny for the tip. Fly

rodwha
02-19-2018, 07:40 PM
Not that I can not
afford that, but I will not be raped either.

I hear ya! That’s what got me into casting as the only place I could find to buy cast bullets with a wide meplat was Kaido and he was charging $40/100 + shipping (which went up to $50). 29 of his 240 grn version could be made for $1 plus the casting equipment. Didn’t take long for me to buy the gear!

And the same went for punching wads and making patches, along with bullet lube.

toot
02-20-2018, 04:52 PM
so simple a CAVE MAN CAN DO IT!!! thanks for sharing it with us. why can't i ever think of some thing as simple as that??

sharps4590
02-20-2018, 04:59 PM
Wow, I had no idea percussion caps had gotten so expensive. Years ago I laid in several thousand and haven't looked at their price since then. I believe I'll take a peek at them next time I'm in the LGS as I'm down to a few hundred.

Art, now that you've prompted the less than trustworthy memory I do remember him saying that.

toot
02-20-2018, 05:34 PM
the same guy MANNYCA, also makes and sells a device that takes soda / beer cans and punches out percussion caps out of them, i bought one of them from him, works great.

Pine Baron
02-20-2018, 05:48 PM
Thanks for sharing Fly, can't wait to get home and try this.

indian joe
02-21-2018, 11:17 PM
Thanks for sharing Fly, can't wait to get home and try this.

Guys ....
What about the little plastic percussion caps that sell for kids toy capguns ?
We can get them for a couple bucks for a card - they come attached to a centre ready to fit the gun like a speed loader - fit the percussion nipples I have tried em on so far - dont know if I would trust em on a loaded cylinder gun but work fine for blowout caps if yr into that kind of thing.

Buzzard II
02-22-2018, 12:39 PM
Great idea! I guess there will be a run on tubing!

RMII
02-24-2018, 09:55 AM
This is awesome! This past hunting season I went to several local shops and no one had #11 primers. Was finally able to get some from a friend who found an tin in his garage. But SP primers - oh I have many 1,000's - yeah !

thanks

Texantothecore
02-25-2018, 12:14 AM
I used play caps for a while but it destroyed the pistol. EXTREMELY CORROSIVE. Like pouring acid on your gun.

OverMax
02-25-2018, 12:36 AM
The first time I seen 1/4 "plastic tube used on a 1/4 X 28 nipple was to protect its B/P Cap mounting on a #11 rifle nipple done to eliminate (rain wet'ed) miss-fires.
Never dawned on me to exchange a B/P Cap with small pistol primers. I wonder if the use of a Magnum S/P primer would ignite some of those hard to ignite {inline rifle} substitute powders? ~~~Don't know if that idea benefits a side lock all that much?

rodwha
02-25-2018, 11:41 AM
The first time I seen 1/4 "plastic tube used on a 1/4 X 28 nipple was to protect its B/P Cap mounting on a #11 rifle nipple done to eliminate (rain wet'ed) miss-fires.
Never dawned on me to exchange a B/P Cap with small pistol primers. I wonder if the use of a Magnum S/P primer would ignite some of those hard to ignite {inline rifle} substitute powders? ~~~Don't know if that idea benefits a side lock all that much?

If you are curious if they’d ignite BH209 the answer is no. A fellow made some custom nipples that fire large primers and someone who received a set tried this. He needed a booster charge for it to work well. I’ve never had issues igniting T7 or Pyrodex with a percussion cap.

mazo kid
03-03-2018, 01:11 PM
I have been doing this for about 3 years now. SP primers at about $28.00/1000 vs caps at $60.00/100, no brainer. And you can sometimes get 2-3 uses from the piece of tubing.

Nit Wit
03-11-2018, 08:38 AM
Wow, why didn't I think of that. I will try that on a rifle.
Thanks
Nit Wit

reivertom
03-11-2018, 10:24 PM
Just tried it with a piece of small diameter tubing and it works well. I had one misfire out of three primers and that was due to misalignment on the nipple. The #11 nipples are a tight fit into the anvil side of the primer and if it doesn't align just right it misfires. Bet a #10 nipple that is found in revolvers would be a lot better. Great tip, regular #11 caps are going for over $11.00 a tin around here, pistol or small rifle primers around $4.00 per package. Any way to save a buck helps.

11 bucks? Wow! I haven't bought any for about 8 years because I shoot mostly flinters, but now I'll have to give this a try. They sure weren't that much last time I got some.

dondiego
03-12-2018, 12:23 PM
11 bucks? Wow! I haven't bought any for about 8 years because I shoot mostly flinters, but now I'll have to give this a try. They sure weren't that much last time I got some.

They are available at Cabela's etc. for $7 or less in some places...........still too high.

missionary5155
03-15-2018, 08:33 AM
Good morning
Fantastic ! A super use for all those cheap out of diameter Rusky primers.

Another thought... Good tight fitting tubing may be near water tight. Those sudden shower days that catch us out and wandering may become near "no issue" without "dripping hot wax".
Mike in Peru

Black Jaque Janaviac
03-15-2018, 12:07 PM
Jeeves! This is genious, pure genious!

This looks like it might solve another problem common to BP revolvers and that is broken cap fragments jamming the works. Not sure, but I bet that vinyl tube will hold the cap in place after shooting a full-power load.

I have tried using Large Rifle primers and simply removed the anvils. They fit Ok on a #11 rifle nipple but were a pain to deal with.

trapper9260
03-15-2018, 12:54 PM
Have any one try this on a side lock rifle? if so how did go?