PDA

View Full Version : super blackhawh bisley hunter custom sights

Oklahoma Rebel
02-18-2018, 06:35 PM
I am looking for a front or maybe a set (F&R sights) for my new bisley hunter 44mag 7 1/2" barrel, either the shallow v rear with a bead up front, like they use on safari rifles, I have thought about putting a shotgun bead on top of the stock front sight, so I have something smaller and more precise to line up on the target, the thick front sight just isn't very accurate for me, I think that if I did that, or could find a sight similar to that in design it would help me to focus on the front sight and target better, and let my eyes naturally line up the rear sight. I have already tried bowens, brownells has a set of those glow sights, but im not sure if that would help much, it is still a blocky sight. thanks a lot, hope someone can help!-Travis

dubber123
02-18-2018, 06:47 PM
You may find differently, but the shallow V and bead aren't all that precise, nearly impossible to hold windage repeatedly. I spent the money on a set for a Freedom Arms. You will notice pretty much all of the target pistols you see have square notch style sights.

LUCKYDAWG13
02-18-2018, 06:56 PM
something like this ? https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/redhawk-sight-set-gold-bead-front-v-notched-rear-736676900480.do i like the hamilton bowen sights myself

Oklahoma Rebel
02-18-2018, 07:18 PM
I am looking for a front or maybe a set (F&R sights) for my new bisley hunter 44mag 7 1/2" barrel, either the shallow v rear with a bead up front, like they use on safari rifles, I have thought about putting a shotgun bead on top of the stock front sight, so I have something smaller and more precise to line up on the target, the thick front sight just isn't very accurate for me, I think that if I did that, or could find a sight similar to that in design it would help me to focus on the front sight and target better, and let my eyes naturally line up the rear sight. I have already tried bowens, brownells has a set of those glow sights, but im not sure if that would help much, it is still a blocky sight. thanks a lot, hope someone can help!-Travis

Oklahoma Rebel
02-18-2018, 07:30 PM
yeah!!! it is out of stock right now, so they don't show a price, do you know what they are charging? also, it is advertised for the SRH, even though it does look like my sight setup, are you sure that it will fit the SBH well? thanks for sharing that with me, I think it is just what I need!!!

LUCKYDAWG13
02-18-2018, 07:44 PM
yeah!!! it is out of stock right now, so they don't show a price, do you know what they are charging? also, it is advertised for the SRH, even though it does look like my sight setup, are you sure that it will fit the SBH well? thanks for sharing that with me, I think it is just what I need!!!

no i do not no if it will fit i just remember seeing it i did shoot with a guy who had a set up just like it but i do think that he got them
from Bowen or Gary Reeder http://www.reedercustomguns.com/information/sight.htm

Thumbcocker
02-18-2018, 10:23 PM
I have Bowen rough country sight on some of my .44 magnums. J currently have a spare sight. I have put in on the Bisley hunter a couple of time. It really didn't add anything to the gun for me. The other .44's were helped a lot but not the hunter model. Also I really don't like colored sights but I have left the red insert front sight on the hunter because it is easier to see in dim light and I have the points on the red insert where it fits into the blade memorized as points to hold up for longer range shooting.

OR, I have really enjoyed your progress on this revolver and your enthusiasm reminds me of myself in my in my early casting days. Please accept this advice in the spirit it is intended; that of being helpful based on experience. Shoot your gun. Shoot it a lot. Shoot until you are starting to get recoil sensitive and then put the gun away. If that is 20 clean sight pictures before you get tired then stop at 20. 20 perfect practice shots is better that 200 shots where you shoot after the recoil fatigue has become a factor. Dry fire a LOT. I put a target spot on my living room wall and dry fire at it during commercials. Perfect sight alignment, trigger press and follow through.

Finally don't over accessorize the gun. There is nothing wrong with making a gun yours with a few touches but many new shooters confuse adding things to a gun with trigger time and acquired skill. Once you have enough trigger time with your gun with a load it likes THEN think about what touches or features you want to add to it. Pay your dues with load development and time with the gun then think about stuff you want on it.

str8wal
02-18-2018, 11:00 PM
I like a gold bead or fiber optic front with a peep rear, but have a time getting a consistent sight picture and grouping with the V rear.

Oklahoma Rebel
02-18-2018, 11:08 PM
thanks thumbcocker, I will take that to heart.

Lloyd Smale
02-19-2018, 09:07 AM
I think bowen makes what you want in his express sight. Me I cant stand them but his target rear and post front are the hands down best set of sights you can put on a sixgun.

newton
02-19-2018, 11:08 AM
Here is a thought. It’s what I had considered doing before getting a scope. What about a gold bead or fiber optic front sight. Whatever stands out best. And then a Warren “one hole” rear sight.

I use the large hole version for my 4 5/8” 45colt BH. I like it, and it works well even with the stock blade front sight. I wondered what the smaller hole version might be like with a smaller and more pronounced front sight.

The one thing it does well is help you focus on the front sight rather than the rear. I was going to go with the fiber optic myself.

44MAG#1
02-19-2018, 11:47 AM
Thimbcocker is right.
I dont know how good you are with a handgun Oklahoma, but, before you get into changing sights, etc., etc., and more etc i would recommend getting at least decent before you start this. That way you will be avle to take advantage of the "help" if in fact these changes do help.
The first thing many wants to do is start changing this and changing that. I would say we all went through it.
Get up off the bench and learn to shoot at least decent off hand. Remember it isnt what you can do on your best day or what you do on your worst day that defines you. It is what you can do on the average that does define you. Anyone can shoot a wallet group or a trash can group but that really means very little.
Elmer Keith used the stock sights on his M29 carry gun. Can we do better?

Oklahoma Rebel
02-19-2018, 04:50 PM
my problem is, when target shooting, I tend to put way too much thought into making sure that the front sight is centered in the rear sight, which make thwe shakes worse, and also, it is kinda hard to know exactly where to put the front sight in relation to the bullseye, as in, should the top of the sight post be lined up in the middle of the bullseye, or set the bullseye on top of the post, like a popsicle, I have heard both. I do think putting a small bead on the top of the post will give me an exact spot to put my focus on the front sight and target, and let the rear line up instinctively. then I could put that bead dead center of the bullseye and shoot without over-thinking things, which, as you guys have probably figured out by now, is a big problem of mine! I don't want you to think that I am ignoring you, but in MY circumstance, I think I do need a little bit of help to focus on the right things while practicing as much as I can, just like you said thumbcocker... but I will stay away from doing anything else until I practice my but (and hands) off! thanks again for the kind wisdom from all of you!

44MAG#1
02-19-2018, 05:12 PM
Are you shooting from a rest or offhand?

gwpercle
02-19-2018, 05:18 PM
I have a revolver with with a red fiber optic front sight and a rear shallow vee "express" sight. The vee blade is plain black. The front round fiber optic sight is OK but with that shallow vee....precise shooting is nearly impossible.
I started shooting handguns about 50 years ago , competing in NRA Bullseye matches every week. I can shoot ...even won a few trophies .
Something about the shallow vee that lacks an imprecise sight picture. The vee with a white line may help...but with my v sight just hitting a soda can at 15 feet was a major accomplishment. I don't care for these at all.
I do my best accuracy work with a flat topped ramp front sight and a square notch rear, that is wide enough to allow 1/16 " of daylight on both sides of the front.

I gave that shallow vee many a work out...it's just not a precision sight.
Gary

Oklahoma Rebel
02-19-2018, 06:58 PM
I have been shooting off- hand so far, but tomorrow I am going to sit down at the bench with the target at 25 yards to start, really try to zero it in, so I can be sure that it is me, and not the gun, when I have problems shooting off hand, then when I have problems, I can adjust my grip, and my off-hand placement, stance, and whatnot to become the best that I can be. seems reasonable to to use the bench first to rule out any gun/load problems with accuracy.

Oklahoma Rebel
02-19-2018, 06:59 PM
thumbcocker, should I limit myself to 25 yards for a while till I get that down, then go to 50? ( that's as long as my range goes) or practice both daily?

44MAG#1
02-19-2018, 07:04 PM
", it is kinda hard to know exactly where to put the front sight in relation to the bullseye, as in, should the top of the sight post be lined up in the middle of the bullseye, or set the bullseye on top of the post, like a popsicle".
How are you holding still enough to line up on the center of the bull or the bottom of the bull if you are shooting offhand?
All you can do is hold within your movement area. So you are not holding on any spot but you are holding in the area of the spot.

LUCKYDAWG13
02-19-2018, 07:23 PM
What i did when i was sighting in my RSBH was to take a sheet of rapping paper white side out and put the smallest Dot on it that
you can aim at at the distance your shoot at ( aim small miss small ) or even some clay pigeons just to make it fun and yes start
at 25 yards and work your way out

newton
02-19-2018, 07:57 PM
Shooting from the bench is good I think in order to prove the load/gun sights. That’s what I’ve been doing as of late. I have just been resting the barrel/frame junction while supporting my forearms with something soft. I’ve heard you don’t want the butt or trigger guard touching anything so it will recoil naturally.

Word to the wise, cover whatever bags you rest the gun on with something you don’t mind getting ruined. The gasses that blow out the cylinder gap are brutal. It blew some pretty good holes in an old towel I was using, even smoldering it some. I plan on getting some soft leather to use for future range sessions.

44MAG#1
02-19-2018, 08:07 PM
The trouble with the bench is it is too easy to become attached to it. Oh, i am testing to get my very best load. Oh, i need to tweak this and that until all one wants to do is test and tweak when most couldnt tell the diffrence between a lod that is a 1.5 incher at 25 or a 2 incher shooting offhand. Then we see the better results in shooting from the bench and one couldnt be pried up off it with with a ten foot rail and concrete block.
Find a decent load, get up and start shooting on your legs and with only your arms and hands.

Oklahoma Rebel
02-19-2018, 09:02 PM
not me, I hate shooting off of the bench, after a minute it starts to hurt my back, I am glad you mentioned that it is normal to not be able to hold dead on, but more like stay in the closest area you can to the bullseye. I have essential tremors, so I cannot hold it dead on, but the extra weight of the gun does help dampen them out some. so like I said, I am definetly only going to use the bench to zero my revolver in, which, I think you would agree, is important. after all how do I know my sights are set as best as can be, when the barrel is floating around the bullseye. atleast if I get it zeroed on the bench, when standing, I will know when and how much I am improving, or not improving. I also must say, that when hunting, wether rifle or pistol, when a deer or hog presents a shot, the gun comes up and I shoot, and I don't even remember using the sights, so my main problem is to be able to get that way when target shooting. do you think maybe a time limit per shot would help or hurt, since I tend to spend too much time trying to get the sights " just so"??

Thumbcocker
02-19-2018, 09:14 PM
Here is what has worked for me. free advice worth every penny it costs you. I sight all my revolvers in to where whatever the front sight covers gets a hole in it. The front sight is what matters not the target. I shoot from a Weaver stance. I shoot standing in practice out to 50 yards. Beyond that I shoot sitting backrested. In a hunting situation I "cheat" all I can. I will rest my wrists on my tree stand rail or my left shoulder against the tree or any field rest that is available. Whatever helps steady the front sight on the place the boolit is going to hit.

By practicing unsupported when I have support it is almost like cheating and if I have to take an unsupported shot (usually sitting in my tree stand) I am ready. Front sight covers where the hole is going to be. The sitting backrested shot is killer in the field. I have two white oak trees on the farm that I have sat with my back against on the ground and killed a pile of deer over the years.

When shooting on the range I shoot at paper plates with a red spot in the center. Sights are aligned, focus is on the front sight. front sight covers the bull, squeeze and bang. Others do things differently but this works for me.

44MAG#1
02-19-2018, 09:15 PM
When sighting off the bench one must remember that there can be quite a bit of difference from offhand sighting and bench sighting. It all depends on how you hold on the bench. Some can sight either way and can be close with the other.
Are you one of them? If not I would learn to group offhand and then sight in.

dubber123
02-19-2018, 10:04 PM
I think bowen makes what you want in his express sight. Me I cant stand them but his target rear and post front are the hands down best set of sights you can put on a sixgun.

I agree Lloyd. I peed away the money for a set of express sights on a F/A. They are fun to look at, but that's about it. Target guns have notch sights for a reason. :)
A fool and his money as the old saying goes, I knew better, but did it anyways.

Oklahoma Rebel
02-19-2018, 11:55 PM
well, theres only one way I know of to find out, I already know when I do my part, and don't pull the shot, I am pretty close.. so I can compare that to what I see off the bench, and then figure out how to best fine tune it, I mainly need to check the elevation, because its pretty close horizontally, unless I pull to the left, but a few times I was hitting the ground in front of the target, and how am I supposed to know if I am pulling low then, or aiming high, the other times. I just cast a BUNCH of boolits, so tomorrow I will load them up and probably do a lot of shooting Wednesday, I will let you guys know how I do, and will most likely be able to tell you more about what I learn about the way I am shooting. thanks for all the advice, and I promise that the majority of my shooting will be off-hand, as it would when hunting. wish me luck!!-Travis

AKtinman
02-19-2018, 11:59 PM
Some years back Ruger offered a bead front and V rear as accessory options for the Redhawk. I think they would fit the Bisley hunter, but it does not look like a current option from Ruger.

44MAG#1
02-20-2018, 12:09 AM
"but a few times I was hitting the ground in front of the target, and how am I supposed to know if I am pulling low then, or aiming high, the other times.

How high was the target from the ground and how far away was the target.
How big was the bullseye?

Oklahoma Rebel
02-20-2018, 03:18 PM
bullseye was about 6 in off the ground, the target about 20 yards, and I think a 2 inch bullseye. like I said it happened a few times, not all or most of the time though, I know that right handers pull left, can you also pull down? if so is there a technique to reduce that tendancy?? unfortunately no practice today, we had a wicked cold front come in, it dropped 30 some degrees from 6am to 10 am! rain is freezing on the trees, call me a pansy all you want, im not going out there!~

44MAG#1
02-20-2018, 04:28 PM
Loosen up. Dont hold too tight. Align the sights as well as you can. You know within yourself whether you are holding normally for you. When you are looking at the front sight and they are aligned ease on back on the trigger. Fighting the shakes will only make them worse. That is true for all of us. You are in a different situation with essential tremors. You are going to have to figure what works for you. We caint. I shake more now that i am older. But, you can make the shakes worse by trying to fight them. Jerking ,the trigger because of what archers call target panic for sure isnt going to make them better.
Experient on what works for you is what you need to do.
All of us on here, unless we are in your shoes, cannot do that for you.
Good luck in finding YOUR way on this. If i could help i would. But still, you cant ignore the basic fundamentals regardless of your situation.

Thumbcocker
02-20-2018, 09:23 PM
Pulling low is usually a sign of anticipating the recoil. Handshake firm grip unlock the elbows and ride along with the gun.

str8wal
02-21-2018, 11:23 AM
I know that right handers pull left, can you also pull down

Low and left for righties means you are either jerking the trigger or squeezing the whole hand with the trigger finger or both. Firm grip and isolate the trigger finger, press slowly as you hover the sights on target. Slow and steady.

Oklahoma Rebel
02-21-2018, 02:26 PM
I think that it is not jerking, but holding too tight that could be the problem, not so much fear of recoil, ( I have a short barrel single shot 12 ga w/ pistol grip that I fire one handed, so definetly don't mind the recoil,lol) but I think it is, again, just plain trying too hard, I will work on that, I think it will become more and more natural as I practice more and more. thanks for all of you guys' help, I will keep you informed, I haven't lost heart, or gotten frustrated, so that's on my side!

str8wal
02-21-2018, 09:37 PM

Oklahoma Rebel
02-22-2018, 01:19 PM
that's an awesome chart, I am shooting leaning forward a bit with my head kinda low, that's how you see those 3 gun competitors shoot, but I guess this isn't three gun! one question, what does too little trigger finger mean, oh and I know what follow through on a bow is, but what does that mean pertaining to pistols? ( I guess I am showing my true "green" colors here)!! thanks!

44MAG#1
02-22-2018, 01:40 PM
I see someone who is over thinking this.
1. Stand in a comfortable position. This is easier to replicate each time.
2. Hold the fun in a way that is comfortable and not tight enough to cause the shakes. I know nothing about essential tremors bu t causing even more movement by what you are doing isnt smart.
3. Once you settle into your nomal movement area start on back with the trigger. Holding too long is detrimental to steady holding. But dont get aggressive on the trigger. A smooth operation of the trigger can be developed.
4. Try to keep the gun on target after the shot. Follow through. You wont be able to because of the recoil but it is a mental follow through.

The most important things in handgun shooting are

1. Trigger control
2. Sight alignment
3. Holding as steady as you can.
4. Accepting your movement area.
5. DO NOT FLINCH

Thumbcocker
02-22-2018, 02:41 PM
Dry firing is a great way to practice follow through. Keep sights on target after the shot. Develop a method to build your stance and grip with each dry fire shot. After you get muscle memory you wont have to be as plodding but start with foot placement then grip then sights then trigger squeeze and follow through. Don't shoot when you are tired or get shaky. A few perfect shots or dry fires at a time. Rest as needed.

Oklahoma Rebel
02-22-2018, 05:46 PM
thanks guys! one question- I have heard repeated dry firing is bad for the firing pin, my gun came with a yellow soft plastic cylinder cover, and it can be dry fired with that in, you can even see a little dent where the firing pin hit. do you think using that plastic as a " pad" for the firing pin would be a better than not? I would think it would dampen some of the shock to the firing pin. thanks again, I am starting to get to where I am not over-thinking as much when I practice dry firing, tomorrow I will be able to see how much I have improved, since it has been freezing rain here for the last 2-3 days, I haven't been shooting outside, but I have been dry fire practicing, by the way, I did make a small bead on top of my front sight, and it immediately got me to focusing more on the front sight and target, and letting the rear sight come up into alignment naturally, which, at least with dry firing, has helped so much, because it is more natural, I can get on target and shoot faster, whereas before, I was taking too much time on the sights, which lets the shakes build up. with all you guys' help, I will be hog hunting accurate in no time! ( not gonna rush into it though). thanks! PS neat chart sr8twall!

Thumbcocker
02-22-2018, 09:14 PM
Doesn't hurt rugers to dry fire the snot out of them. IME it smooth's up the action. Keep everything lubed and you will be fine. Think of pushing that front sight through the bull as you dry fire.

Oklahoma Rebel
02-23-2018, 04:54 PM
ok, that makes sense, is that part of what you meant as "follow through"? alos, kind of a side note: the lee powder though expander expands the cases, but then sizes them down too much when you pull the case back out, I put the hollow expander in the "universal expander" with the small cone behind it, just to it would lock in withought sliding back and forth, it works great! it sizes the cases about .001 under boolit size, .431, and doesn't over- flare it, it is just enough to set the boolit on top and load without shaving. then I always crimp seperatly with the lee collet type crimper. just thought I would share that, as it saved me from having to buy an m-die, and in my opinion it works just as good or better!