PDA

View Full Version : A Thing That Makes Me Go Hmmmmmmm......

JohnH
11-22-2005, 11:01 PM
I don't know squat about ballistics. I was looking at a 25 WSSM case at the range recently and a light went off.....What if a 300 WinMag case was so shortened,topped with a 180 grain bullet, loaded with slow stuff like 4350 or WC872 or WC 860? Would you get a more even ignition? Would pressures remain the same as in the parent case? (I know enough to know that you can reproduce higher pressures with faster powders) Would there be any advantage over a case like the 7.62x54R or 30 WCF? Is there an explaination to why reloaders get these silly assed ideas???:)

PatMarlin
11-23-2005, 12:05 AM
Silly is as silly does.. :shock: :mrgreen:

felix
11-23-2005, 12:27 AM
Short, fat cases have better ignition because the primer does not have to reach out so far. Mag primers are typically required for long cases. The short case has to be fat to have enough powder to absorb the primer's shock waves, so the waves will not combine and cause a SEE (set the powder on fire all at once). A fad? Yes, much like folks liking old military guns just for the fun of it. ... felix

1Shirt
11-24-2005, 05:30 PM
Yep, Like Felix says! Think we could get along just fine with 06 on the high end with Hornet or 222 on the low and a 243 and 270 in the middle. Personally, being one of the old vintage, think the short fat ones look about as appealing to me as short fat people.
1Shirt :coffee: