PDA

View Full Version : Range Report: 336 Texan & Cowboy

Whit Spurzon
08-31-2008, 09:24 AM
Posted this on leverguns and Marlin owners too.

336 Texan

93 grain Lyman mold cast (wheel weights) bullet, sized .311"
3.3 grains of Red Dot (=.5cc Lee powder scoop)
Remington 9.5 primer
Winchester Brass
Loaded with a $20 Lee Loader

I was given a few hundred of these bullets and I've been toying around with them in the 30-30. The last time out I tried them with 5 grains of Red Dot and averaged 1178 fps with OK accuracy. This time I dropped the load to 3.3 grains and averaged 1007 fps. The accuracy was 2-1/2" at 50 yards with iron sights and it shoots about 2" lower than 170gr Remington Corelokt factory loads. At 25 yards It managed to keep them at 1" including the flier and shot point of aim. it would make a good close range Grouse load.

The surprise of the day:
.314" average ~48 grain 0- Buckshot pressed into the case with thumb pressure
a 22lr case full of Bullseye powder
Remington 9.5 primer
S&B case (terrible brass, I won't reuse them again)

Out of curiosity I decided to try this load at 50 yards. I was VERY pleased to see that it shot point of aim and about 2" group size. Much better than I had anticipated at this range and better than the 93 grain load. The load averaged 1059 fps. At 25 yards this shoots under 1" and just slightly below the point of aim. Very economical. The most expensive component is the primer. Not counting the brass this load is less expensive to shoot than CCI Mini-Mags. The report is less than a 22lr and no recoil. No resizing of the case is required, just decap and reload. It is a bit sooty on the case neck after a while though. I'm going to see if Red Dot is any cleaner.

Next I ran some 170 grain factory Remington Core-lokt's through which currently a $5 per box rebate going on... Get it on sale and you'll end up paying less than $0.40 per round for it. This batch ran through the chronograph 2253 fps average which is almost 100 fps quicker than previous batches I've purchased. The accuracy was good, just slightly over 1" at 50 yards with iron sights.

This rifle loves and is sighted in for a 170 grain Laser-Cast bullet over 5 grains of Red Dot. I shot a 3/4" fifty yard group as a baseline and it averages 1024 fps.

The Cowboy
The last trip out the Cowboy showed a strong preference for the Ranch Dog TLC311-165 bullet with a Hornady Gas Check ( www.ranchdogmolds.com ) over 10.5 grains of SR4756 - which happens to be the charge my 45 colt Rugers like with a 255 grain cast bullet. Today that trend was tested and proved. The load averages 1420 fps and produced sub 1" groups once the barrel was fouled. I'll probably try this load for Cowboy Silhouette matches using this rifle. Mild shooting and low report.

6pt-sika
08-31-2008, 08:39 PM
The last trip out the Cowboy showed a strong preference for the Ranch Dog TLC311-165 bullet with a Hornady Gas Check ( www.ranchdogmolds.com ) over 10.5 grains of SR4756 . The load averages 1420 fps and produced sub 1" groups once the barrel was fouled. I'll probably try this load for Cowboy Silhouette matches using this rifle. Mild shooting and low report.

The Ranch Dog 311-165GC is an excellent bullet .

I've shot these bullets quite a bit over the last 2 years in about 6 different Marlin 30-30's . I have yet to find one that didn't do decent with that bullet and 22 grains of XMP5744 and a CCI200 primer . It doesn't matter whether they are ballard or micro grooved barrels .

Matter of fact I have my 336CB 30-30 set up for lever silhouette shooting this exact load !

Also have a Marlin "Glenfield" 36G set up for hunting this season with this load .

I've never run my load over a Chrony but near as I can figure it must be about 1800-1900 FPS . But this load is not bad at all recoil wise :drinks:

Whit Spurzon
09-01-2008, 10:18 AM
6pt-Sika; I would have to agree with you. The Ranch Dog bullet is excellent and has proven accurate in my three Marlins (2 microgroove and one ballard) as well.

I haven't had the same good luck with 5744 though. Lots of unburned powder, especially in the 45-70. I haven't found an accurate load with it yet in the 30-30, but I haven't tried it with the Ranch dog bullet. I haven't been real happy with AA powders and their customer support is less than stellar. Their published data should always be suspect too. A few years back they published a 30-30 load with that powder that was nearly 10 grains higher than the current max.

I still have a little left. I may give your load a try and see how it fares. What alloy are you using for your hunting load?

Thumbcocker
09-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Whit,

If you want to see happiness take a woman in your life to the range with a big bag of those bucksot loads and some soda cans. No reocil and enough accuracy for lots of fun.
FWIW I have had good luck with the lee 120 grn rn without the gas check sized .311 over 6.o of red dot in .30-30 aand .30-40. 311291's with no gas check size .311 over 6.o of red dot will do one hole at 35 yards on a good day with a Williams fool proof sight on a mariln 336.