PDA

View Full Version : brand new at this

unclebill
08-31-2008, 09:05 AM
ok
i have never seen a bullet mold in my life (except photo's)
but i have a source of W.W.'S
how about this kit?
Lyman Master Casting Kit

if a gas burner would be better i have one in the shed.
any advice is as always appreciated!
bill

unclebill
08-31-2008, 09:06 AM
nobody i know in person reloads or casts boolits so finding someone to show me the ropes aint gonna happen.

madcaster
08-31-2008, 09:17 AM
Where do you live at Sir?

timkelley
08-31-2008, 09:18 AM
Unclebill, Where do you live? I'd bet there is a board member not too far away.

James C. Snodgrass
08-31-2008, 09:21 AM
Well 1st off you need a pot to melt the WW into ingots. The you can use the kit. I would recomend a dutch oven if you can find one or a old cast iron skillet will work you have read I'm assuming in the posts here how to go about the process. As far as a ingot mold goes I made mine 1 1/2" angle to make about a 7lb ingot. You can find cup cake pans and such as a thrift store that will also work . And have at it to making ingots. God luck James:coffee:

unclebill
08-31-2008, 10:26 AM
i live near durango colorado

targetshootr
08-31-2008, 12:23 PM
Click on this link and read it front to back. Good stuff.

http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/smelting.html

copdills
08-31-2008, 12:43 PM
good luck Sir , I was in the same boat the above goatlips link helped alot

AzShooter
08-31-2008, 06:54 PM
Uncle Bill. You find the right place to ask questions. You can learn it all hear but get the LYMAN book on how to cast bullets and go through it at least once. It has all the information you need.

Get a LEE Pot if you want to save money. It does what all the others do at about 1/2 the cost. Get a 20 lb pot.

Find the mold you want and ask suggestions. What calibre are you planning to cast for?

unclebill
08-31-2008, 06:58 PM
Uncle Bill. You find the right place to ask questions. You can learn it all hear but get the LYMAN book on how to cast bullets and go through it at least once. It has all the information you need.

Get a LEE Pot if you want to save money. It does what all the others do at about 1/2 the cost. Get a 20 lb pot.

Find the mold you want and ask suggestions. What calibre are you planning to cast for?

well,
ive got 11 different mil surp rifles.
those are all 30 cal.
3 .45long colts
1 .454casull
1 .44mag
2 .357mag

AzShooter
08-31-2008, 07:07 PM
There's a wide variety of moulds for you to choose from. I like LEE because they work and because I'm cheap.

First thing to do is to check the bore on each of your rifles. My Mosin Nagants average .313 although they should be .311.

My new Finn Model 39 came out at .3095 so that takes a different mould then the rest. Any 309 would work in that rifle.

I used the 312-155R for my MNs at first and it helped. Then I bought a fat mould sized .314 and groups improved.

I like 2400 which you can use in almost all of your weapons.

for the 30 cals 16 grains of 2400 has been a champ with all my lead bullets from 155 to 200 grains.

Good luck.

goon
09-12-2008, 04:40 PM
I'm also totally new.
The only casting experience I have is from melting airgun pellets when I was a kid and pouring them into little arrowhead moulds I made, which is to say I know jack about casting bullets.
I don't have any equipment yet either so any advice I can get would be appreciated.

waksupi
09-12-2008, 11:17 PM
I'm also totally new.
The only casting experience I have is from melting airgun pellets when I was a kid and pouring them into little arrowhead moulds I made, which is to say I know jack about casting bullets.
I don't have any equipment yet either so any advice I can get would be appreciated.

Goon, the proper name for cast arrow heads is bodkins, and were made in England and Europe hundreds of years ago. So, you have a good start!

crabo
09-13-2008, 12:59 AM
There is some good advice a couple threads down, "Pictures of a good start"

EDK
09-13-2008, 10:44 AM
Copy the articles by Goatlips and keep it handy.

I would suggest the RANCH DOG boolit moulds or LEE tumble lube models for a start. You can use LEE LIQUID ALOX and the inexpensive LEE push through dies for sizing with the LLA. Upgrade to different equipment as your needs/wants change. See the link to Lar45's LsStuff at bottom of page for good lubes at discount level prices.

I have had poor luck with bottom pour pots. I took the valve off my LYMAN in sheer frustration a few weeks ago....I had used it with a ladle for years. Get the LEE Magnum Melter 20 pound ladle casting pot...less hassle and it is also the cheapest 20 pounder...less than $50+ shipping from some sources! My elderly Hensley & Gibbs (now Ballisti-cast) ladle holds enough lead for any four or six cavity mould I've used.

Others may disagree on specific items, but will agree that you should

1. Get a 20 pound lead pot.
2. Multi cavity moulds
3. Keep doing your research
4. KEEP MOISTURE AWAY FROM MOLTEN LEAD....You don't want't to meet the dreaded TINSEL FAIRY!

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

Lloyd Smale
09-14-2008, 07:56 AM
i started many years ago with a lyman master kit and it served me well for a few years. I think there a great idea. I think that every caster should at least start out ladle casting as its a tad easier to master then bottom pour casting. Everything thats in the kit is good stuff that will serve the average caster for a lifetime. For the price its hard to beat for a man that wants to try casting.