PDA

View Full Version : Cornell Publications LLC

BrassMagnet
02-16-2018, 10:02 AM
I just found a new source for my favorite book of all time!

Cornell Publications LLC
World's Largest Old Gun Catalog & Manual Reprinter
http://www.cornellpubs.com

This is my favorite all time book:

Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook
Third Edition

$24.95/ea plus shipping.

This is the cast boolit reloading manual with just Lyman/Ideal mould load data. If you have ever wondered how I am so familiar with the Lyman moulds just visualize me sitting on an aircraft carrier entertaining myself by studying this book.

I have heard Cornell sells quality reprints of old books and catalogs.

I just ordered some for me so I can do a little quality review. I know these are rare, hard to find, and they tend to have pages falling out when you study the originals as much as I do!

I know most members of this forum want to "help me do quality reviews" of these. I also know some of you can't afford the $24.95 plus shipping.
So if you can't easily afford one, post below that you want to help me out on this. Who knows? George just might decide I have too many of these collecting dust. He might even send one your way.

Here is a thread about George:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?249964-I-hear-people-are-starting-to-ask-questions-about-me

Do pay attention to where he talks about "just go get a cup of coffee!"

dsh1106
02-16-2018, 10:53 AM
I've been using them to complete my collection of handbooks for awhile now.

Awesome people to work with, Abby and Rob are very nice folks and I am sure anyone will enjoy knowing and working with them.
I recommend you contact them at < abbybooks@comcast.net >

Scott

bangerjim
02-16-2018, 12:44 PM
Been using them for years. Good people and good products.

Ickisrulz
02-16-2018, 01:11 PM
I bought a Cast Handbook #1 from them a couple years ago. Nice paper, nice printing and nice binding.

Smoke4320
02-16-2018, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the heads up .. will check them out

zymguy
02-16-2018, 01:41 PM
my dad has the third i have the fourth. I wish they had added the 3d data to the fourth, especally on calibers that have room still on the same page. I hope the next one recognizes powder coating and some of the common premium molds .

would some of the descrepencys or perhaps corrections ive noticed between the two (2nd and 3d additions) be off topic in this thread?

Nueces
02-16-2018, 01:51 PM
I got my original Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #1 many years ago and supplemented it with the Cornell large version, which is easier to handle and read, and it saves wear on the plastic binding on the original. Cornell is aces.

BrassMagnet
02-16-2018, 02:02 PM
my dad has the third i have the fourth. I wish they had added the 3d data to the fourth, especally on calibers that have room still on the same page. I hope the next one recognizes powder coating and some of the common premium molds .

would some of the descrepencys or perhaps corrections ive noticed between the two (2nd and 3d additions) be off topic in this thread?

The Third came out before Universal Receivers to measure pressures. The Fourth measured pressures.
Compare Speer Ninth Edition to Speer Eleventh Edition. It is amazing how "medium" loads without pressure testing can exceed maximum loads with pressure testing.
Now please restrict all comments to products and quality of Cornell Publishing or your desire to get a free Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook Third Edition!

BrassMagnet
02-16-2018, 10:23 PM
So no one needs a free Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook Third Edition?

phaessler
02-16-2018, 10:42 PM
And for the first time I am a step ahead of BrassMagnet :-D .... Great people to deal with, have been there many times.

swamp
02-16-2018, 11:00 PM
I have my original and use it often. It is a binder to keep it together.
swamp

bbogue1
02-17-2018, 08:09 AM
I am missing out here. I can cast but have no book to "teach" me the nuances and no reference to look up the mold I am reading about. I am selling some things to buy Lymans latest, but, this would be better, judging from the comments. I'll raise my hand and say "I'll take it" Right now I can pay part of the cost, but, not all till some of my items sell.

MOA
02-17-2018, 09:19 AM
I could not agree more. Great resource for our needs and enjoyment.

https://s19.postimg.org/nqoxsdkhv/Lyman_casting_books_1-4.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

SharuLady
02-17-2018, 04:03 PM
I will put my name in the pot for this book: Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook Third Edition. A book to assist or "teach" me would be a wonderful resource & Godsend to me.
So "I'll take it" if it isn't already requested.

SharuLady

BrassMagnet
02-17-2018, 04:39 PM
Bbogue1 and SharuLady get a free Lyman Cast Bullet Third Edition!

Littlewolf
02-17-2018, 07:55 PM
i too have dealt with cornell more than once and know from experience that if you have an old book they dont have in their list of products they can scan print and rebind for the rest of us to love

jmort
02-17-2018, 08:10 PM
I got one from them a few years ago
Pretty good copy of the original
Recommended

Cowboy_Dan
02-22-2018, 11:29 PM
I've been thinking of getting a copy of the 3rd ed Cast Handbook from them for a while but haven't gotten around to it yet. Good to see that so many have already given Cornell such high marks.

BrassMagnet
02-23-2018, 09:48 PM
Books arrived today. That is quick for a LFRB of books!

PhantomRider64
02-24-2018, 11:15 AM
I will throw my name into pot as well. I do not have a "mentor" and not a lot of time due to other hobbies, so printed info works good in my situation.

I currently have a Speer reloading manual and a reloading for pistol and revolver manual. I am looking for more printed information,,,never can have too much.

I am just getting into casting bullets and like many I recently purchased a Lee mold for ACP. Will be adding one for the Colt SAA soon. I plan to get other dies as funds permit.

BrassMagnet
02-24-2018, 11:30 AM
I will throw my name into pot as well. I do not have a "mentor" and not a lot of time due to other hobbies, so printed info works good in my situation.

I currently have a Speer reloading manual and a reloading for pistol and revolver manual. I am looking for more printed information,,,never can have too much.

I am just getting into casting bullets and like many I recently purchased a Lee mold for ACP. Will be adding one for the Colt SAA soon. I plan to get other dies as funds permit.

Try this:

Your revolver will tell you what diameter bullets it wants. Simply remove the cylinder and point it at the ground. Get ahold of some .452 bullets and some .454 bullets. Drop a bullet into a chamber. What happens? If the bullet drops right through, it is too small. If it hangs up and requires a gentle shove with a pencil to push it through, it is perfect. If it hangs up and requires a lot of force to shove it through the chamber throat, it is too big. Pretty simple. Try this test with both .452 and .454 bullets, be sure to try it in several chambers. The cylinder will tell you what diameter bullets it wants.

Driftwood Johnson said this well on Apr 5, 2015! I am merely quoting him!

Try this and then PM me with your contact info.

PhantomRider64
02-24-2018, 12:46 PM
Try this:

Your revolver will tell you what diameter bullets it wants. Simply remove the cylinder and point it at the ground. Get ahold of some .452 bullets and some .454 bullets. Drop a bullet into a chamber. What happens? If the bullet drops right through, it is too small. If it hangs up and requires a gentle shove with a pencil to push it through, it is perfect. If it hangs up and requires a lot of force to shove it through the chamber throat, it is too big. Pretty simple. Try this test with both .452 and .454 bullets, be sure to try it in several chambers. The cylinder will tell you what diameter bullets it wants.

Driftwood Johnson said this well on Apr 5, 2015! I am merely quoting him!

Try this and then PM me with your contact info.

Thanks for passing that along,,,A few weeks ago I slugged the barrel and all six chambers. The barrel slugs .4515 and the chambers slug at .453 and one at .4525. Will initially size to .452 as long as it does not lead and accuracy is pie plate good at 25 yards I will be happy. I have been thinking about getting another sizing die and reaming it out to .453 and see how that will affect the pistol.

PM on the way,,,

alamogunr
02-24-2018, 01:05 PM
I've got all 4 Lyman books but I like that #1 and #2 are 11 X8. When you get to my age, bigger is better in books. I'll have to be careful going thru the Cornell site. I just finished spending a lot of money last night at Bullets.com.

PhantomRider64
03-19-2018, 08:29 PM
Got my copy of the book from George last Thursday.

The quality review:
The front and back covers are made of a heavy weight paper, the pages in between appear to be a good weight paper. The edges are crisp and the binding looks to be very sturdy. It will take time to how sturdy but appears to be well made. The printing on the covers appears to be well aligned and crisp. The print on the rest of the pages is crisp and from what I have seen the print is square with the page edges. Some of the photo's are dark and a few are hard to make out. The only negative with what I have seen is that the print on some of the pages is a bit lighter than the rest. No big deal, this is a reprint of an older book.

I personally think the price is fair for the book.

I have started at the beginning and read about 30 or so pages, basically the history of reloading. It is very interesting and I look forward to reading more.

Thanks for the help George!

toot
03-20-2018, 03:25 PM
i'll put my name in for a 3rd. edition if any are left?

toot
03-20-2018, 03:27 PM
is there any cost for the book? if so i'll have to pass. social security doesn't cut it.