PDA

View Full Version : Iosso case cleaner and polish?

Murphy
08-30-2008, 11:02 PM
I've been curious about this brass cleaner for sometime now over the years. While having seen photos online in various auctions where people used it, it seemed to have really cleaned up the brass.

I visited the site for Iosso and found they also offer a polish for media.

Anyone have any experience with this product and what were your results?

Thanks,

Murphy

870TC
08-30-2008, 11:20 PM
I've used both the liquid case cleaner and the media polish. Both work very well. The Iosso media polish mixed in with corn cob is the best thing I have found to clean brass. I've tried many other brands and was not impressed. Iosso is the best, thing short of using Brasso.

Calamity Jake
08-31-2008, 03:46 PM
I use there liquid case cleaner but only on extremely oxidised cases. If the cases aren't clean after 2 hr's in my tumbler, they get the iosso.
Don't know anything about there polish

Follow the directions closely.

bcp477
08-31-2008, 04:01 PM
I tried the liquid Iosso case cleaner some time ago. It does work well - at least for the first few uses. After only 3 to 4 batches, in my experience, the effectiveness of it decreased significantly. So, now, after some experimentation with the old vinegar, lemon juice and detergent "home-made" case cleaner, I've settled on just lemon juice and detergent. Soak the brass for about an hour, then wash. The brass comes out as clean as I'll ever need it - not as shiny as from a tumbler, mind you - but just as clean as the Iosso ever produced. No toxicity, biodegradable, etc., etc. Sometimes, the simpler solutions are the best.

870TC
08-31-2008, 04:25 PM
bcp477, Lemon juice is basically just Citric Acid which is sometimes called "sour salt". It's used in most soda pops, sour candy, powdered kool-aid, powdered lemonade, sausage, etc, it can be bought on the internet in powder form. Last I looked it was around a $1.00 a pound in bulk and $3-$8.00 a pound in small quantity's. So it ends up being cheaper than store bought lemon juice, and is just as safe. You may want to try it. I bought a small quantity from bulkfoods.com (listed with the spices). A table spoon or two in a gallon of water. You can bring the solution(and brass) to a boil to speed things up if you like.

shotman
09-01-2008, 01:47 AM
the citric acid is in the canning stuff around here. The Iosso seems to do good on the out side better than the inside.I use an industral cleaner[like fantastic] and that cleans the burnt powder out then use the Issos. I used Ammonia for a while It is ok for the rifle brass of you dont leave the cases in it long . The thin pistol brass it will make them brittle in just a little bit. It does do a good job on the powder resdue . i will try the lemon mix shotman

imashooter2
09-01-2008, 07:02 AM
I once purchased 500 .357 magnum cases cleaned in IOSSO. When depriming, about 2/3 of them lost just the primer cap and left a ring of metal in the primer pocket that was pretty much impossible to get out. Didn't fill me with confidence about the strength of the rest of the cases either... I scrapped that brass.

I occasionally use the vinegar soak on badly tarnished brass. But after the IOSSO lesson, everything gets deprimed before it goes into the bath.

Shiloh
09-01-2008, 10:11 AM
The Iosso brass polish is a very good polish that will bring brass to a mirror polish. My '06 brass that is used often and gets tumbled repeatedly, almost looks like ornamental brass or jewelry! This is using corn cob medium.

Tarnished and heavily tarnished brass needs to have to tarnish removed first. The Iosso case cleaner does this effectively.

Iosso brass polish is now about $10 per 8 oz. :( I switched to Nu-Finish car polish at about $7 for a 16 oz bottle. I use Muriatic acid for my heavy tarnished brass. A few tablespoons to a gallon of water does the same thing. That stuff was about $4 per gallon. I purchased a quart for about $2.50 because I don't want a gallon hanging around. This quart will last for years at my current consumption rate.

Be sure and rinse the brass very well after treatment with muriatic acid. I don't know if it weakens brass like ammonia products, but why take a chance. I've never had a problem with brass using this method, other than normal wear and tear.

Shiloh :castmine:

bucksnort
01-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Gents,
Does anyone know what the active ingredient in Iosso is? Maybe it is something that can be bought at one of the big-box stores in a 55-gallon drum.
Thanks.

AZ-Stew
01-21-2011, 09:42 PM
Iosso brass polish is now about $10 per 8 oz. :( I switched to Nu-Finish car polish at about $7 for a 16 oz bottle. Shiloh :castmine:

+1 on that! Nu Finish is as effective as the Ioso at half the price. 16 oz - $8 for the Nu Finish at your local auto parts store.

Nothing wrong with the Ioso except the price.

Regards,

Stew