PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody still use a P-200?

Sled
02-10-2018, 10:03 AM
I've had this press set up for .223 for the longest time but haven't used it in over 20 years after acquiring a few Dillon presses. Not knocking P&W but I got spoiled with Dillon.

Does anyone else still use a P-200?

Good morning

John Ross
02-10-2018, 11:30 AM
Funny you should mention the P-200. I first read of the P-200 in a Handloader article Ken Howell wrote in 1979, and was underwhelmed, to say the least. Since 1972 I had been using a Star progressive press, and from the article, I concluded the P-200 was a waste of bench space. It wasn't strong enough to size rifle brass, and not only was it bog-slow compared to a Star, I doubted it was any faster than a single stage being run by someone adept at switching cases in and out quickly. What was the point?

Later, I read someone (perhaps Ken Walters) say that the P-200 was the perfect press to take to the range with a bunch of sized, primed cases and various powders and bullets to do chronographed load development.

DING DING DING! We have a winner! The light bulb went on over my head and I bought one for this specific purpose. Bolted to a section of 2x6, you could load it with seat and crimp dies for up to four calibers, C-clamp it to a folding table, and set up for testing anywhere.

That is the only use I have ever put it to, but the P-200 performs that task very well...

Sled
02-10-2018, 03:12 PM
Well now you have my attention. I’ll have to look for a good archive of that pub. It worked fine until I realized it could be so much better. It will be tough to get 50 for it even with the die.

John Ross
02-10-2018, 05:13 PM
Here's a link to a PDF that shows the cover of the issue you want to find. The PDF does not include the article about the P-200.

https://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/hl79partial.pdf

And apparently somebody still wants them...

https://www.reloaders.com/products/metal-matic-p-200

22cf45
02-10-2018, 08:14 PM
The PW 200 is a fine piece of machinery. I have progressives for calibers which I shoot volumes but keep my PW ready with several heads loaded with dies and ready to go for the pistol cals that I only occasionally shoot. Sure, not nearly as fast as my progressives but a whole bunch faster than a single stage.
Phil

Beau Cassidy
02-11-2018, 12:37 AM
I have one but haven't used it in years. I am thinking about breaking it out and using it some since I got rid of the 550 and 1050.

pauly
02-12-2018, 02:32 AM
G'day from Downunder . [smilie=s:

G'day I have one with 4 extra turret heads and love it I prefer it over my T7 for pistol ammo and would happily buy another if any of you bloke's want to get rid of one you are not using :razz:

Regards Paul . :)

flashhole
02-12-2018, 08:51 AM
Give that thing a face lift.

dale2242
02-12-2018, 09:15 AM
I use mine for handgun loading.
9MM, 40 S&W, and 45ACP....dale

Sled
02-13-2018, 02:27 PM
G’day Paul.
I had a blast on my trip to Australia. Flew into Cairns and played in the water and on the beach then drove down to Sydney and played in the Blue Mountians. What a hoot.
Cheers

Sled
02-13-2018, 02:31 PM
Well I’m surprised at all the interest but it is moving to a new home. I’m not sure why Beau would get rid of a 550. Then again I reload slowly and with good background music on. I guess it’s theraputic.

pauly
02-15-2018, 02:50 AM
G'day from Downunder . [smilie=s:

G'day Sled , I am glad you enjoyed your time down here even if you were at the wrong end ( I am at the bottom of the country in South Australia ) it is a pity you have let it go :cry: ( the P200 ) I would have gladly bought it from you .

Regards Paul . :razz:

bobthenailer
02-16-2018, 11:51 AM
I bought my P-200 sometime in the 70s and used it quite alot with no problems for straight walled pistol ammo and 223 after the case was first sized using a c press. I still have it ! but after buying a Dillon 450 when they first went factory direct and later upgraded to a 550. I only use it for loading less frequently loaded calibers like 32 acp & 30 carbine that is not worth the extra $ to set up the Dillon for.

If you rearrange the die positions in the tool head and have a semiauto primer feed and use a Dillon auto powder measure with powder die and powder drop tube /expander you can easily load 250 rds per hr.