PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 429640

IcerUSA
08-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Anyone have and use this boolit in the 444 Marlin ?

Pick it up off the Bay site (evil) for under 65 bucks and the gentleman through in a box of GC's for the added shipping cost and I thanked him more than once .

Mould was a little rusty from not being used much but it did clean up well , has the thin sprue plate on it so will have to get a rebuild kit with the thicker plate .

Did some mould preping on it , stoned the faceses and put a venting bevel on the top of the blocks and cleaned the vent lines as they are a little shallow and venting is not at the point to let the air out fast enough for bottom pouring , still need to do the carbide scribe to the lines .

First cast I did was just to get a good set of boolits to do a light lapping of the cavities and they cleaned up well and the boolits drop at .431 to .432 which is good for my 444 as I size to .430 with the other moulds for it and the SBH's .

As many know this boolit today as the Devaster this is the 2 cavity without the HP so it should be a good shooter in the 444 and SBH's .

All pros and cons welcomed and thanks for the info .

Keith

Glen
08-30-2008, 12:15 PM
Yes, I have. It shoots pretty well with H322. Seat it deep and cast it fairly hard for the .444.

EDK
08-30-2008, 10:51 PM
My pockets weren't as deep as yours or the guy who got the other mould off evil bay lately! Go to the LASC site and look at Glenn Fryxells article on 1894 MARLINS in various calibers...he really likes this boolit in the 44 magnum. You got a prize there pal!

I bought a 429649 from a forum member awhile back, but haven't done much with it yet. That might be an even better boolit for the 444 if you have one with the newer (faster) twist rate. There's been plenty of cussin' and dis-cussin' about the 1:38 twist rate in 44 and 444 MARLIN rifles. I've got a few other moulds to play with and watch the classifieds and internet auctions, so I'll probably find one sooner or later.

You have a good mould design from everything I've heard....Enjoy

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

IcerUSA
08-31-2008, 07:57 AM
Hope to try it out soon in the 444 and SBH's , everything I have tried in the SBH's have shot fine , from 150gn to the Lee 310gn boolits , the 444 is the older MG with the slow twist rate so I just use the GC boolits in it as most here say you have to push boolits in the 444 and so far that has held true .

One of these days I'll have to figure out which boolit moulds I want to keep as the best shooters in my guns and cull the rest of the heard . :) I think when I get to retire is when that will happen as right now with working and tring to get ready to retire are taking up way too much time . hehe

Keith

EDK
08-31-2008, 09:32 AM
I'll be 60 soon and haven't really decided what I want to do "when I grow up." I think about retiring, but then think "if I'm going to work after retirement, why work somewhere else twice as hard for a third of the money...I have this place by the tail right now!"

Those boolit moulds don't eat. Keep the ones you don't use much...or at all!...oiled and stored safely somewhere. The price will only go up in the future....especially if they are discontinued or something exotic. Your 429640 is a good example; another is 429303. I wouldn't go looking for moulds or reloading equipment as strictly an investment, but they do hold their value or appreciate. AND you got to use them and learn a little more. I started pricing another DILLON 550B so I didn't have to mess around switching the primer system on 357-to-44 (or vice versa.) A decent used one goes for close to current price...and then there's shipping...I ordered one from GRAFS and had it in 2 working days...$362 plus sales tax, without the conversion unit.

Catch you later...enjoy the mould and have a good week end. Time for the break fast buffet somewhere!

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

sundog
08-31-2008, 09:41 AM
EDK, same here, I'll be 60 soon and think often about when every day is Saturday. Like you I've kinda got it by the tail. The hard part is over, and all I have to do is show up in the morning, on time. The rest of the day takes care of itself. I learned that part in the Army - make first formation and you're good to go. By keeping on keeping on I have the ability to buy something like a gun or a mould on a whim, within reason, and not break the bank. Or something nice for the wife. Why would I want to change that?

Scrounger
08-31-2008, 10:52 AM
Remember that when "every day is Saturday", everyday is also Tuesday, one is like another and you have to create your own calendar of special days to look forward to. You've also heard this before but I'm going to remind you again: You're going to find so many things that need to be done, that you're going to wonder how in the He-doubletoothpick you ever found time to work an outside job 40 hours a week. Not that you'll want to give up retirement and go back to work--- Perish the thought! But it is an eye opener...

IcerUSA
09-01-2008, 07:08 AM
Yes , retirement is an eye opener for sure , half as much money and more time than you can think of at first . On average I think it takes about 6 months or so before you can actually fell retired , going to work for over 40 years has a way of making you feel obligated to do something everyday that is regimented .

I plan on doing something after I retire but it will be what I want to do and if I tire of it I can call it quits . :)

Keith