PDA

View Full Version : Zeiss counterfeit scopes

obssd1958
02-09-2018, 05:34 PM
I knew there had at one time, been a spate of fake/counterfeit Leupold scopes, but wasn't aware of the Zeiss Conquest issue.
A local online auction house has listed a "Zeiss Conquest Rifle Scope (New)", and when I looked at the pictures, something looked a little off. I did my research and found that there are some sellers on ebay and other online venues, that are selling scopes that are marked and marketed as Zeiss manufacture, for scrap scope prices ($45 to $100). One of the giveaways, is the box is cheaply copied (printing is messy, and the description on the end, with the specs, just has the supposed power = 4-16x50) and so far as I can tell, follow this list pretty closely:
Common counterfeit item descriptions include:
GOLD Scope Carl Zeiss 3-9x40AOMC Multi-X HD Riflescope Sight Aipr quake-proof
GOLD Scope Carl Zeiss 3-9x40 RED/GREEN Reticle Multi-X H Sight Aipr Quake-Proof
Carl Zeiss Rifle Scope 3-12X50 RED/GREEN Reticle Multi-X H Sight Aipr Quake-P
Carl Zeiss Rifle Scope 3-12X50AOMC Red/Green Telescope Sight Aipr quake-proof
Zeiss Rifle Scope 4-16x50AOMC Illuminated RED/GREEN Reticle Multi-X H Sight
Golden Carl Zeiss Rifle Scope 6-24x50AOMC Red/Green Telescope Sight USA New

The one I found locally was the 4-16x50AOMC. Zeiss never made a Conquest 4-16x50. If you're bidding on a Boise/Meridian based auction site, and you have a bid in on that scope, you're not going to be very happy!!!!!
I went to their offices, and let them know about it, and they told me that it didn't matter if it was real or not. It's a consignment, and they have printed "Please inspect" in the description, so that's all they are willing to do.
I realize that there are those that will say "buyer beware!", but part of the reason this country is in the state that it's in, is the loss of morality and personal responsibility.

Anyway, just a heads up.

Smoke4320
02-09-2018, 05:38 PM
yes we are in a world now that less and less people value personal honor .. its make as much money any way you can
counterfeit, copy outright lie just make the sale and get the dollars

Moleman-
02-09-2018, 05:48 PM
Sort of like Aimpoint ML2 scopes. I'd only get one of those used if I could inspect it or new if it was from a reputable place I've done business with.

Ben
02-09-2018, 06:01 PM
A seller ( in China ) was offering Leupold Vari X III, 1X-4x variables for less than $100 new.

I didn't buy it.

I did send him a question asking why he was selling a real Leupold scope from China at less than $100.

I never got a reply.

Buyer beware.............. ! ! ! ! !
If it sounds too good to be true, it most likely isn't true.

Rick Hodges
02-09-2018, 06:26 PM
A seller ( in China ) was offering Leupold Vari X III, 1X-4x variables for less than $100 new.

I didn't buy it.

I did send him a question asking why he was selling a real Leupold scope from China at less than $100.

I never got a reply.

Buyer beware.............. ! ! ! ! !
If it sounds too good to be true, it most likely isn't true.

I noticed on the Leupold adds on ebay that under details in the manufacturer position it said "generic". This was for a Vari-X III 1.5-5x.
Fleabay doesn't seem to care one way or another.

bdicki
02-09-2018, 08:34 PM
People are buying Burris Fastfire III red dot's and others on Amazon and replacing the original with a Chinese copy and returning it (because of the generous return policies) to Amazon with all the accessories. It's then put back in stock and sold to the next buyer.

RED BEAR
02-09-2018, 09:48 PM
Look on evil bay there are tons of them coming out of China. I've seen $900 dollar Zeiss scopes for $30 dollars. They also sell bridges to. Seems the chicoms will copy anything.

M-96 Hunter
02-09-2018, 10:19 PM
I have one of the 3-9 Conquests on order. Cost $63.00 shipped from China. Obvious fake as it's illuminated, mil-dot and has an AO. Gonna ring it out, run common tests and see how it does. Best case it can go on a 22, worst case I file a complaint with Ebay and get my $ back. These guys never will pay for a return, hence buyer gets refunded.

nagantguy
02-09-2018, 11:48 PM
Thank you for the heads up on this. I'm in the market for some new class and will proceed with caution. As Ziess is a contender

Lloyd Smale
02-10-2018, 09:28 AM
yup that was one of the first optic rip off counterfeits that I saw happen.
Sort of like Aimpoint ML2 scopes. I'd only get one of those used if I could inspect it or new if it was from a reputable place I've done business with.

leadman
02-10-2018, 10:57 AM
I remember an ad by Weatherby from back in the 60s or 70s about their scopes being copied. Nothing new.

waksupi
02-10-2018, 11:50 AM
About ten years ago, China bought the lens making machinery and technology from Zeiss. So, maybe hey are the same animal in a different hide?

RED BEAR
02-10-2018, 12:00 PM
Not sure about the same animal. As a lot of reviews say they work but not to expect Zeiss quality optics. They may be worth what you pay.

swheeler
02-10-2018, 12:06 PM
I've seen the 80.00 Zeiss conquests on Ebay, shipping from China, and read some of the reviews, not good reviews, RUN.

Plate plinker
02-10-2018, 12:07 PM
I noticed on the Leupold adds on ebay that under details in the manufacturer position it said "generic". This was for a Vari-X III 1.5-5x.
Fleabay doesn't seem to care one way or another.

FLEABAG should be forced to spend some money and go try and eliminate counterfeit sales. My opinion.

mold maker
02-10-2018, 01:52 PM
If fleabay is paid on a % basis, WHY WOULD THEY CARE? A dollar is a dollar.

Rufus Krile
02-10-2018, 03:17 PM
At the SHOT show in '04 or '06 (CRS problems these days...) went for a stroll down one of the optics aisles and ran into "The Happy Valley Sunshine Sales Company" or some such moniker out of Shanghai. Noticed that their displayed scopes looked suspiciously like Simmons products so I asked the guy behind the counter if they made scopes for Simmons... the conversation became a bit convoluted.

He: Jess....

Me: Do you also make for others?

H: Jess....

M: WHICH others?

H: Jess....

M: Does anyone back there speak english?

H: (you can see this one coming...) Jess...

Finally another mind-numbing hyper-salesman comes out and informs me that, although they manufacture for many different entities, they weren't at liberty to discuss their other customers... HOWEVER... if I would care to purchase 10 of their scopes they would be more than happy to apply any logo I desired. Thought of a brand called 'Snake River Rufus Krile' immediately. Then my wife kicked my shin and we adjourned to the bar. Another missed opportunity in life...

KenT7021
02-10-2018, 04:29 PM
I have a counterfeit Leupold scope I obtained from AliExpress just to see if the ban on ordering from Washington was still in effect.The scope had the appropriate Leupold markings and came in a plain box.I haven't used it but the clearness of the optics is good.I have used a number of Chinese made scopes on high powered spring piston air rifles which tend to destroy scopes.None of them have failed and optics were in line with the price paid for the scope.Some of the Chinese scopes were not cheap but you usually get what you pay for.

Plate plinker
02-10-2018, 07:48 PM
If fleabay is paid on a % basis, WHY WOULD THEY CARE? A dollar is a dollar.

Because it’s bad business. Also I would think it opens them up to being sued by the actual companies that are injured by this behavior. I am all for eBay getting nailed for facilitating criminal behavior.

M-96 Hunter
02-13-2018, 06:36 PM
Ebay has a mechanism to report fakes. Problem is as soon as they kill one 5 more pop up.

myg30
02-17-2018, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the heads up on scopes. I have heard about the red dot copies but not the scopes. Shame there is no real recourse to keep his from spreading. I’ve been reading alot about the pocket knife copies going around. Most of the major brands like spyderco and such.
Guess the old rule apply here, if it sounds to good to be true, then it is !!

Mike

Outer Rondacker
02-22-2018, 11:53 AM
I have learned this over the last few months as well. I am and have been scope shopping. I just ordered a bipod from fleebay and it stated Harris clone. Retractable legs by spring. Humm for 16.99 how bad can it be. It came 11 days later. Was from china. Stated it was a us seller. Legs shot out and not retracted. I told seller it was false advertising. They said oh we send you back 3 dollars. I still stated its false advertising. I have tried to leave bad feedback it will not let me due to they are a power seller. So I took their 3 dollars. Do not get me wrong bipod works well but not what I was under the impression I was getting. Now here is the kicker.

If by some chance this is not allowed on this site or bad Mods please just wipe it out I am not meaning to do anything wrong here.

This is what the email states from PP. 谢 登力 just sent you a partial refund of $3.00 USD. Then I get email from ebay saying a full refund was issued and I can not leave feedback on this item. I paid 16.99. Now for the translation of the user name. Ready! This refund will appear on your credit card statement as credit from PAYPAL *GUANGZHOUFE. If you have any questions, please contact 谢 登力.

What the heck?????

A friend of mine bought a scope from armslist private and it was to be a SWFA and ended up being some china 39 dollar or so scope that somebody had put a lot of time into marking up to look just like a SWFA. Price was to good to be true. Seller does not answer him and has shown PP he shipped the item. He is out the money. I will see if he still has a pic of it as I think he sold it on a savage 22 mag.

Thank you OP as we need to keep each other warned about these kinda scams.

M-96 Hunter
02-22-2018, 05:06 PM
Hey, my fake Zeiss Conquest 3-9 arrived today. I'll get some pics up later. To the really uninformed it could pass the test. To anyone who read up on Zeiss scopes, they would know. The following is wrong.

-illuminated
-mil-dot
-rubber washers under W&E knobs
-50 mm objective
-no serial #
-AO on front

That said, it looks clear and well finished.
Will take to range Sunday and shoot the square with a know accurate rifle.

Gonna file a complaint with PayPal on fake goods.

Outer Rondacker
02-24-2018, 02:28 PM
Good luck with ebay. I got a fake bipod and the seller only returned 3 dollars. Ebay said its a fixed amount or something. Bipod works just not what it was said to be. Tell me again why we let them import ****.......

I tell everyone I know. If you are not going to dial and a scope will hold zero with mil or moa marks then it does not need to cost much. I hope it works out for you.

dragon813gt
02-24-2018, 03:17 PM
My issue w/ this type of thing is squarely on China. And it's a societal thing. They don't find anything wrong w/ copying a product. A lot needs to be done to correct their blatant disregard for intellectual and property rights. The WTO has been turning a blind eye for far to long. Everyone knows that China rips off designs and sells cheap knockoffs that are poor quality. It's not like this is a secret.

Outer Rondacker
02-24-2018, 04:37 PM
My issue w/ this type of thing is squarely on China. And it's a societal thing. They don't find anything wrong w/ copying a product. A lot needs to be done to correct their blatant disregard for intellectual and property rights. The WTO has been turning a blind eye for far to long. Everyone knows that China rips off designs and sells cheap knockoffs that are poor quality. It's not like this is a secret.

No sir it is not. A few years back I got into mutilrotor flying with video gear before it was even known about as drones. A few guys from MIT and BD where part of a chat group I was in about this stuff. Just like we are here. Well 11 of us had a plan. We built and designed a 250mm quadcopter that was very simple and could be used for racing. We wanted to put one in the back of ever other cop car for when needed. While doing the testing we released a few photos. It was around a week later I came home to messages saying go hear and check this link out. They had reversed copied it size by size based off the size of the motors in the pics. They had no problems with admitting this. It was a company called Hobby King China. They could sell the frames for 24.95 shipped from China on ebay. We could not even source parts before labor to make it that cheap. Still have the last prototype. Works great.