PDA

View Full Version : GP100 Wiley Clapp 3"

Lefty Red
02-09-2018, 02:37 PM
Thinking of picking up one of these or the Match Champion. Not there is anything wrong with just a plain old GP100.

From what I could tell, the WC is a 3" GP will fixed Novak rear and a Hi Viz FO front. Both are able to be removed and replaced with whatever you wanted. It's cyclinder is beveled and it has a matte grey finish.

The Match Champion is a 4" and has an adjustable rear and a FO front sight, but the front sight isn't made to be replaced like the traditional GPs (the old style like the RedHawks). But it's just a dovetail. And of course it's got the trimmed underlug and flattened sides of the barrel. Making it 2 ounces lighter than a standard 4" GP and handle better, like a Security Six. It also has the cool Hogue wood grips on it. And it's Chambers are reamed out for quicker use of speed loaders.

Truely, I won't be hunting with it or doing SSR with it. But I like the features of the MC. And I doubt I carry the WC, but I still like it. Mostly either would be just a bedside weapon and what I would were when outside.

So what are your thoughts on these two fine looking varieties of the GP100? I think I know what I'm going to do, but hoping someone here has some first hand knowledge.

Lefty

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

shooting on a shoestring
02-10-2018, 12:19 AM
Or....maybe a new GP100 7 shot 2.75” barrel? Fiber optic front that changes like the standard GP100, same adjustable/replaceable rear. Maybe put night sights on it? And the same gun also comes in 4.2 and 6 inch.

Of course there’s not a bad choice in the GP100s.

Lefty Red
02-10-2018, 12:26 AM
Or....maybe a new GP100 7 shot 2.75” barrel? Fiber optic front that changes like the standard GP100, same adjustable/replaceable rear. Maybe put night sights on it? And the same gun also comes in 4.2 and 6 inch.

Of course there’s not a bad choice in the GP100s.I saw that on the website, the 7 shooters!

Well I went with a different route. I got a plain GP100, and bought a FO front sights and the Hogue Tamer Grips. The plain GP100 had the best trigger! It put the Match Champion and the Wiley Clapp to shame!

But I'm with you, the new way the GP100 uses the SRH front sight system.

Lefty

Forrest r
02-10-2018, 06:51 AM
I saw that on the website, the 7 shooters!

Well I went with a different route. I got a plain GP100, and bought a FO front sights and the Hogue Tamer Grips. The plain GP100 had the best trigger! It put the Match Champion and the Wiley Clapp to shame!

But I'm with you, the new way the GP100 uses the SRH front sight system.

Lefty

I don't blame you. Took a hard look at the wc/talo gp-100's. They just didn't work for me, like you said. The triggers were terrible on the 3 different ones I looked at over a 4 month period of going to gunshops and gunshows.

Ended up with a talo s&w.
https://i.imgur.com/5vi2mrE.jpg

Better trigger, 7 shots and ported.
https://i.imgur.com/V4IV6Qv.jpg

These ported talo s&w's are the cat's meow when it comes to heavy bullets (170gr) & full house loads of 2400.

Lefty Red
02-10-2018, 09:11 AM
Is that the 586 L-Comp?
I would have gotten that one too! They are sweet.

I originally went in to trade up to a SW 686 or the 3" 686+(7 shots). But neither of them felt as good to me and this plain GP100. And it was $150-$250 cheaper than the other choices. I spent $80 on the sight, grips, rear blade, shims, and springs. But still least it's going to be done right. And I really don't know if I'm even going to mess with the shims and springs now. The trigger is that good.

Lefty

shooting on a shoestring
02-10-2018, 10:03 PM
Which barrel length on your new GP100?

Yep as the proud owner of two GP100s (older 4 inch and newer 4.2 inch), they’re never the wrong answer.

The DA on both are great. I did take the hammers to a guided whet rock and got the SA triggers improved to hardly any detectable creep. They’re a joy to shoot. They’ll never match the diverging angle hammer/sear SA triggers of the old Smiths, but they’re better than most.