PDA

View Full Version : Stock pitch

Steven66
02-09-2018, 10:41 AM
Is there a standard or rule of thumb for determining stock pitch for bolt action hunting rifles? In my case, for offhand and sitting shooting; not concerned about prone. Gil Sengel's article in Rifle #246 held that "...virtually everyone is best fit by a pitch of 83 degrees", with exceptions for bulky jackets, crescent buttplates or trap guns with deeply curved recoil pads. Is there some method to come up with this angle other than "try shouldering different rifles until you find one you like"?

Jedman
02-09-2018, 07:08 PM
Steven, I don't think there is any magic angle that fits everyone best. If your butt plate or pad is flat I might cut the stock to 83 degrees and tape on your butt plate and try it in your shooting positions. If you don't like it you can shim either the top or bottom and play with it to see if something else feels better.
I was a wing shooter and also shot thousands of rounds of skeet with dozens of shotguns and for myself like a straight butt for all shooting. Same preference with rifles I do own guns with slight curved butts and carbine style butts that are good so if I was starting with a new stock I would tinker with it as I mentioned.

That might not have helped you a bit but I have done a little stock work and would be the way I would tackle it.

Jedman

waksupi
02-10-2018, 11:33 AM
When I build a rifle, I close my eyes, mount the rifle to my shoulder. Open my eyes, and see if I am lined up properly to the sight plane. Adjust as necessary. I adjust both pitch and comb height.

KCSO
02-10-2018, 11:56 AM
Waksupi has it again that is the right way to do it. I have a presswood stock dummy for folks who cant come to the shop. The buttstock is hinged and I can use it as a pattern. I always put in some cast off. If a stock is right you can bring it up with your eyes closed and when you open them you are lined up on the sights.