PDA

View Full Version : Had a S&W 629 Classic fall in my lap yesterday

Down South
08-29-2008, 11:47 PM
wasn’t in the market for a new handgun. I have a 454 Casull SRH on order now and should be in any day.
My wife’s nephew called me to see if I wanted to buy his 629 44 mag W/5” barrel. He has only shot one box of factory ammo through it. He was going to sell it to our local gun shop so to speak. I asked him what they had offered him then told him I’d give him $50 more plus the chance to get it back if he changed his mind. He has already told me that he won’t change his mind so I’m the proud new owner of a like new 629. I did buy a box of factory ammo to test it out with. The revolver shoots great. Of course I cleaned it up and checked it out. I’m impressed that the cylinder gap is as close as it is. I got a .005” clearance, virtually no end shake and lock up is very good. Timing looks great too. The trigger is very good for not to ever have any work done to it. I’ll run a few thousand rounds through it and then reevaluate the trigger. I haven’t had time to slug the barrel or cylinder throats yet but from the little research that I’ve done it appears that the 44’s have tight throats. A trip to Cylinder Smith may be in order.

I’ll have to put the 44 on the back burner for a while. I’ve been gearing up for the 454 and the 44 came in unexpected.
not a great pic but neither am I a Photographer.
A picture that I just took of the 629 Classic.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=144

kingstrider
08-30-2008, 12:18 AM
Nice piece. I have a ported 629 and its my favorite handgun.

454PB
08-30-2008, 12:20 AM
That's a beauty!

I've owned two Model 29's and a 57, but never a 629. Mine were great shooters, although I used relatively mild loads in them. I reserve the really heavy stuff for my Redhawk.

lathesmith
08-30-2008, 10:21 AM
(sniff)! Just looking at one of those beautiful 629's brings a tear to my eye!.. I just ran onto one myself, and your description pretty much matches mine. My 629 Classic DX has the 8 3/8" barrel-- I think that is where the "DX" comes from--and it is beautiful! Congrats on being in position to scoop up a great find!
lathesmith

9.3X62AL
08-30-2008, 01:08 PM
A beauty, for sure.

The 5" barrel length is making inroads into my revolver assortment steadily. Don't ask me why, but I like it for some reason.

EDK
08-30-2008, 01:31 PM
A 5 inch barrel on a Smith & Wesson (or a 5.5 on a Ruger single action) has been a favorite of mine for years. I have a 629 and 625 in 5 inch and a 5.5 inch 627 from the "gun of the week" period during the late '80s at Smith and Wesson.

This length is ideal for a carry gun for hunting. woodswalking, cutting firewood or general farm work. Short and light enough to carry; long enough that the muzzle blast is endurable and enough weight that the recoil isn't bad either.

Why don't I ever get deals like this!

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

Shuz
08-30-2008, 07:36 PM
(sniff)! Just looking at one of those beautiful 629's brings a tear to my eye!.. I just ran onto one myself, and your description pretty much matches mine. My 629 Classic DX has the 8 3/8" barrel-- I think that is where the "DX" comes from--and it is beautiful! Congrats on being in position to scoop up a great find!
lathesmith

I have two 629-3 Classic DX's in 5 inch bbl. The DX designation was given to those guns that gave an accuracy when shot of better than 1-1/2" groups at 25 yds as well as a set of 4 or 5 interchangable front sights and a set of nice wood grips as well as the factory Hogues. The factory target was included with the gun. S&W no longer offers the DX version in 5 inch persuasion and I'd never part with either of mine. Both have accounted for several whitetails. One wears a Leupold 4X EER scope and the other wears a Hi-Viz type aftermarket sight that I bought from Dillon. Any of you folks out there with aging eyes, like mine, will love that sight.--Shuz

lathesmith
08-30-2008, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the info Shuz, I will definitely try mine before I do anything to it. If it ain't broke...
lathesmith

Down South
08-31-2008, 10:30 PM
Any of you folks out there with aging eyes, like mine, will love that sight
I put a set of fiber optics on my GP 100 for that same reason. I'm thinking Red Dot for the 454 Casull I'm buying. I haven't made any decisions as far as sights yet for the 629.

Lloyd Smale
09-01-2008, 09:05 AM
very nice gun!

GLynn41
09-01-2008, 08:36 PM
fall into your lap did it hurt? good going

dukers65
09-01-2008, 10:06 PM
that is a nice revolver. dan

cubflyer75
09-01-2008, 11:43 PM
Beautiful piece! I have one just like it. It shoots 3 1/2" group @ 50 yds. if I do my part. The 5" barrel is the perfect length too. This is the gun I hunt whitetail with. Mike