PDA

View Full Version : High Standard Model 88

dddddmorgan
02-08-2018, 12:50 AM
So I'm taking the new son in law(s) out to the indoor range this weekend.

One brags of much shooting experience but it is all bluster. The other has never touched a gun so it will be a good time of education and practice.

The reason for this post is that I have back in my possession the "family" .22 revolver, the above mentioned High Standard 88.

My father bought it new and I grew up learning to shoot with it and being amazed at his proficiency.

After his passing the division of firearms left me with ole Kate (S&W 28) and a couple of long guns and my brother took the revolver.

Fast forward 15 years and he is in the middle of a divorce and had me come and pick up all his firearms. They are back with me to stay since he drives truck and lives out of it.

I will take a couple of pics and try to figure out how to post them. My question is how hard is it to find these gems in good condition?

And the stocks on it are kind of like Roper target stocks but they are one piece plastic, where did they come from? How hard would it be to obtain originals?

I'll post a couple of pics when I can.

Green Frog
02-09-2018, 01:39 PM
Although I collected High Standards for a while, I never heard of an “88.” There was a Double Nine, IIRC, and a variety of Western styled DA revolvers based on the same basic 9 shot aluminum frame that was the basis for the Sentinel series of revolvers. My first handgun was a “Sentinel Deluxe Snub” that I really liked and still have over 40 years later. All of them had a pretty good reputation for durability and accuracy.

Froggie

Green Frog
02-09-2018, 01:45 PM
PS to last: the grips may be original. If not, they were probably from FITZ or Franzite. I’ve seen original grips from Numrich and from time to time at gun shows, but be aware that there are both one piece and two piece styles. I wouldn’t be in too big a hurry to replace the ones you have if they fit OK and feel comfortable in your hand.

Froggie

johniv
02-09-2018, 04:44 PM
High standard made the sentenal for Sears called the J. C. Higgins mod. 88. I have one bought from Sears. In the mid 50s.

dddddmorgan
02-09-2018, 09:54 PM
Okay, here are the promised pictures.

The grip is plastic, one piece with the attaching screw running through the bottom.

I've shot this gun as is for over 40 years, never knew what standard grips looked like.

Does anyone know if there is anyone making wood grips for these gems?

Well of course I can't the pics to upload! Sorry I'm old enough to be technologically challenged sometimes.

Green Frog
02-09-2018, 10:40 PM
Pictures?? Do I need a certain kind of program to see them or just my Commander Cody Decoder Ring? ;)

I'm not aware of any wooden grips having been marketed for this gun... certainly none from the factory. Is the grip one piece or two? My R101 Sentinel has a flat piece extending out of the bottom of the back of the receiver which has a one piece grip wrapped around it from behind and secured by a single screw through the bottom of the butt. There's no reason a talented craftsman couldn't make you a wooden replacement though. As Billy Joel says, "all it takes is looks and a whole lot of money!" :cool:

Froggie

dddddmorgan
02-09-2018, 10:51 PM
Ya, my grip attaches the same way, through the bottom.

dddddmorgan
02-09-2018, 11:04 PM
Let's try this.213760

My picture was too big...

All fixed!

Green Frog
02-10-2018, 11:08 AM
Yep, that looks pretty familiar. I’m thinking the grip style and “Model 88” designation indicate it was marketed by Sears when you could buy guns right out of their mail order catalog. They had a similarly gussied up version of the HS Duramatic called the “Model 99” IIRC. I’ve seen quite a few of these semiautomatics over the years.

My Sentinel Snub was virtually identical when acquired except for the barrel length and a set of “bird head” (round butt) grips. I changed out the grips to square butt (still a bit smaller than your “target type”) and have enjoyed it for about 40 years or so. As mentioned previously, grips show up from time to time at gun shows or online. Any 1 piece HS grips should fit with minimal alteration. I have my serious doubts about availability of wood grips though.

Froggie

dddddmorgan
02-10-2018, 03:39 PM
My father bought the gun new in 1957 and I think he said he paid 39.99.

I see some rather high prices on the internet, obviously these have hit collector status. Mine is priceless. As is his Ithica Lightning .22 semi auto rifle that I have. I still have the hang tag for that one and it was 64.99.

I've got an inquiry to a couple of grip makers, I know the cost would be exorbitant but it's a nostalgic thing.

Green Frog
02-12-2018, 08:56 AM
Out of curiosity I went on fleaBay and did a search for High Standard grips. The plastic/Bakelite service style like I have on mine were available for about $15-30 or so. At one time I also had a white “ivory” colored set (just like the brown ones other than color) that looked kinda spiffy on my Sentinel.

Froggie

dddddmorgan
02-12-2018, 08:59 AM
Mmmmm.....I hate eBay but I might have to look for such a righteous cause!

Green Frog
02-12-2018, 05:11 PM
Try here for starters;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-High-Standard-Sentinel-one-piece-revolver-grip/302632463606?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

dddddmorgan
02-12-2018, 07:25 PM
Green, that's what I"m looking for. I've extended my "marker" for several months of my 'gun budget' if you know what I mean.

I want to find some grips like those for the wife to use when she shoots the gun.