PDA

View Full Version : 223 "Mold Find" Looking for your thoughts

AnotherNew1
02-07-2018, 10:25 PM
Been looking for a Boolit without lube rings (Seems to make sense). If i plan on PC why would i want them?
Again i guess this is the place to find some true expertise on what this might be able to accomplish or if worth the purchase.

http://arsenalmolds.com/products?product_id=109

Thanks for your thoughts.

earlmck
02-08-2018, 01:54 AM
That sure looks like it would work for PC. Since it is an Elvis Ammo design I'd guess you could go to Elvis' YouTube postings and find how the boolit worked for him.

Teemu
02-08-2018, 02:24 AM
Some others...
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=84&osCsid=5uorodmcnd7irmjeelshg0ehb1

KrakenFan69
02-08-2018, 12:33 PM
I have that Elvis mold. I am very happy with it. Still playing with powders and seating depth and I have a way too fast twist but I still get 2-3 moa accuracy with my Hi-Tek coated bullets which is perfect for volume plinking ammo. I have used it in a 3 Gun Competition too and had great luck out to 100 yards. (as far as that match went) More testing is definitely in the works but I'm quite satisfied.

Kraken Fan #69

MT Gianni
02-08-2018, 08:44 PM
When the rifling displaces lead and you have no lube grooves ask yourself where you want it to go.

AnotherNew1
02-08-2018, 10:16 PM
When the rifling displaces lead and you have no lube grooves ask yourself where you want it to go.

This kind of hits the OP right on the head. In the event we are pushing this AFAP (As Fast As Possible) are you saying the grooved boolits will perform better? Or will the velocities be within say 5% of each other before things start to go south. I do not have a 223 mold yet but trying to make a smart choice in purchasing one.

I bought a Ruger Predator 223 with a 22" barrel 1:8 twist just to shoot cast boolits with and learn.

I suppose i'm trying to limit my trial and error curve vs buying and trying 10 molds when the knowledge on this forum could help limit it to 2 or 3.

Being new it seemed to make more sense: more rifling contact? better rotation? better accuracy? If the added friction and pressure outweigh the results please let me know. If i am wrong please set me on the right track. In the event i have passed the holly grail of 223 molds somehow please let me know that also.

Thanks.

pipehand
02-08-2018, 10:55 PM

I thought about that also, but j-word bullets don't have lube grooves, and they seem to do just fine. Where does the copper go to?

Wayne Smith
02-09-2018, 08:36 AM
Barnes found that they needed grooves in their boolits for just that purpose. Cup and core bullets don't. That argues that the hardness of the alloy is the deciding factor. My guess is that you'll be fine without them. The lead is malleable enough to compress, the copper wasn't.

MT Gianni
02-09-2018, 10:33 PM
It depends on whether you believe that trailing edges deter accuracy, which I do.

BigMagShooter
02-11-2018, 10:45 AM
get a solid sided bullet, powder coat it, size to correct dia and shoot, should do just fine.

NOE has some for sale as do other vendors.

may have to experiment a bit to get what you want and more shooting is involved.. but is that a bad thing. :) Any range time is good time. :)