PDA

View Full Version : Iron mold; 3 vs. 4 cavity ?

Petrol & Powder
02-07-2018, 10:04 PM
I love RCBS molds but the one downside is that they only come in 2 cavity versions.

I like iron molds and don't mind the extra work to protect them from rust. In the Saeco line, the price difference between 3 cavity and 4 cavity molds is slight. A 3 cavity mold would produce significantly more bullets in a session than a 2 cavity mold but at almost twice the cost of a 2 cavity. It's a one time expense and an expense than would be amortized over a long mold life.
A 4 cavity mold is only slightly more expensive than a 3 and It would produce even more bullets per session but there's the weight penalty.

Any thoughts or experience concerning 3 vs. 4 cavity iron molds?

lightman
02-07-2018, 10:25 PM
I don't have any difficulty casting with 4 cavity iron molds. I have both H&G and Lyman molds. I feel like more than 4 cavities would be tiring. I can't imagine casting with an 8 or 10 cavity! RCBS does make a good casting mold!

NoZombies
02-07-2018, 11:00 PM
I like 4-6 cavity iron molds alright. I'm less of a fan of my 10 cavity molds than I was when I was younger.

Jack Stanley
02-08-2018, 01:44 PM
Perhaps it depends on how sensitive your wrists are . I know many don't like the weight of iron at all and other like me use H&G four and six cavity without problem . Maybe in another twenty years when I turn eighty I'll turn in my iron but not right now .

With the cost of bullets now the larger molds make more sense to me as long as you are comfortable using them . Three and four cavity molds are pretty easy to use for several hours .

Jack

farmerjim
02-08-2018, 02:41 PM
I find 2 cavity molds too slow. A 4 cavity is minimum' I have a bunch of 4 cavity Lyman iron molds and like them all. I really love 6 cavity Al molds. I particularly like 2 each 6 cavity Al molds at the same time.

Petrol & Powder
02-08-2018, 05:40 PM
So the 4 cavity is looking a little more attractive.

wv109323
02-08-2018, 09:38 PM
My experience is any 4 cavity is manageable weightwise. The only mold that I have that gives me problems is a 6 cavity H&G. I would always go 4 cavity over 3.

lightman
02-08-2018, 09:39 PM
So the 4 cavity is looking a little more attractive.

Its a good compromise.

Petrol & Powder
03-24-2018, 02:52 PM
So I went with the 4 cavity SAECO #382.

It arrived and appears to be a good mold. I cast a few bullets just to test it out with my alloy. Everything seems right. Bullets drop out of the mold, they're running around .358" .359" , seem to all weigh within a grain of each other.

I don't really have the time to cast right now and I have an adequate supply of loaded cartridges, so it may be a while before I really get to know this mold. So far I'm pleased with it.

Thanks to all for the input.

Jack Stanley
03-24-2018, 09:35 PM
You're welcome , keep that mold warm now ;-)

Jack

Grmps
03-24-2018, 09:47 PM
I'm glad you went with the SAECO.
The newer Lymans and a really bad track record.
I"ve acquired several of them for pennies on the dollar because none of the cavities match (if I remember right, there was almost 5 grns difference between the 4 cavities

WALLNUTT
03-24-2018, 11:23 PM
I've never met a Saeco I didn't like.

winelover
03-25-2018, 07:00 AM
I've never met a Saeco I didn't like.

I have............borrowed one from a friend. A four cavity, 200 grain, 44 RNFP. I was surprised how small the blocks were for a four cavity, so weight is minimal, IMO. Casting wise, it was a nice mould to work with. With my alloy, very close to CWW, it would only drop bullets at .430 diameter. I was hoping for larger for my Marlin carbine and or CA Bulldog with .4325 throats.
So, I promptly returned the mould. Didn't even waste my time, trying them in the Marlin. Will use them up for defensive practice in the Bulldog.

Winelover

Dragonheart
03-25-2018, 08:59 PM
I think 4 cavity is the best way to go. I personally find the old Saeco molds to be better then the new stuff just as I think my H&G molds can't be beat. I also believe Iron is King.

Forrest r
03-26-2018, 06:01 AM
I guess it depends on the bullets I plan on casting. Smaller bullets can be cast in small blocks. I have a 3-cavity 32cal wc mold that's the same size as the standard 2-cavity molds. To get the same bullet in a 4-cavity mold they would have to use 4-cavity blocks.