PDA

View Full Version : Penn bullets any comments on this Co.

gray wolf
02-06-2018, 05:38 PM
Penn bullets any comments on this Co.
Anyone ever use or have anything to say about Penn bullets.

https://www.pennbullets.com/38/38-caliber.html

jcren
02-06-2018, 06:04 PM
One of the best for quality and has unusual designs to play with.

Earlwb
02-06-2018, 06:19 PM
I do like their Thunderhead bullet. That is a pretty awesome design there.

gray wolf
02-06-2018, 07:29 PM
I can't cast anymore at 76 years old.
Was thinking of picking up a few for 357 mag.
So I could at least stay in the game a while longer.

Didn't know the cost had gone up so much, Hmm, pay more shoot less, Ugg.

NWPilgrim
02-06-2018, 07:33 PM
I have shot thousands if them, mostly .40 and .44. They are great quality, very consistent and as advertised.

Dardas and Missouri Bullets are other good sources. I shoot all three brands and like them. Depends on type of bullet I need, availability and any sales.

MikeN
02-07-2018, 05:04 AM
I have only ordered one order from Penn, but impressed with their products. Sometimes it takes a while to get them as I had to wait over a month, but they fully disclose the fact that they make "runs" and sometimes it will take a while to ship. Good company. I have also ordered several times from Rim Rock in Montana and have been impressed with them.

Tatume
02-07-2018, 09:15 AM
I buy 2300 Penn H&G #68 bullets at a time. That's how many will fit in one USPS Flat Rate box. My work does not permit me enough time to cast in volume. Penn bullets are very high quality and shoot well.

kungfustyle
02-07-2018, 10:14 AM
I place an order with them four years ago for about $120 worth of stuff. A month goes by and I sent a cancellation request because I was going to just purchase the molds for what I was doing instead of waiting for this companies back log. I didn't get a response. Over a year later I got a hit on my credit card for the order I canceled. I stopped payment on the order and requested that order be canceled again, but they still insisted that I was in the wrong and they wanted the charge to stand. Well I never received the order and they never manufactured the bullets so I was cleared by my bank. Had they just canceled the order I would give them a good review but they don't have customer service to speak of. Just wanted to let you know who your dealing with.
May want to look at http://www.gardnerscache.com/ or Missouri bullets just my 2 cents.

imashooter2
02-07-2018, 10:22 AM
I bought many years ago when I was trading dollars for time on pistol bullets. I found their lube application to be somewhat less than optimal. Went to Better Bullets instead.

jmort
02-07-2018, 10:25 AM
Missouri Bullets is hard to beat
Regular lube
Hi Tek
No lube Unsized

gray wolf
02-07-2018, 04:06 PM
Sorry to hear the negative about Penn bullets.
I was kinda leaning towards them.

saleen322
02-07-2018, 07:42 PM
When I was shooting precision matches, Penn was the best bullet of all that was tried. I never shot any commercial cast bullet that was more accurate than Penn.

AZ Pete
02-07-2018, 08:12 PM
might consider Rocky Mountain Reloading. Free shipping, fair price, and the 158 g SWC I received were a uniform .359 dia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DougGuy
02-07-2018, 08:19 PM
I think the Penn Bullets alloy AND lube is a bit on the harder than it needs to be side.

Tatume
02-07-2018, 08:20 PM
When I was shooting precision matches, Penn was the best bullet of all that was tried. I never shot any commercial cast bullet that was more accurate than Penn.

Ditto. And I never had any shipment issues either. Penn is a one-man operation. Call him, tell him what you want, and he will tell you when he is going to deliver.

starnbar
02-07-2018, 09:07 PM
I bought some 2 years ago for dual purpose no gas check for my 45/70 and 458 win mag reduced load no complaints on the bullets, lube, or performance

Tatume
02-08-2018, 07:49 AM
I think the Penn Bullets alloy AND lube is a bit on the harder than it needs to be side.

Hi Doug,

They appear hard, but they work. Generally I clean gunk out of my 1911, but usually only inspect the barrel. After recently firing 2000 rounds I cleaned the barrel too, and found only one tiny speck of lead. Accuracy was excellent the whole time.

Take care, Tom

Brad Cayton
02-08-2018, 10:08 PM
I ordered some 32 wadcutters to try before I bought a mold. That was in August of 2017 and I haven't heard anything. I just cancelled the order. I understand waiting but this is ridiculous.

Nueces
02-09-2018, 01:01 AM
My last Penn order was several years ago. Took over 6 months to get an incomplete order, which was never fully filled. I won't try them again.

JD HHI 6092
01-20-2019, 06:11 PM
I wish I would have found this before I placed an order with Penn. It’s been over a month and a half. Before I placed the order I emailed him. He said he had all the 44 cal bullets I wanted in stock and only a few of 454. He said he could cast them in a could of weeks. Never again!

Wheelguns 1961
01-20-2019, 06:17 PM
I found the best thing is to call him. I ordered once and got the wrong bullets after 2 months. He does make good bullets. He is just a bad business man.

tejano
01-20-2019, 10:34 PM
I like his 9mm 115 gr. SWC bullets. My last order ended up with a customer in another state but the owner made it right. I will order more when I run out of my current supply. The bullets are good quality.

Kenstone
01-21-2019, 01:42 AM
I found the best thing is to call him. I ordered once and got the wrong bullets after 2 months. He does make good bullets. He is just a bad business man.

^^This^^
Ordered 380 pills got 32, gruff person who answered the phone said that was impossible, OK then, not worth the drama...
:mad:

RedHawk357Mag
01-30-2019, 02:02 AM
I think Badman Bullets is pretty darn good. Don't know if he has the style, caliber, price point you are looking for. Each order has been a joy to work with. Alot of times when ordering commercial cast when I get the package I kinda feel underwhelmed. Most times they work ok but just look like he double hockey sticks. Ordered some from a highly recommend place, and when I got them it seems temperature and handling fractured all the lube out. I can definitely boil the remaining lube off and put some better quality lube on them but these were premium priced bullets from a pretty well known maker of bullets. Several orders from Badman has definitely made me happy in purchasing from him/them.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Wheelguns 1961
01-30-2019, 04:25 AM
Always been happy with badman bullets

Jtarm
02-02-2019, 12:31 AM

2nd that.

rfd
02-02-2019, 07:14 AM
i no longer bother casting handgun bullets. i've ordered greasers from penn, missouri, badman and lotsa others. never ordered less than 500, typically in the thousands at a time. no bad experiences with any manufacturer. all were fine for their business experiences and their products.

these dayze i vastly prefer the hi-tecs - no lube needed, no leading issues, and can be driven faster than greasers if need be. i only have .357mag handguns and rifles, and i use BBI for the rifle 160's, and precision and acme for the handgun 125's and 158's. all excellent manufacturers and bullets. ymmv.

az6gun
10-05-2019, 10:52 AM
They're slow to ship. I had an Issue with leading that I figured out with the help of a knowledgeable local caster. I tried reaching out to Penn but they don't answer the phone so I sent an email with all the details and found him to be nothing but argumentative, hostile and wanting to preach on a subject he knew nothing about which was fire lapping the thread choke out of a Ruger revolver. I felt as if I was trying to communicate with Nancy pelosi and finally had his emails directed to spam.

gumbo333
10-05-2019, 11:31 AM
Guess I'm lucky. A couple years ago ordered the PC 405 gr 45/70 boolits, got them right away, they are high quality and shoot great in my Henry.

JWFilips
10-06-2019, 06:15 PM
Slow To get to your order and GOD forbid you decide to cancel your order after waiting months!