PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Multi Expand Powder Charge Die system vs Hornady PTX inserts

jamesp81
02-06-2018, 04:07 PM
I ordered the Lyman Multi Expander Powder Charge Die system, and upon examining it I realized I have a problem. It won't work with a case activated powder drop. I could complain at length that the advertisements stating that it would work with any powder measure are misleading at best, but there'd be no point.

My purpose in buying the die to begin with was 1) regular expanders cause pistol cases to swage down my cast boolits while seating them and 2) I wanted to free up a station on my press on my press so that I was not using separate stations for powder charging and expanding, and 3) the Lyman set had every size expander I was ever going to need.

I either have to figure out how to jury rig some way for the case activated powder drop to work, or I need to sell this off and get the Hornady PTX inserts at $10 each. Assuming the latter, do the Hornady inserts expand in steps like the Lyman system does in order to be more cast boolit friendly?

As to the former, if anyone has worked out how to make case activated drop work with this, I'm all ears.

To head it off now, let me state up front: I am not interested in using the Lyman as an expander only and powder charging on a different station. If I do, I lose either the bullet feeder or I am forced to seat and crimp in one operation, neither of which I am going to even consider.

Ranger 7
02-06-2018, 05:11 PM
Yes. The Hornady PTX system is adjustable. It has an adjustable framework the fits over the spring and can adjust the amount of over travel.
Been using Hornady for 35 years and the new systems since it came out. Works great. Simply read the instructions and make small adjustments.!
I case all my bullets (LEE Tumble Lube) and reload: 380, 9mm, 45 ACP, 38 & 357.

jamesp81
02-06-2018, 05:55 PM
Yes. The Hornady PTX system is adjustable. It has an adjustable framework the fits over the spring and can adjust the amount of over travel.
Been using Hornady for 35 years and the new systems since it came out. Works great. Simply read the instructions and make small adjustments.!
I case all my bullets (LEE Tumble Lube) and reload: 380, 9mm, 45 ACP, 38 & 357.

I think you misunderstand a little. I have and have been using a Hornady powder measure with the case activated drop for years. I bought the Lyman charging die just because the expanders in it are friendly to cast boolits, but to my chagrin, I found out that the case activated drop won't work with the Lyman die. Thus my question, are the Hornady powder through expander inserts for the Hornady case activated powder drop friendly to cast boolits in the same way the Lyman expanders are?

Drew P
02-10-2018, 11:36 AM
I ground a shoulder onto one of my PTX inserts to give it a little bit of an M die profile on the flare for cast bullets and it works great. It wasn’t easy to cut, that part is hardened steel, but it’s not harder than tungsten carbide.

1bluehorse
02-11-2018, 01:20 AM
I use the RCBS PTX inserts, have not seen the Hornady, but I have no issues using the RCBS ones with oversize (within reason, couple thou over) cast bullets. No "swaging" of the bullets or lead "slivers". I also have Hornady Cowboy dies and the expander that comes with the set is oversize to begin with. But that won't work for you because it takes the extra station (and they're expensive). The cost is about 10 bucks for the PTX's, try one and see if it will do what you need. Buy cheap beer for a week and save up. :bigsmyl2:

Walks
02-11-2018, 01:33 AM
You are all misinterpreting LYMAN'S statement. When they say it will work with all Powder Measures, the intention is that any Powder Measure with 7/8 X 14" threads will screw into the top of it's die body. This setup was DESIGNED BEFORE there were Auto-Powder Drop systems in existence.

The design is meant to have the Powder Measure MANUALLY activated when the case is raised up into the die body.