PDA

View Full Version : Lee #1!

Papa smurf
08-29-2008, 03:09 PM
I grew up using iron molds. I will be 70 in September and been casting since I was 15. In 1985 I took a chance on Lee and was not sorry. In 2000 we had a fire and everything was lost including 23 Lee and 10 Lyman molds. I have since replaced all the Lee molds.The last one was in my mail box this morning and I just ordered it from Lee on line Monday night. Great service, great products, and at a price everyone can aflord. Now at my age I find the iron molds get too heavy when casting for long periods at the pot. Glad to see their logo at the top of the page.

Ron
08-30-2008, 06:32 AM
Early this month I took delivery of a new Lee 6 cavity mould which I ordered from their online shop. I was a bit dubious about using an aluminum mould as my other molds are steel RCBS and brass CBE molds.

I prepared the Lee mold as per directions and what I had picked up on this board., reassembled it and fired up the new 20 lb pot. After about 5 casts, I was producing grade one boolits. To say that I was pleasantly surprized whould be an understatement as I had in the back of my mind an unreasonable impression of Lee molds., nothing could be as good as steel or brass!!! How wrong I was, the Lee mold threw some of the best boolits I have cast. They had good fillout, nary a blemish and weight difference was not worth talking about.

Welcome to the board Mr. Lee I look forward to a long and fruitfull association.

EMC45
08-30-2008, 07:05 AM
Lee is all I use for molds.

Ghugly
08-31-2008, 07:02 PM
I had mixed results with Lee's molds untill I discovered the secret to success. Read, believe, and follow Lee's instructions. I scrub them with hot water, Dawn, and a tooth brush, lube them (I use Permatex Anti-seize), smoke them with wood matches untill they're black all over, dip them in the lead 'till the lead won't stick and cast perfect boolits starting with the first. The boolits just drop out.

Springfield
08-31-2008, 08:04 PM
Bull Plate Sprue lube helps a bunch, also. With 2- 6 cavity moulds and a large lead pot I can do 1200 an hour consistently. You just have to set them up properly and keep them hot.