PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) gun

jonk
08-29-2008, 02:07 PM
I picked up an Enfield No4Mk1 last weekend at a gunshow for $140. Excellant bore, matching bolt, very nice wood... a fair amount of patina rust on the metal, but all in all a slick outfit.

Gonna shoot her this weekend both with surplus and handloads. The bore gauges something like .306 across the lands at the muzzle, slugs at .313" so my 314299 should do just fine as cast.... the only question is how the surplus will do? The bore is already rather full of copper so I'll probably start with the surplus, then while I shoot some other stuff let some copper solvent soak in there and try the cast lead.

Rounding out the day will be my trapdoor 2 Krags and an M1 carbine. :-)

legend
08-29-2008, 02:29 PM
nice find,keep us posted as to how it shoots cast.i have one also;i have all boolits hit sideways.always. the largest i have is .315,and its not fat enough,oh well,i will hit uppon the right combo.......

Jack Stanley
08-29-2008, 11:12 PM
I had a Savage number four once that needed .317" slugs to work right . Fortunately , I had already had LBT make a mold for my way to fat number one and those worked .
Heres hoping that yours is easy to feed and accurate too .

Jack

jonk
09-02-2008, 09:14 AM
Well as an update- it did pretty well with surplus. I did NOT get to cast, for reasons I won't go into now. Let's just say there is an issue of some irritation and 'missing' brass.