PDA

View Full Version : Need info and direction on vintage Herter's reloading set up.

mlewis0113
02-05-2018, 12:10 AM
I just received some vintage Herter's reloading equipment from my father-in-law. I am completely green when it comes to reloading and need to know what all I'll need to get going.

I have a Super Model 3 press, Model 45 Powder Measure with only one tip and the Herter's Case trimmer on the bottom, and a Model 5 scale. I know I'll need dies and case holders, I wasn't sure if I could use any dies or if they have to be Herter's and I've read that I can use modern case holders with an adapter. Pictures of everything are below. Thanks in advance, Mike

country gent
02-05-2018, 01:18 AM
A solid bench for the press and equipment is a plus and makes things easier, As you stated a set of dies to fit the press and shell holder adapter with shell holders. A good loading manual or 2 is a big help and a way to know what your doing. You will want to make or obtain a new hopper for the powder measure also. I like to have a set of check weights handy on my bench but not really necessary.
I saw one of the herters lab balance scales at the last SSC Show. A very good looking scales and very sensitive People walking by would move the beam on it.

If your father in law is still able Ask him to mentor you once its all set up.

1browski
02-05-2018, 01:19 AM
I only have experience with the press. It should be 7/8" threads on top for regular dies with the adapter. I have never taken mine off the top so not sure if its 1 and 1/4" threads or not. I have six shell holders for mine that set in the top of the ram and have two set screws to lock it down. They make an adapter for it so it accepts regular shell holders. I ended up getting one when I had a stuck case(223) and as case ripped out of the shell holder it chipped it. I have processed and reloaded thousands and thousands of rifle and pistol ammo on it. Mine is bolted to a piece of 4x12 that I clamp to the bench. I only use it once in a while now on small batches when I dont want to remove dies off other presses. Very sturdy though.

rmcc
02-05-2018, 01:59 AM
PM me your email and I will send you a copy of the instructions for your #5 Ballistic scale. I have 2 of them on my bench. What they lack in capacity they more than make up for in sensitivity and accuracy.

rmcc

mlewis0113
02-05-2018, 09:24 AM
If your father in law is still able Ask him to mentor you once its all set up.
I know he'll be glad to help, he actually never used this set up, he got it from his wife's Uncle and didn't need it so he it to me.

As for the hopper, is there anywhere I can find a replacement or will I just have to make one?

Will any dies from any manufacturer work as long as they are 7/8-14?

Rmcc, pm sent.

Pressman
02-05-2018, 03:10 PM
PM me with your email address. I have everything you need to get going, all the instructions and lots of experience using their equipment.
Ken

sawinredneck
02-05-2018, 03:33 PM
PM me with your email address. I have everything you need to get going, all the instructions and lots of experience using their equipment.
Ken
A very generous offer sir!
This will be a very nice set to get started with, they don’t build equipment like this anymore!

country gent
02-05-2018, 03:39 PM
You will probably have to find the correct of clear tubing to fit the housing and make it yourself. A lot of the herters measures had baffles in them also. Online you can find the acrylic tubing for this. copper or brass tubing can be used but dosnt allow powder level to be seen thru it.

starmac
02-05-2018, 08:12 PM
Other giys will know better than I, but I think you can get a replacement ram itself for the rcbs type shell holders, instead of having to use the adapter.

mlewis0113
02-05-2018, 08:57 PM
Other giys will know better than I, but I think you can get a replacement ram itself for the rcbs type shell holders, instead of having to use the adapter.

That might be worth looking into, thanks.

Does anybody know about the powder measure inserts?

sawinredneck
02-05-2018, 09:04 PM
That might be worth looking into, thanks.

Does anybody know about the powder measure inserts?
Take Pressman up on his offer, he’ll have all your answers.

mlewis0113
02-05-2018, 09:25 PM
Will do.

rmcc
02-05-2018, 09:30 PM
If Pressman doesn't have it, you may as well not look!! You might talk to Ed the Herter's Man down in Kansas City. He has a lot of the parts also. I don't know of anyone that has more than Pressman.....look at his address! lol!!

ascast
02-05-2018, 09:34 PM
I have a pile of Herters stuff, including (I think) a new cutter for your trimmer.

starmac
02-06-2018, 12:12 AM
If I remember right, some of the guys were getting the clear tubing from mcmaster carr. You have to get a good measurement and I think it comes in 3 foot sticks.

mlewis0113
02-06-2018, 08:05 PM
I'll take a look at McMaster, although Pressmaster has said that the Hornady tubes will fit.