PDA

View Full Version : Spotted another one

Eddie2002
02-01-2018, 01:22 PM
Man, I need to stay out of pawn shops. Just for a whim I stopped at a pawn shop and spotted a CVA Frontier Carbine caplock in .50 caliber. It has the flat butt stock, no patch box, only one guide for the ramrod and has a single trigger. The finish is stock but factory rough and it has a nice browned barrel. All in all it would be a nice project for a quick refinish and cleanup.
They are asking $79.95 for it but I need another front stuffer like a hole in the head. I'm going to be back in the area next week, maybe I'll offer $50.00 for it and see if they give a bite.
Is it worth the asking price, doesn't seem to ever been shot?

FrontierMuzzleloading
02-01-2018, 01:25 PM
If the bore is good, get it now!

rancher1913
02-01-2018, 01:58 PM
for that price I would grab it no matter if I needed another one or not.

Eddie2002
02-01-2018, 02:19 PM
I'm thinking about going for it. It would match up nice with the brown barreled CVA Hawkins I rebuilt last year which has become my main shooter. I could refinish the Frontier to match the Hawkins and end up with a matched set of brown barreled CVA caplocks which would be real cool. I'll pack a flash light to check out the bore next week. Still planning to see if I can talk him down, the manager wasn't there today so I couldn't haggle.

mooman76
02-01-2018, 07:43 PM
Parts alone are worth more than that. I'd jump on that. I used to have one years back and let someone talk me into selling it. He left it in the back of his truck, uncleaned and covered in rust.[smilie=b:

Gtek
02-01-2018, 09:56 PM
They want that for a stripped beat up stock, life is short, most toys, want/need, it's just gun money!

Eddie2002
02-02-2018, 11:36 AM
I've paid more for a rifle that needed a lot of work before it could be shot. The Frontier is pretty much a plain Jane with very little brasswork or bling on it but it appears all there with no problems. I'll probably pick it up if it is still there next week and refinish it to match my Hawkins. The price is right and it can always be used for spare parts for my other CVA if something breaks.
My shooting buddy said I didn't need another front stuffer and then in his next breath told me he just picked up another 9mm pistol, maybe his 8th or 9th addition to his pistol collection. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black ;).

EMC45
02-02-2018, 12:37 PM
If the bore is good offer 50 and walk with it. The shop owner would probably take it.

Buzzard II
02-02-2018, 05:35 PM
A LITTLE IS GOOD, A LOT IS BETTER AND TOO MUCH IS JUST ENOUGH! There is always room for one more so you may as well just buy it.

Saxtonyoung
02-03-2018, 05:05 AM
I have fond memories of a CVA Frontier carbine, I shot my first 2 deer with one. Sounds like a good price but hey your in a pawn shop, your obligated to barter for a better one.

Rcmaveric
02-03-2018, 05:16 AM
I got my knight from the pawn shop for 60 bucks.

GoexBlackhorn
02-03-2018, 01:51 PM
Man, I need to stay out of pawn shops. Just for a whim I stopped at a pawn shop and spotted a CVA Frontier Carbine caplock in .50 caliber. It has the flat butt stock, no patch box, only one guide for the ramrod and has a single trigger. The finish is stock but factory rough and it has a nice browned barrel. All in all it would be a nice project for a quick refinish and cleanup.
They are asking $79.95 for it but I need another front stuffer like a hole in the head. I'm going to be back in the area next week, maybe I'll offer $50.00 for it and see if they give a bite.
Is it worth the asking price, doesn't seem to ever been shot?

If you ever find an old CVA or Traditions with a twist in the 60s (that's lighter than the Mountain Rifle), please PM / Email me.
I once had a CVA Plainsman 1-66 twist and sold it 15-16 years ago. Boy do I regret parting-with that ML now. I bought a full-stock Shenandoah to replace it and I will never buy any pinned stock ML ever-again. What a pain in the **** those full length, pinned stocks are.