PDA

View Full Version : I'm gonna do it.

Arisaka99
02-01-2018, 12:13 PM
Well, I've decided I'm going to take the leap and start loading buck and slugs.

I've got a Load All 2 in 20ga I bought and never used, but I'm thinking instead of getting a conversion kit for it, I will get the BPI roll crimp kit.

What all do I need to get going, and do you guys have any favorite buck/slug loads for a Rem 870 12ga?

Show me what you got!

Thanks!
Chris

RustyReel
02-01-2018, 01:32 PM
I'm going to give it a whirl as well. I have done the "poor man's slugs" before by replacing the shot in shot shells with the slug and folding the crimp back over. Didn't do so well and lost interest. Going to try that again but this time with the Lee Key drive and the roll crimper. Also ordered a bunch or RIO cases and plastic and old style wads from Graf. Going to try some black powder as well. Not going to do any sort of production run so thinking all I need is something to punch out the primers, a roll crimper and a dowel.

I went with the RIO cases for the new & BP stuff because primed case are $7/100 with no hazmat fee for primed cases. Thats not much more than primers. I'll be keeping an eye on your thread an good luck!

dverna
02-01-2018, 02:01 PM
I got the mold to make buckshot and it sits unused. Keeping it in case the SHTF. I have been purchasing S&B buckshot ammunition from Midway for $8/box of 25 delivered to my door when it goes on sale. I buy them for the coyote hunters I know as well. I don’t shoot enough buckshot to warrant the hassle of reloading it. You can use loads for bird shot when loading it.

I bought a PW 375 for loading as I prefer a crimped shell.

I will be getting into slug loads or possibly RB. No cheap source for them and casting them not as bothersome as casting buckshot. It is a low priority project as I can hunt with a rifle where I live. But another SHTF nice to have.

Moonie
02-03-2018, 05:39 PM
2 3/4" Cheddite Hull Ched209 BlueDot 30.5gr FS12 gas seal Teflon wrapper Lead grains 773 #00 3x5=15 Buckshot Pressure 9400 1060fps
2 3/4" Cheddite Hull Ched209 Hodgdon Clays 21.0gr PT1205 1oz Lee Key Slug Pressure 9500 1300fps
2 3/4" Cheddite Hull Ched209 Alliant Red Dot 21.9gr PT1205 1oz Lee Key Slug Pressure 10600 1370fps
2 3/4" Cheddite Hull Ched209 Alliant Bullseye 25.0gr PT1205 1oz Lee Key Slug Pressure 10700 1450fps

The recipe for Tri-Ball is as follows:
(1) 12 ga 3" Cheddite, Fiocchi, or Federal Gol Metal hull
(2) 28/29 grs of Alliant Blue Dot
(3) Precision Relooding Orange Wad TUPRWW123
(4) Three .600" hard cast round balls
(5) Precision Reloading buffer
(6) Thin overshot wad.
The buffer is to be vibrated around the balls. The ball tapped tight in the wad so the bottom ball is snug in the wad. Wads are dusted with Motor Mica

The sequence of loading the balls into the wad (in the hull) should be:
(1) drop the balls in and tap them.
(2) vibrate 2.2 cc of the buffer in.
(3) Hold a wood dowel on top of the balls and vibreate.
(4) add enough buffe to just cover the ball.
(5) Tap again
The key to the entire operation is to be sure there is no buffer under the bottom ball....or between the balls.
As the man says...try different choke constrictions! If you get two ball cutting out in the target, but one ball out a few incches....too tight a choke! Ideal is when the balls make a nice even triangle.