PDA

View Full Version : Puma, LSI, Rossi, #PUM52002

looseprojectile
08-28-2008, 05:48 PM
24"octagon barrel. brass receiver, .45 Colt, 92. Nice wood. New in box.
Can't find any reference to this gun anywhere on the net.
Must be old stock, discontinued, what?
Are these crap? Seems to be well done, though I'm not particularly fond of the brass.
Got it in a trade, not in to it very deep.
It does feed my SWC boolits and all others I have tried. If it had a steel frame I would be really pumped.
Anyone know the story on these?
Life is good

yondering
08-28-2008, 06:37 PM
yes, they are crap. I'll send you my address for disposal. :D

timkelley
08-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Keep it, shoot it, enjoy it, I have one in stainless and brass and it shoots real good.:D

Calamity Jake
08-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Just don't shoot hot loads in it, the brass frame will stretch over time.

corvette8n
08-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Here is the website, I didn't see the brassframe model.
http://www.legacysports.com/index.html

I have a Large loop lever saddle ring 16" LSI/PUMA in .45 colt
And I have shot .45 Colt +P ammo in mine with no ill effects.

compass will
08-29-2008, 09:05 PM
They were a model last year or so. I got one, paid $425.00 plus tax for it new a year ago. With Lee 255 cast boolits and the max listed load of Clays, I shot four lever action silhouette matches this year and I hit 39 pigs in a row! (I missed the last pig in the last match) needless to say this knocked me out the A class :). This is with the stock sights.

PS: This spring I removed the Used motor oil finish and re stained the stock. It came up pretty light but has nice enough grain. The lighter stock looks good against the brass receiver.

Edit: If it's still new it might have a problem where the cartradge sticks as it's going into the chamber, on an angle with the boolit hitting the top of the chamber If you push down on the rim it will clear. My gun smith told me to shoot at least 200 rounds before he would look at it. the Problem went away as he expected.

looseprojectile
08-31-2008, 01:42 PM
Loaded some 255 RNFP boolits with six grains of Unique, shot eight offhand close range to check function. No leading,feeds and functions great.
Looking down the bore, dirty, I can see some irregularities where the front sight and the front band for the mag tube were machined. These are not easily seen with a clean bore. The barrel also has a restriction near the chamber end about two inches long. Can feel more resistance on the patch.
In the past I would have just poured a lap and fixed it. Now I am lazier than I used to be and will try fire lapping it. I will shoot it from a bench some more before I firelap it to see if it is accurate enough for hunting as is. I don't expect it to be a target gun.
My .357 Rossi carbine has a perfect, very smooth bore and I have enjoyed shooting it without any issues. It is an older gun and I think the newer production guns are suffering in quality.
One question. Why do you think they put the five inch plastic plug in the magazine? I can now load three additional rounds after removing it.
Life is good

Scrounger
08-31-2008, 01:49 PM
That was probably a decision made during the time we had a ten round magazine restriction in this country. That was applicable to detachable magazines only, but when you're a manufacturer planning on selling several million dollars worth of product, you don't take any chances on the crazies in the court system and the shark-like lawyers always ready to file a suit.