PDA

View Full Version : Liver and Onions

Handloader109
01-31-2018, 03:10 PM
Oh MY!

My wife picked up a package of beef liver yesterday to use to make her dogs some treats. She had found a recipe and made up some a couple of weeks ago with some liver that had sat in our freezer, (lost so she said) for about 6 months and was burnt. Dogs loved them..... especially her old man who's 14 and almost no teeth left.

She decided without me nagging her to cook me a nice slice for lunch today. Been about a year since she last made it.
Bacon grease, a minute on each side, (lightly floured and salted). Then on top of the onions wilting in another pan for a couple more minutes.
Slide it all on my plate and OH MY GOODNESS! Best she's ever made. Perfectly done, but soft enough to cut with a fork.
Onions were delish.

If you don't like liver, try again. Don't cook to shoe leather and use a whole onion.
Yes, no one else in the house but the dogs will eat it,but it sure was good!

kungfustyle
01-31-2018, 04:41 PM
I'm glad that you enjoyed it. My Stepdad loves fried chicken livers. However, growing up we had to eat it once a week or at least it seemed. I can't bring my self to go there again. There were 5 sad kids and one fat and happy dog on those nights.

country gent
01-31-2018, 04:57 PM
A bar here would do chicken livers deep fried. I believe they were rolled in seasoned corn meal then panko crumbs and deep fried. To crispy outside. Ranch dressing, salsa, or barbeque sauce for dipping. They were good.

bdicki
01-31-2018, 05:06 PM
I like liver and bacon, cook the bacon then fry the liver in the bacon grease. I'm lucky because my wife likes chicken livers, I like all of it.
No onions for dogs;
Onions contain an ingredient called thiosulphate which is toxic to cats and dogs. The ingestion of onions causes a condition called hemolytic anemia, which is characterized by damage to the red blood cells. Onion toxicity can cause the red blood cells circulating through your pet's body to burst.

Handloader109
01-31-2018, 05:26 PM
I like liver and bacon, cook the bacon then fry the liver in the bacon grease. I'm lucky because my wife likes chicken livers, I like all of it.
No onions for dogs;
Onions contain an ingredient called thiosulphate which is toxic to cats and dogs. The ingestion of onions causes a condition called hemolytic anemia, which is characterized by damage to the red blood cells. Onion toxicity can cause the red blood cells circulating through your pet's body to burst.Ok, did I mention chicken livers? Nasty things they are. Beef, calf is best... yeah, dogs only want the liver.... no onions.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Hogtamer
01-31-2018, 06:08 PM
nonono ohnonono

starmac
01-31-2018, 06:14 PM
LOL, When I was growing up dad had to have liver once in a while. Mom would get it ready and put it in the pan, then leave. She didn't like the smell of cooking liver so would not even stay in the house. I don't know exactly how dad cooked it, but I thought it was good, in later years I ordered it at different eateries a few times, but some cooks can sure mess it up, so haven't even tried in years. I do like a mess of fried chicken livers now and then, can't stand gizzards though.

dpoe001
01-31-2018, 06:21 PM
There were seven of us kids when i was growing up, on nights we had liver and onions, i would eat mine look away and my plate would have more on it by the time i left the table i would be stuffed. Usally had at least 6 1/2 my little sister could not eat all of hers.Me and my wife still enjoy Liver and fried onions!!My little sister will still eat it but only once or twice a year(she won't cook it)calls my dad up to go to out to eat it.

bdicki
01-31-2018, 06:22 PM
Ok, did I mention chicken livers? Nasty things they are. Beef, calf is best... yeah, dogs only want the liver.... no onions.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I also love calf liver but am happy to get chicken livers every now and then.

iomskp
01-31-2018, 06:29 PM
I buy beef liver and slice it into strips and dehydrate them for dog treats, I have six little yappers and they give me hell in the mornings until they get their treats.

gwpercle
01-31-2018, 08:55 PM
I'm a Liver Lover , chicken , rabbit, hog , beef ....know all the restaurants that serve smothered liver & onions from Louisiana to Florida.
The wife taught me how to fix it and I can outdo her gravy now.
I even drive to Scott, LA. to get proper Boudin made with Hog Liver....Best Stop Market in Scott...regular or smoked , it rocks !

I have a dehydrator.....Liver Jerky...that might be worth a try...for me not the dogs !
Gary

Blanket
01-31-2018, 09:22 PM
I love beef liver. Cooked with onions and mushrooms ummmmmmmmmmmmm

Dave W.
01-31-2018, 09:43 PM
I like liver also, fried with onions is the best, just do not over cook it. My wife to brown it in a skillet with onions, then finish cooking it in the oven after smothering it in green chilies. Pretty good that way also.

Unrelated, but how many of us that like liver, grew up poor? Liver was a poor person food, if your family had money they could purchase better cuts of meat.

country gent
01-31-2018, 10:06 PM
Yea and back in the 16-1700 lobster was for the hired help in most east coast areas.

kens
01-31-2018, 11:05 PM
I'm good for liver once or twice a year, but not much more.
I do like to get my liver fix when field dressing a fresh warm Bambi though.
Like said above, lightly floured, lightly fried with plenty onions, then dump all that on a bed of rice !!!!
'yaaa buddy !!!!

MT Gianni
02-01-2018, 12:46 AM
Yea and back in the 16-1700 lobster was for the hired help in most east coast areas.

I remember reading that in 1800 Mass. they passed a law making it cruel and unusual punishment to feed prisoners lobster more than three times a week.

RGrosz
02-01-2018, 03:00 PM
I like chicken livers. The best way to fix them is about a 2/0 circle hook and a medium slow river like the Big Sioux or the Little Sioux and wait for the catfish fish . Then reel the in and clean up the fish. Fry over high heat rolled in corn meal and serve with fries or onion rings.
Rob

Traffer
02-01-2018, 03:07 PM
The very best meat of any kind that I have ever had was venison liver. Broiled it. 2 min on each side. WOW. Just WOW.

472x1B/A
02-01-2018, 04:01 PM
When our son was still home we would have liver eating contest. Seemed like he always won. We could always hear the Mrs. making those gaging/throw up noise's. Sometimes the boy would pick up a huge piece and cram it in, sit there and chew and smile. He liked all types as well as I did. MMMM' MMMM'

gwpercle
02-01-2018, 05:00 PM
LOL, When I was growing up dad had to have liver once in a while. Mom would get it ready and put it in the pan, then leave. She didn't like the smell of cooking liver so would not even stay in the house. I don't know exactly how dad cooked it, but I thought it was good, in later years I ordered it at different eateries a few times, but some cooks can sure mess it up, so haven't even tried in years. I do like a mess of fried chicken livers now and then, can't stand gizzards though.

Gizzards.....before you do anything with them , put them in a crock pot with a cup of water, on low 8 to 10 hours. Then fix them any way you want....They will be so tender. Makes a tasty gizzard gumbo !

Blanket
02-01-2018, 07:31 PM
love gizzards as well. Yes grew up poor but the food we ate was mainly raised by us and butchered by us. Love scrambled brains and eggs as well

MaryB
02-01-2018, 11:58 PM
Nope, can't do it... mom worked in a grocery store when I was little and the meat market guy knew we were poor and struggling so a lotof the stuff that didn't get bought was given to mom a day before expiration... meaning a a LOT of liver... like liver 3-4 days a week for 3 years... BARF I can't do it!

gwpercle
02-02-2018, 04:25 PM
We was so poor any kind of meat was looked forward to , compared to armadillo and possum ... liver was a treat . But my mom was a good cook and she made it taste good and we always had it with grits.
Gary

eric123
02-02-2018, 04:54 PM
An acquired taste I'm sure...

AllanD
02-02-2018, 06:35 PM
My mother discovered a receipe for cooking liver that does not involve bacon. you cook the liver in Olive oil
with your onions and when it's sitting in the pan with the cooked onions and adequately done you dump in
a cup of redwine vinegar
also fresh Basil was involved but I'm not sure when it's best to add it.

I also on my own came up with a way of cooking chicken livers in butter with onions, bell peppers a adding a bunch of curry powder and serving over rice that I think is kinda good.... but I've never made it any kind of receipe that can be recorded I make it up as I go along...

MaryB
02-02-2018, 10:15 PM
Best time to add fresh basil would be right before plating or it turns black...

gwpercle
02-03-2018, 06:46 PM
An acquired taste I'm sure...
Was you referring to the armadillo, the possum or the liver? I never could acquire a really raving good liking for possum. I ate it but I will eat most anything .
Gary

glockfan
02-03-2018, 07:34 PM
just don't put a pot of chopped liver and a bunch of crackers in front of me , and then hope it'll stay intact for half an hour .

fail

woodbutcher
02-03-2018, 07:57 PM
:bigsmyl2: Welllllllllllll howdy.That`s what I had for supper tonight.
Along with mashed taters,green beans and corn.Washed down with a nice cold beer.Outstanding.Have two pieces left over for sammies for supper tomorrow.Only thing better than that.....................is more.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Boaz
02-03-2018, 08:16 PM
Nope, can't do it... mom worked in a grocery store when I was little and the meat market guy knew we were poor and struggling so a lotof the stuff that didn't get bought was given to mom a day before expiration... meaning a a LOT of liver... like liver 3-4 days a week for 3 years... BARF I can't do it!

Yea , cheap food ...potatoes , bread , gravy , beans , soup , hamburger and yes organ meat , lol . But I still like all of it .

smokeywolf
02-03-2018, 10:15 PM
Mom used to cook it to a fair-the-well. Didn't have a good piece of beef liver until I got married. Yep! bacon fat, lots of onion and liver cooked to still very pink.

Even though Mom always cooked it to shoe leather, she said best liver was "fresh deer's liver".

AllanD
02-04-2018, 05:24 PM
To those who dislike liver and state that it is a filter as a reason, please recall what part of an animal a predator will often eat first!

Watch a Cheetah/Leopard or any big cat for that matter!

Blanket
02-04-2018, 06:10 PM
wash, slice, soak in milk over night, drain and pat dry, roll in flour, salt and pepper. Fry in bacon grease or butter,just browning both sides. DO NOT OVERCOOK. Start cooking the onions, mushrooms and bacon until just about done before adding liver to skillet. YUM

kens
02-05-2018, 07:07 PM
yes indeed, do not over cook the liver.

brass410
02-05-2018, 07:20 PM
liver is the ticket round here I use it for trap bait in the spring, treats for my mastiffs and you better believe some even finds its way to the table just put in a order for fresh today 600 lbs lets just say I'm pretty sure its one of the food groups by itself.

1911sw45
02-05-2018, 09:49 PM
Just picked up a lb of calf and pork liver today. The wife gave me the look.