PDA

View Full Version : How many drive belts have you replaced on your HF Dual Drum Tumbler?

Bmi48219
01-31-2018, 08:18 AM
I just used the last of the 3 spare belts supplied with my 2 year old HF tumbler. I Had a 3 1/8" x 1/8" "O" ring so I put that on, seems to work well. Just wondering what kind of mileage everyone is getting on their belts.

William Yanda
01-31-2018, 10:41 AM
I am still running on the original, but then I have only done half a dozen batches.

OS OK
01-31-2018, 11:09 AM
I swapped to a heavy duty vacuum belt for my thumbler and added a little bracket to adjust it so it wouldn't be too tight.
That may or may not be an option for you with the HF's unit. The thing to look at is if the pulley sheaves are lined up straight so that they don't constantly wear on one side of the belt making it thinner until it gives out.

The other thing to consider is the total weight of the filled drum...too much weight can add to shortening the life of the belt and the motor.

John Boy
01-31-2018, 12:13 PM
I have 2 HF Rotary tumblers - replaced the belt on one only once after several years of use
Ebay has replacements ...

Soundguy
01-31-2018, 12:34 PM
i'd have to give a +1 on a vacuum belt idea. they are tough suckers. I no longer use a roller tumbler, a vibratory one only now..

retread
01-31-2018, 12:37 PM
If the HF tumbler belts and too tight they will fail within hours. They run the longest with just enough tension to drive the drums.

mdi
01-31-2018, 01:51 PM
Zero. Ran first HF tumbler about 12 years trouble free (until I "improved" it). My second one is still going strong after 8 years of use...

CASTER OF LEAD
01-31-2018, 02:12 PM
I have yet to change a belt on my unit. My father has been using his for several years on the belt that came in it, no issues. The above mentioned, about weight of loaded drums is most likely the cause of the short belt life. However it was also said about pulley alignment. Very possible to be a contributing factor. If my belt slips during operation it is due to me overloading the drums. YMMV - CASTER

OS OK
01-31-2018, 02:20 PM
I have yet to change a belt on my unit. My father has been using his for several years on the belt that came in it, no issues. The above mentioned, about weight of loaded drums is most likely the cause of the short belt life. However it was also said about pulley alignment. Very possible to be a contributing factor. If my belt slips during operation it is due to me overloading the drums. YMMV - CASTER

Something else I though of is having that belt get wet and slipping....isn't that motor in the HF unit down below the drum...and if the drum leaks, will it drip on the belt/pulley causing it to spin instead of pull?

Just spitwadding here as I don't have/never used or seen one of the HF units outside of a picture here in forum...

CASTER OF LEAD
01-31-2018, 02:52 PM
Something else I though of is having that belt get wet and slipping....isn't that motor in the HF unit down below the drum...and if the drum leaks, will it drip on the belt/pulley causing it to spin instead of pull?

Just spitwadding here as I don't have/never used or seen one of the HF units outside of a picture here in forum...

Negative! The motor on mine is is encase on one end. Unless the water source came from elsewhere . The drums ride in an open bottom area on the unit. Good thought though. could see how that is plausible if it could happen.- CASTER

Dutchninja
01-31-2018, 02:58 PM
Zero - been several years and around 250,000+ rounds cleaned....

mac60
01-31-2018, 07:50 PM
Can't remember exactly, but I reckon it's been 10 yrs. +/- and still on the original.

NyFirefighter357
01-31-2018, 11:48 PM
Mines only 2-3 yrs old haven't had a problem and I've run it several times 3 week straight tumbling rocks for the kids.

Bzcraig
02-01-2018, 12:21 AM
4+ years on the original and it gets used weekly.

Bayou52
02-01-2018, 09:10 AM
O-rings make great replacements for factory tumbler belts...

Soundguy
02-01-2018, 11:10 AM
if you can find a kevlar reinforced belt in your size they last a long time as well, especially in drive situations.