PDA

View Full Version : 2018 lee value turret press

madmtt
01-30-2018, 11:05 PM
Anybody have one yet? A lot of people recommend the classic turret on forums and YouTube over the old value turret. Never owned either but curious. Would the new base solve any problems that the old base had? Never loaded a round on anything but single stage or lee loader.

kmw1954
01-31-2018, 03:16 AM
madmtt, I have an old Lee 3 hole Value Turret press and it works just fine for any pistol caliber I've done. The Classic Cast Turret is a bit taller allowing better access for larger rifle rounds. I haven't actually seen the new model press but in my mind it looks impressive. There have been a number of improvements and refinements over the old press. I have also noticed that the base price for the new press has also increased.

tazman
01-31-2018, 06:48 AM
The new one looks interesting. It has a spent primer catcher that is a big improvement over the hollow base of the former press.

flashhole
01-31-2018, 08:41 AM
Looks interesting to me too.

https://fsreloading.com/index.php?_route_=lee-precision-4-hole-turret-press-with-auto-index.html&search=value+turret+press

lead-1
02-01-2018, 06:04 AM
Looks pretty slick, just may have to check one out. On the plus side, it's a value press that seems to actually be value priced.

kbstenberg
02-01-2018, 09:05 AM
I mite have missed it. Will the standard 4 hole turret fit this press?
I did see that the LOAL case is short enough that anything longer than a mid-length 3006 is too long and cant be loaded. A couple of my 06's reach into the 3" area.

kmw1954
02-01-2018, 01:28 PM
As far as I understand all 4 hole turrets are the same.

They state in their advertising that small rifle will work, longer will work with manual index but should be done on the Classic Cast Turret.

It has also been suggested that the Pro1000 will also be converted to 4 holes.

wildwilly501
02-01-2018, 03:28 PM
I have the older Deluxe which I think this replaces.I got it when they first came out changed it from three hole to four holes works fine.But this new one has some features that will make it better.Was going to order one till I did the shipping estimate at fs.I'll wait till someplace else has them unless someone has a code that will help with the shipping.

jcren
02-01-2018, 03:50 PM
Titan has em for the same price. Didn't look at shipping but I think I may need 1 or 2. Mounted on the Lee dock system that little press would be a perfect prep station.

wildwilly501
02-01-2018, 06:27 PM
I have one on the way from Midway their site shows the old one but they are supposed to be the new one.Last day for my Birthday pricing and ordered some other stuff so not too bad.As much as Lee changed them I don't know why they didn't go with a new model # or added a letter or something

gandydancer
02-01-2018, 07:03 PM
https://fsreloading.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=90932 I like the look of the new Lee index press<

kmw1954
02-01-2018, 07:19 PM
Currently in the middle of making up new loads for our new 45acp. The old 3 hole Lee Auto advance press is still working just fine. But I do like what I see with the new press.

sparkyv
02-01-2018, 08:24 PM
MUCH improved primer disposal, MUCH improved wooden roller handle...what's not to like? I'd get one if I didn't already have the older value turret, with which I am well pleased.

madmtt
02-01-2018, 09:35 PM
Thanks guys for some information from people who have owned Lee turret presses. The new steel base looked very interesting. Maybe time to upgrade the only press I have owned which is a lee challenger from the early 2000’s.

kmw1954
02-01-2018, 09:57 PM
Thanks guys for some information from people who have owned Lee turret presses. The new steel base looked very interesting. Maybe time to upgrade the only press I have owned which is a lee challenger from the early 2000’s.

Don't need to retire one to get another. I have 3. One is not mounted on the bench but I have it in case I need it. That one is an old RCBS JR3 which I will keep around.

Upgrade if for nothing other than pistols. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

NWPilgrim
02-02-2018, 05:03 AM
Lee's son is trying out other materials than just nylon and aluminum. The elder Lee, Richard, may have been technically correct in choice of materials but his don seems to understand some folks are more comfortable with cast iron or steel, even if the stressed involved do not require it.

I used a single stage Challenger for 15 years just fine. Got a Classic Turret and really enjoy it. One feature I like is that it can use the Safety Prime tray/arm. I like that so much I gave up hand priming. I wonder if this Value Turret will accept the Safety Prime?

jcren
02-02-2018, 09:37 AM
The write up on tintan says the new press will accept the safety prime (sold seperatly or course )

flashhole
02-03-2018, 10:50 AM
I bought two Lee Classic Turret presses a few years ago for about the same price of the new Value Turret press so no real need for another in-kind press but if I were loading several different handgun cartridges I might consider using it as a dedicated setup and have several.

I wonder if the roller handle will fit on the Classic Turret?

ichthyo
02-03-2018, 02:50 PM
I have the new one. It has been great. I really like the primer catching tube.213311

wildwilly501
02-06-2018, 07:07 PM
Got mine today.For the way I reload its not an improvement yes the press is better built than the old Deluxe and handles spent primers better.But I don't deprime or prime on any of my presses.Haven't for twenty plus years even before I started wet tumbling.I only load handgun ammo on my turret press.The opening and amount the ram moves is increased by about 1/2 inch this will be an improvement for those that load rifle shells on it.But the handle travel is a lot more than the old press same at the top but goes very low.Better press for longer cases but not any improvement for handgun at least for me.The reason I don't prime on the press is I have a RCBS bench mount APS and I got a lot of primers at a really good price.

RogerDat
02-06-2018, 07:36 PM
I have a turret disk or two I use for "utility" dies so I can do a quick change to that from loading. Depriming, sizing military brass before trimming, that sort thing. I guess I could see this new press in that role but... for the extra $26 I would buy the classic cast because it is more versatile and the whole point of turret disks is to do quick changes. Making a second press sort of less necessary, but in one way more attractive. IF one can just drop the turret from the Classic into the Value press so one can take even more advantage of the quick change for less cost that might be nice.

Me I covet a Classic Single Stage to replace my older CH "C" press I use for trimming and swaging pockets and push through sizing. The CH is probably a better choice but... I covet, me wants the big red one.

Which reminds me, did it strike anyone else as odd how the press wasn't red? Thought the monitor was broken or I had color blind for a second.

flashhole
02-06-2018, 07:42 PM
I thought I went color blind too. It sort of loses identity not being red. They figured out it costs less to do a chemfilm-like coating than it does to powder coat it.

wildwilly501
02-06-2018, 08:07 PM
The turrets fit both presses.For handgun calibers I don't shoot a lot I use the Lee Turret I have nine turrets set up with their own powder measures and keep a shellholder with them.There may be presses that are as fast to change cartridge size. But for the ease and cost the Lee is hard to beat.I only load handgun on it so I don't know how the classic would be any better.I was down in the basement messing with it and starting to like it more. My mind might be changing on some of the things I posted earlier

ichthyo
02-10-2018, 12:01 PM
Here's my Lee Value
setup so far. 213781

flashhole
02-10-2018, 12:13 PM
Nice, what are you loading? The tray is partially blocking the view of the press. What is your opinion of the quality/value?

ichthyo
02-10-2018, 12:19 PM
That is set up for 32-20 pistol loads. I think it is great. I never cared for cast aluminum or cast iron in the old presses. The handle stroke is long, but so are my arms..it is fine. The catch tube is a nice upgrade from the old model. I am very pleased.

Livin_cincy
02-10-2018, 02:22 PM
The handle stroke is long, but so are my arms..it is fine.

I have the Larger LEE CCT and I adjust the handle length to be shorter for handgun cartridges. The leverage is really great for sizing rifle cartridges but smooth wall handgun brass is pretty easy to work with.

LittleLebowski
02-10-2018, 04:21 PM
How do these turret presses do with precision rifle ammo loading?

Livin_cincy
02-10-2018, 04:58 PM
How do these turret presses do with precision rifle ammo loading?

LEE has never marketed them as precision reloading machines. If you watch the press the turret moves to align the die with the cartridge case as it goes into the die. This is what the MEC Marksman & Forester presses do. This is in conflict with the RCBS Rockchucker & Redding Big Boss press theory.

You would want to verify how tall of a cartridge will work in the new press. You might need the Classic Cast Turret's additional height.

jetinteriorguy
02-11-2018, 01:59 PM
I load both .223 and 7.62x39 on my value turret and get pretty good results. I'm not talking 1000 yd stuff, but out to 300 yds my AR15 is just under MOA, and my AR47 is consistently at 1.75 MOA.