PDA

View Full Version : "The Long Shooters"

Bent Ramrod
01-30-2018, 04:51 PM
Had a tough time finding this one, and have never seen another. Elmer Keith referenced this gun club in his chapter in Sixguns covering long range handgun shooting.

The Louisville Rifle and Revolver Club ran these shoots. The competitors used the standard one-hand position and regularly managed to hit turkey silhouettes at 300 yards by the fourth or fifth shot in the cylinders.

Their rangemaster was a tough old bird who carried a cane, not so much to help him walk as to sound out the competitors. The cane would tap over the bodies of the shooters and would unerringly lift the bottle of "Red-Eye" out of the back pocket or flick the morphine syringe (!) out of the vest pocket, and these performance-enhanced contestants would be banned from the line.

Krag1902
02-01-2018, 09:38 AM
I had this booklet at one time. Actually, it is a compilation of stuff Brent Altsheler wrote for Outdoor life magazine in 1912. I wrote an article about the subject that was published in the 1992 ( I think) Gun Digest. I went out and tried to duplicate what the Long Shooters did, and I'm here to tell you that it is possible.

HawkEyeEarl
02-01-2018, 08:18 PM
That was in Oldham County right north of Louisville?
Seems I read a story in a gun digest about it some years back.

marlin39a
04-15-2018, 12:20 PM
There's a 1st edition up on that auction site. $429.95 and he wants another 4 bucks to ship it!

mac60
04-23-2018, 06:40 PM
I had this booklet at one time. Actually, it is a compilation of stuff Brent Altsheler wrote for Outdoor life magazine in 1912. I wrote an article about the subject that was published in the 1992 ( I think) Gun Digest. I went out and tried to duplicate what the Long Shooters did, and I'm here to tell you that it is possible.

I do remember reading that. Wasn't it titled "The long shooters of pee wee valley"? Enjoyed it immensely. Remember another one you wrote in which a Krag rifle played a leading role - good stuff too!

Krag1902
04-23-2018, 09:16 PM
Yes, the Long Shooters of Pee Wee Valley. The Krag piece could have been one of several. I think I have been in 18 Gun Digests together with many other places. May have one in there next go-around. Nice of you to remember!

mac60
04-25-2018, 06:26 PM
Yes, the Long Shooters of Pee Wee Valley. The Krag piece could have been one of several. I think I have been in 18 Gun Digests together with many other places. May have one in there next go-around. Nice of you to remember!

Yes Sir. I lost all my Gun Digest books in a hurricane, but I recall those two. Have read much of your work and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's nice to have you on the forum. I'll be on the lookout for more of your work in the next GD.

Krag1902
04-25-2018, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the nice compliment!

Alferd Packer
12-03-2019, 11:11 AM
Great stuff!

relics6165
08-05-2020, 09:18 PM
I have a copy of that, I always thought it was the only one...............

curiousgeorge
08-14-2020, 02:33 PM
Being from Kentucky those stories caught my eye. We used to shoot 5 gallon bucket sized rocks at about 300 yds across the holler (gotta be from the south to use the word holler) with 38 specials. The trick was finding an aiming point several feet higher up the hillside.

farmbif
09-16-2020, 03:36 PM
sounds like a real good read.
oh how I wish I would have had a mentor or instructor to teach me such handgun skills when I was young, these days my old eyes can't do long range handgun shooting without a scope

cuzinbruce
09-25-2020, 01:06 PM
I read about that book somewhere and went looking on the internet. I found one for mega-bucks on eBay and one for cheap somewhere else. I ordered the cheap one and it was a scam. I used a credit card, within half an hour, I had two emails from the bank asking about fraudulent transactions. They had my info and within minutes there were 3 charges against the credit card from China! The bank had to put a stop on the card and issue me a new one with different number. They put the charges in disputed status, months later they wiped them out. I didn't lose anything, but the bank may have.
I went back and checked the site out later, and they had swiped the picture and description from eBay. Looking at other stuff on that site, it was all swiped from eBay, and at super low prices. I called eBay and they could care less. No interest in doing anything about it. And the site looked really legit. But wasn't!

relics6165
01-19-2021, 10:05 PM
There's a copy of this on eVilbay right now. 250 bucks and it can be yours...................