PDA

View Full Version : Uniflow Powder Measure Cap

dddddmorgan
01-29-2018, 10:03 PM
I'm in need of a cap for an older RCBS Uniflow powder measure.

I can get by just fine with plastic wrap and a rubber band but I thought if anyone had one laying around I would happily give it a new home.

metricmonkeywrench
01-29-2018, 10:16 PM
Just went through this with a used measure. If you contact RCBS they will send you a "Stockap" C-2-3/8 plastic cap, they seem to no longer provide the green ones.

For my other measure they replaced the clear hopper with a retrofit green hopper and the "new" cap.

dddddmorgan
01-29-2018, 10:26 PM
Metric, thanks for the info.

I will give them a ring later this week.

retread
01-29-2018, 10:29 PM
Lost mine and turned a new one out of Black Walnut. Heavier and stays in place better. Prettier too!

dannyd
01-29-2018, 11:08 PM
Call RCBS they will send you one

country gent
01-29-2018, 11:53 PM
You can Form a mould out of clay and pour one from epoxy. It easier to do with the actual cap but can be done with the hopper for getting the sizes from. Last one I did for a friend I made the insert end 3/4" long to help it stay in the hopper.

For this you want modeling clay not playdough. I prefer a longer cure epoxy of at least 1 hour. It gives a longer work time and more time for air to work out.

Beagle333
01-29-2018, 11:57 PM
I wrote to RCBS because I just bought a Uniflow and the hopper was cracked and it only had the small funnel and not the 30-45 cal larger one, and asked where I could find these parts. They wrote back that the parts had been shipped, no charge to my address. They arrived last Saturday. I have nothing but praise for RCBS customer service. That is twice that I have written them about a product that I had bought used and they made it as new again.

454PB
01-30-2018, 12:10 AM
Apparently I'm weird, I own several powder measures, and I never use the cap. I fill it, use it, then empty the remains back into the powder container.

retread
01-30-2018, 12:56 AM
Apparently I'm weird, I own several powder measures, and I never use the cap. I fill it, use it, then empty the remains back into the powder container.

I do the same but I put mine on when not in use. Might be weird but I like to keep foreign thinks from getting in there. Kinda like putting a dust cover on your 550.

AR15-SBR
01-30-2018, 03:09 AM
I replaced a couple of mine with Butler Creek flip open scope caps. They work great and I never loose them.

Bayou52
01-30-2018, 06:43 AM
RCBS sent me a new hopper and black cap for my vintage 1979 Uniflow - at no charge. Very good service, as usual...

dddddmorgan
01-30-2018, 08:58 AM
I'm glad to hear that RCBS still has great customer service.

I would just turn one out of wood but those tools are still in storage.

I'll give them a ring later and see.

Now to find a scale....

GhostHawk
01-30-2018, 09:03 AM
I use a coke can with the top cut off. Light weight, easy to lift to check levels. Keeps powder dry away from humidity, sparks, etc.

mew
01-30-2018, 11:34 AM
Fairly new to the board, but I have been reloading for 40+ years. Started out using guidance from a couple old salts that pointed me toward RCBS. Their customer service is awesome. I have all but rebuilt multiple pieces of RCBS gear with nothing but a phone call or email. Simple stuff. As MMW stated, they'll ship you a new hopper and cap. While your at it, get a new bow washer. Nice thing to have a spare of.

toot
01-30-2018, 04:34 PM
i use the tops that come on my prescription pill bottles, work fine. if you don't take pills, you will when you get 70+++, ask a neighbor or your parents. i buy then in gun shops with them missing the tops and they will give you a discount on the powder measure, go home and put a pill bottle top on it and VIOLA!! a top.