PDA

View Full Version : Can Catholics eat bacon ?

Boaz
01-29-2018, 09:41 PM
Are Catholics allowed by their beliefs to eat bacon ?

9.3X62AL
01-29-2018, 09:53 PM
AFAIK, there are no restrictions against bacon consumption per se.

brewer12345
01-29-2018, 09:53 PM
Yes, although not on Fridays during Lent when all "meat" is forbidden. The definition of meat is as odd as a congressional district map. The Belgians or Dutch convinced a pope to rule that muskrat and beaver did not count as meat since they came from the water like fish, for example.

dbosman
01-29-2018, 09:54 PM
Based on the country neighborhood kids families, when I was a kid, yes. Especially the farms that raised hogs for slaughter.

Thundarstick
01-29-2018, 09:58 PM
In the chapel, curious?

GhostHawk
01-29-2018, 10:05 PM
I believe all the old Jewish "Kosher" laws went out with the rise of Christianity.

Many others in the area have similar rules, won't eat pork.

I have seen several Catholic Priests chow down bacon and pancakes like there is no tomorrow.

In history, in the area concerned, there were no domesticated pigs, the boars and sows that did live there lived in the foulest swamps. They were considered unclean, and indeed you should even today cook your pork well enough to kill the parasites they can still carry.

Parasites that can migrate to humans and ruin your life eating uncooked or not thoroughly enough cooked pork.

Not as likely true from a reputable farm. But a feral or wild pig can still have Trichinosis.

With the resurrection of the son all the rules changed. Even the day of worship.

But I think it is important to remember, Jesus himself was raised with the Sabbath. He would have worshiped after sundown friday eve. So if you are really looking for some extra special attention. Try lighting 2 candles after the sun sets friday evening. And invite him into your house. You might be surprised.

NWPilgrim
01-29-2018, 10:30 PM
Of course! Have you ever been to Spain, especially Castille y Leon or Toledo, etc.? Every thing is "jamon" (ham). I think it was partly to spit in the eye of the pushed out muslims in the 15th century.

Curious why the question is asked. Do you know a Catholic who does not like bacon and thought it was their religious restriction? Before the Protestants started out in the 16th century there was a lot of bacon eating going on in Europe by Christians (Catholics) for 1,500 years.

sparkyv
01-29-2018, 10:42 PM
In Acts 10, God overturned the old clean/unclean distinctions and dietary laws in general. Yes, we Catholics LOVE bacon!

Peter went up on the housetop about the sixth hour to pray. 10And he became hungry and wanted something to eat, but while they were preparing it, he fell into a trance 11and saw the heavens opened and something like a great sheet descending, being let down by its four corners upon the earth. 12†In it were all kinds of animals and reptiles and birds of the air. 13†And there came a voice to him: “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” 14But Peter said, “By no means, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean.” 15And the voice came to him again a second time, “What God has made clean, do not call common.”

yeahbub
01-29-2018, 10:50 PM
Oh yeah, Catholics have no restrictions on bacon specifically. In fact, the biblical passage in 1 Corinthians 10:23-30 applies here as to what Catholics can eat. Basically, anything but that which is offered to idols. Brewer12345 is correct about Lent during which strict abstention is required on Fridays with fasting also performed during the rest of the week, though meat is permitted, one full meal and two smaller "half meals" per day. Can't be having the laborer lose his job for lack of strength or compromise the health of the ill and elderly. Meatless Fridays came about during a period of history when meat was expensive and usually reserved for special occasions. Meatless Fridays are a penitential act acknowledging the crucifixion of Christ on Good Friday. A penitential act is required of Catholics, but the option is there to do something else if circumstances are such that abstaining is contra-indicated. As in, if a Catholic is invited to a great reception on Friday at considerable effort and expense, the thing to do is to join the guests in their celebration of the wedding or whatever, and do a separate penitential act on one's own, such as prayer and meditation on Scripture beyond what one normally does. Mostly, the simplest thing is to observe meatless Fridays and contemplate the price paid by the One from Whom all good things come.

JimB..
01-30-2018, 02:07 AM
Long ago Lent involved 40 days of fasting. This meant no food before sundown and no meat for the entire fasting period. Things have obviously changed over the centuries.

Bacon is good, IMHO.

Tom W.
01-30-2018, 02:19 AM
Yup. I was raised Catholic, but as Dad was a Marine we had no real restrictions on meat on Fridays. Mom tried to get fish for Friday, but if not, anything was good.

It did surprise me to see Andrew Zimmern eating pork on his TV show. I thought pork was verboten for Jewish people.

It just goes to show you that God will take you when He's ready, not necessarily when you do something that's not kosher........

RPRNY
01-30-2018, 02:39 AM
Interestingly, there is case to be made that, at one time in the Church's history, it was de rigeur, at least in His Catholic Majesty's Most Holy Spanish Empire.

Following the reconquista, in which Spain and Portugal were liberated from the Moorish occupation, there were substantial populations of Muslims and Jews, who were welcome under Moorish rule, who made the appearance of having converted to Christianity, the alternative being death or flight, of course. The Inquisition was, in part, a political effort at what today might be called ethnic cleansing. It was to ferret out the non-Catholics and 'remove ' them, generally by torture and execution but, from time to time by 'conversion ' , from the Spanish Empire.

Neither Muslims nor Jews having the privilege of eating Senõr Hawg, the serving of pork (and liquor vis-a-vis the Mohammedans) was a way to do said ferreting. The prevalence of pork dishes in Iberian cuisine may have to do with this fact. If, for example, the rather dusky hook-nosed fellow next door whose land you coveted didn't want to make a deal? Well invite him over for some piggy-wiggy and Rioja. If he doesn't dig in, pitch him to Torquemada and split his land with the Church.

While those days may have been rather unpleasant in retrospect, they were far better than the more recent ills of the Parrish priest trying to play hide the sausage with the altar boys...

Greg S
01-30-2018, 04:58 AM
If so, that would donaway with alot of cured italian meats such as panchetta and prosciutto off the top of my head.

UKShootist
01-30-2018, 05:57 AM
Bacon is, IMHO, proof positive that at least two major religions are wrong. No God worthy of the name would create a world that has something so utterly, divinely, delicious, and then forbid us to eat it. QED.

Hickory
01-30-2018, 07:26 AM
I have learned more about the Catholic Church here then I ever wanted or needed to know.

6bg6ga
01-30-2018, 07:42 AM
Jews don't eat pork. Catholics can eat any meat unless its lent.

Thundarstick
01-30-2018, 07:47 AM
Why is this in the" chapel" in the first place? Why not the PIT or theological discussions?

That said, I have a boss that's a fine Christian man that won't touch pork on religious grounds, and he's certainly not Catholic. Personally, I think it's a rightly dividing issue, and you can eat what ever you want by God.

How's this? I have a Granddaughter that just about won't eat any kind of meat unless is highly processed. The subject of bacon came up and she went on and on about how much she liked bacon. I exclaimed, "I thought you don't like meat?", she said bacon isn't really meat! Figure that one out?

rosewood
01-30-2018, 07:48 AM
Yes, although not on Fridays during Lent when all "meat" is forbidden. The definition of meat is as odd as a congressional district map. The Belgians or Dutch convinced a pope to rule that muskrat and beaver did not count as meat since they came from the water like fish, for example.

It is my understanding that the translation of "meat" really should have been terrestrial animals or something like that. That is why fish is ok, not terrestrial.

Rosewood

6bg6ga
01-30-2018, 07:50 AM
This should go to the pit before my responses end up magically erased again. I really wonder why this thread was started in the first place. The OP should have simply Googled it or gone to WWW.catholic.com for their answer.

koehn,jim
01-30-2018, 08:31 AM
Many of you should look up the newer rules for fast during lent, you will be surprised that it has become very easy to follow. It is no where as hard as it used to be, we also can eat all the bacon we want, personally I prefer corned beef.

Boaz
01-30-2018, 08:37 AM
Why is this in the" chapel" in the first place? Why not the PIT or theological discussions?

That said, I have a boss that's a fine Christian man that won't touch pork on religious grounds, and he's certainly not Catholic. Personally, I think it's a rightly dividing issue, and you can eat what ever you want by God.

How's this? I have a Granddaughter that just about won't eat any kind of meat unless is highly processed. The subject of bacon came up and she went on and on about how much she liked bacon. I exclaimed, "I thought you don't like meat?", she said bacon isn't really meat! Figure that one out?

Why is it 'dividing' ? We as Christians cannot discuss different traditions and practices openly though we attend different churches ? Could you explain how it is 'dividing' ?

RogerDat
01-30-2018, 08:37 AM
Detroit was one of the diocese that wanted a finding that muskrat was not meat. Fish was expensive, muskrat was plentiful in the marshes along the river and trapped commercially. Making muskrat a cheaper form of non-meat than fish for lent. Which was greatly appreciated by the working class Catholic immigrants in Detroit and Michigan. Being a French town originally it had a Catholic base which helped draw in the Irish, and later Polish immigration that further cemented its large Catholic population.

Some really interesting and historical Catholic churches in Detroit and the surrounding area.

farmerjim
01-30-2018, 08:40 AM

In Louisiana Alligator is not meat.

Boaz
01-30-2018, 09:17 AM
LOL , the topic of this thread was meant to be humorous , I am aware that Catholics love bacon as much as we Baptists do . Our advantage is we can have it 365 days a year ! However I did learn something ...didn't know beaver and muskrat were on the menu with fish during times of abstinence , that's interesting !

Boaz
01-30-2018, 09:22 AM
As a child I was glad there were so many Catholic kids in my grade school . There were several grade schools in town but mine and one other were the only schools that got fish on Friday ....Catholics were beneficial !

Thundarstick
01-30-2018, 09:36 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?313741-Chapel-is-a-place-for-all-to-bring-their-needs

I didn't say it was dividing, just not fit for the chapel, IMHO.

Boaz
01-30-2018, 09:56 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?313741-Chapel-is-a-place-for-all-to-bring-their-needs

I didn't say it was dividing, just not fit for the chapel, IMHO.

I'm honestly not understanding why it's ..not fit ? I can't relate this thread to theology , it's simply sharing and fellowship to me .

Yesterday two good friends of mine drove over 500 miles round trip just to take me to lunch . One is a Methodist and one is a Southern Baptist and I'm an Independent Baptist . They go to an interdenominational pray study together in their home town .
The Southern Baptist friend gave prayer at the restaurant before we ate . They had liver and onions and I had the fried cod . Great guys , had a great time...they made my day !

anothernewb
01-30-2018, 10:03 AM
As a catholic, yes Bacon is regularly on the menu.

I can further say, that as a function of the crusades - bacon likely played an important part of that particular history. Both as a food staple - and for other intimidation purposes.

trapper9260
01-30-2018, 10:19 AM
Years ago when I was in church at the time and it was during lent and the priest said that for how high price fish is out here and too many dose not have the money to buy it. You can eat meat. Also been eating bacon and other foods.So do what need to be done for how things are for you.The animals and wildlife was not put on here for just there looks, but for there use one way or the other.

Thundarstick
01-30-2018, 11:07 AM
I'm honestly not understanding why it's ..not fit ? I can't relate this thread to theology , it's simply sharing and fellowship to me .

I guess my understanding of what the chapel is here for is a misunderstanding then!

How about starting these threads in the chapel!

Can a Baptist preacher be divorced?
Can a Methodist go to a fish fry on Monday at the local bar?
Does your preacher/ priest have to wear a certain outfit?
It's it ok to wear your work cloths to church?
It's it a sin to let or services out early to beat the Baptist to the buffet?
If you wore a kilt to services what would happen?

And on and on and on. My final post here.

Ickisrulz
01-30-2018, 11:15 AM

I guess my understanding of what the chapel is here for is a misunderstanding then!

The rules are fluid in this section and change depending on who makes the post.

As pointed out in another post: "Please pray for me" is not a theological discussion. "Can a Christian engage in a certain practice?" will involve a theological discussion.

Boaz
01-30-2018, 12:17 PM

Those are interesting questions . I can answer a couple I believe .

Baptist preachers are selected by an appointed pulpit committee . They will preach a determined amount of services and the congregation will vote as a body to accept them or not .

If the preacher has been divorced it is harder to be instated unless he had tried hard to hold that marriage together and the break up is attributed to the wife . In which case he 'may' be eligible but can vary by different congregations .

I believe a Methodist can attend a fish fry in a bar but would appreciate a correction if I'm wrong . As a Baptist I eat or attend many activities in places alcohol is available but that's not why I'm there . We live in a fallen world with many things happening around us we might not accept . Our Lord dealt with the same situation when he was with us .

It would depend on your church . Normally in a Baptist church there is no certain 'outfit' , usually coat and tie or just casual wear . But other churches have different traditions ...collars , robes and such .

In my church you certainly may if you wish . I don't believe many churches would turn away anyone for wearing work clothes .

Yes ! Because us Baptists should have at least an equal shot at the buffet ! (just personal opinion )

There would be unbelievable laughter and many questions plus I would never live it down .

Scorpion8
01-30-2018, 12:30 PM

I better hope so, otherwise I'm in big, big doo-doo.

jmort
01-30-2018, 02:11 PM
+ 1,000
no dietary restrictions
Old Covenent
New Covenant = Freedom from the law
Since you are the OP. I will not say this is trolling

Boaz
01-30-2018, 02:34 PM
Thank you jmort , I don't troll . Haven't heard a Catholic complain yet ..it's just friendly talk . It's not theology ..I haven't quoted scripture or demeaned anyone . Atheists will try to make hay out of it one way or another and some Christians may be upset to discuss another's church for some personal reason but it's just friendly conversation . I enjoy discovering the commonalities in our shared faith in the one true living GOD .

RPRNY
01-30-2018, 02:37 PM
No religious leaders except perhaps some backwoods tent-preachers now deny that Islam is a valid religion. As, indeed, Islam does for Christianity, holding it to be the mistaken worship of the second-last and second-greatest of the prophets. It is a better deal than you want to give them.

I always find it interesting when anti-Christian leftists defend Islam. It would seem impossible to reconcile the current fads of "liberalism" with a religion that continues to extoll, and execute in wide-spread practice, the oppression of women, the mutilation of teenage girls, the execution of homosexuals, and the murder of apostates, let alone the commission of terror against "'infidels" and those within Islam itself whose understanding of the tawheed is insufficiently rigorous, for example. Is it the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" thing? As an ideology at least as much opposed to the Hellenistic Judeo-Christian values of western civilization as your own, does that make its fundamental contradictions with basic human rights, violent opposition to feminism, and its pervasive homophobia somehow ok? The mental contortions required of the Left are exhausting. I can't stand Bill Mayer, but at least for a far left liberal, he recognizes, and voices, the incompatibility of Islam with his own ideology. A rare example of logic on the left...In any event, do tell.

jmort
01-30-2018, 02:40 PM
"I enjoy discovering the commonalities in our shared faith in the one true living GOD ."

Me too, and you know that

jmort
01-30-2018, 02:43 PM
"No religious leaders except perhaps some backwoods tent-preachers now deny that Islam is a valid religion."

Not true
you wrong
islam is scum, not a religion
the world would be a far better place if there were no muslims
this belongs in the pit, not due to the OP
But due to the participants

Boaz
01-30-2018, 02:47 PM
"I enjoy discovering the commonalities in our shared faith in the one true living GOD ."

Me too, and you know that

I do know and I thank you .

500Linebaughbuck
01-30-2018, 02:54 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....................bacon......... .......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

:holysheep yes we can

Boaz
01-30-2018, 02:57 PM
To the Catholics !

Just as a curious question would the Catholic church accept my baptism performed in a Baptist church ?

Walkingwolf
01-30-2018, 02:59 PM
People can eat whatever they want to eat, no matter their religion, unless it is payote, or other form of illegal substance consumed by eating.

opos
01-30-2018, 03:00 PM
Jews don't eat pork. Catholics can eat any meat unless its lent.

Who did they lend it to and when will they get it back?

Boaz
01-30-2018, 03:10 PM
I note your opinion and value it as usual, although not more. But did you notice, at all, that I expressed much more moderate views than were advanced in friendly discussion in post 12. The Spanish Inquisition, although deeply coercive and oppressive, was a bureaucracy with rules, aiming not only at deterrence but at the salvation of those it coerced. Killings were far outnumbered by recantations. I also made the point that child abuse, which I treated less jocularly than I saw it treated, was less frequent in Catholic children's homes than many imagine, and far less frequent by parish clergy.

As for the subsequent sneering at this board's untermenschen of the moment, I was raised a Presbyterian, but don't set much store by the notion some held, that expecting people to pray kneeling is as degrading as some say of Muslim prostration. In fact I don't see any Christians setting much store by dietary rules either, or they wouldn't disagree so much, within the same brand of Christianity even, about alligators and muskrats, and yet not consider it a matter of heresy.

No religious leaders except perhaps some backwoods tent-preachers now deny that Islam is a valid religion. As, indeed, Islam does for Christianity, holding it to be the mistaken worship of the second-last and second-greatest of the prophets. It is a better deal than you want to give them.

Sorry I can't personally give you relief in your present condition but as in the past in the old pit I would be more than happy to give you the offer of God's gift of salvation and eternal life through him ?

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-30-2018, 03:15 PM
To the Catholics !

Just as a curious question would the Catholic church accept my baptism performed in a Baptist church ?
That is a good question, I would suspect they would.
In my experience a Lutheran church would. But the funny/interesting thing with your comment, Boaz...is that a Baptist church that I joined would not accept my baptism that happened in a Lutheran church. The Baptist Pastor said it was technically a baby dedication and Baptism (to Baptists) can't happen before the age of accountability. But IMHO, who is to say that Baptism by water and Baptism by the spirit can't happen at different times? even years apart? As I look at it, I've been Baptized three different times...two for show (with water) and one when I personally accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior.

I think a better question is, Can a person be Baptized too many times?

Boaz
01-30-2018, 03:38 PM
That is a good question, I would suspect they would.
In my experience a Lutheran church would. But the funny/interesting thing with your comment, Boaz...is that a Baptist church that I joined would not accept my baptism that happened in a Lutheran church. The Baptist Pastor said it was technically a baby dedication and Baptism (to Baptists) can't happen before the age of accountability. But IMHO, who is to say that Baptism by water and Baptism by the spirit can't happen at different times? even years apart? As I look at it, I've been Baptized three different times...two for show (with water) and one when I personally accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior.

I think a better question is, Can a person be Baptized too many times?

LOL ! That's a good question . All Baptisms accepted by Baptist churches must be total emersion preceded by a public confession of faith . Many other churches sprinkle or pour on babies and it is not accepted as baptism because you must be old enough to know what you are doing to which is committing your life to GOD . Accountability , a candidate for baptism is questioned and made fully aware of the commitment they are making . In the case of children extra care is taken to make sure the child understands and mature enough to make such a decision .
I was baptized when I was 7 , under ordinary circumstances that's pretty early . In our church a few years ago a 4 year old and her mother came down , the mother said this 4 year old wanted to commit . You could tell most folks were upset ....just too young ! The parents were counseled and nothing else happened .

2ndAmendmentNut
01-30-2018, 03:45 PM
To the Catholics !

Yes, any baptism so long as water was used and “in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit/Ghost” was said that is considered a valid baptism in the eyes of the Roman Catholic Church.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plate plinker
01-30-2018, 03:51 PM
Never stopped my grandparents. I always liked grandpas navy prayer. Pop the latch and down the hatch. Amen!

Btw our school always had fish sticks on Friday, since we had a sizable catholic population.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-30-2018, 04:02 PM
Btw our school always had fish sticks on Friday, since we had a sizable catholic population.
Come to think about it, the public school in my hometown (in the 1970s) did the same thing. About half of the church going public was Catholic in that town.

Boaz
01-30-2018, 04:16 PM
Yes, any baptism so long as water was used and “in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit/Ghost” was said that is considered a valid baptism in the eyes of the Roman Catholic Church.

Thank you sir !

Boaz
01-30-2018, 04:38 PM
Ok ! This might be a trick question .

To the Catholics ;

Would I be able to baptize you and the Catholic church recognize it as a 'good' baptism with me being just a Baptist layman ?

xdmalder
01-30-2018, 04:49 PM
If the laws are done away with, why in Revelations 18:2 do they make a distinction of an unclean bird? Also eating kosher is not salvational. You couldn't go into the presence of the Temple Mount(or the Ark of the Covenant) being unclean after not eating kosher. Also with some parasites you cannot kill them no matter how much you cook it unless it is cooked to a useless inedible piece of carbon. The Most Highs laws were not the burden. It was the oral law of the Pharisees and Sadducees that was the burden.

xdmalder
01-30-2018, 04:50 PM
If the kosher laws only applied to Jews why did Noah make a distinction between 7 pairs of clean animals on the Ark and 2 pairs of unclean animals on the Ark?

KCSO
01-30-2018, 04:54 PM
During Lent my steaks are transgender and they IDENTIFY as fish??? No, no problem with bacon.

9.3X62AL
01-30-2018, 05:46 PM
I don't limit my fish-eating to Fridays. I do recall the fish sticks being served in my school cafeteria on Fridays. My hometown has always had a high percentage of Hispanic residents, and they are predominantly Roman Catholic. I miss having a good fish & chips place locally--love that stuff with good cole slaw.

2ndAmendmentNut
01-30-2018, 05:49 PM
Ok ! This might be a trick question .

To the Catholics ;

Would I be able to baptize you and the Catholic church recognize it as a 'good' baptism with me being just a Baptist layman ?

Baptisms preformed by laity are considered valid, but typically reserved for serious situations. For example there were Jews during WWII baptized in concentration camps by laypeople.

JimB..
01-30-2018, 05:53 PM
LOL ! That's a good question . All Baptisms accepted by Baptist churches must be total emersion preceded by a public confession of faith .

I was raised Roman Catholic, joined a southern baptist congregation 10 or 12 years ago.

In the catholic tradition a baby is baptized. This is simply based on tradition founded on the now abandoned belief that salvation was linked to sacraments. The child is then confirmed when he or she personally accepts Jesus, this is similar to the Baptists’ baptism, although the ceremony involves both sprinkling with water and anointing with oil.

In both the Baptist and Catholic traditions as currently exercised, salvation is a result of the grace of God and accepting Jesus and is not a function of any church ceremony. The ceremony serves to celebrate the event with the community and especially for Baptists as a requirement for membership in the congregation.

When my wife and I would attend catholic mass she was unsure about taking communion. The priest said that he could not knowingly offer communion to someone that was not baptized. She said that she was baptized, accepted communion, and was not struck dead.

When we decided that I would join the baptist congregation they asked about my history and understood that I had been baptized as a baby and had accepted Jesus at confirmation, but they still insisted on a profession of faith and the full dunk to obtain membership. They never said that my salvation depended upon the dunk, just my membership in the congregation.

Boaz
01-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Baptisms preformed by laity are considered valid, but typically reserved for serious situations. For example there were Jews baptized in concentration camps by laypeople.

You are correct I could in the right circumstances baptize a Catholic sir !

Boaz
01-30-2018, 06:05 PM
I was raised Roman Catholic, joined a southern baptist congregation 10 or 12 years ago.

In the catholic tradition a baby is baptized. This is simply based on tradition founded on the now abandoned belief that salvation was linked to sacraments. The child is then confirmed when he or she personally accepts Jesus, this is similar to the Baptists’ baptism, although the ceremony involves both sprinkling with water and anointing with oil.

In both the Baptist and Catholic traditions as currently exercised, salvation is a result of the grace of God and accepting Jesus and is not a function of any church ceremony. The ceremony serves to celebrate the event with the community and especially for Baptists as a requirement for membership in the congregation.

When my wife and I would attend catholic mass she was unsure about taking communion. The priest said that he could not knowingly offer communion to someone that was not baptized. She said that she was baptized, accepted communion, and was not struck dead.

When we decided that I would join the baptist congregation they asked about my history and understood that I had been baptized as a baby and had accepted Jesus at confirmation, but they still insisted on a profession of faith and the full dunk to obtain membership. They never said that my salvation depended upon the dunk, just my membership in the congregation.

Well Jim you cheated me out of my next question . Which was ..would a Baptist church honor a Catholic Baptism . As you stated the answer is no , a public profession of faith must be made followed by total emersion baptism .

2ndAmendmentNut
01-30-2018, 06:13 PM
In the catholic tradition a baby is baptized. This is simply based on tradition founded on the now abandoned belief that salvation was linked to sacraments.

The Catholic Church has never abandon any beliefs or dogmas.

daniel lawecki
01-30-2018, 06:16 PM
During lent we fish on Friday. At 61 I still eat fish during lent I'm old school and still live by church rules from the sixties.

Boaz
01-30-2018, 06:39 PM
During lent we fish on Friday. At 61 I still eat fish during lent I'm old school and still live by church rules from the sixties.

Well heck Daniel anytime is good for fish .

Char-Gar
01-30-2018, 06:44 PM
For Pete's sake, click bait in the Chapel. This thread has no real substance.

mozeppa
01-30-2018, 06:49 PM
For Pete's sake, click bait in the Chapel. This thread has no real substance.

sure it does! everything in the whole world is better with bacon on it!

go ahead try to name something!

Char-Gar
01-30-2018, 06:49 PM
The Catholic Church has never abandon any beliefs or dogmas.

Sure they have! Prior to Vatican II Protestants were "Satan's Spawn" after that we became "Separated Brethren". That has made relations much easier between the major branches of Christianity.

sparkyv
01-30-2018, 07:46 PM

So Boaz, why did you ask?

Blanket
01-30-2018, 07:50 PM
yes we can eat bacon

RogerDat
01-30-2018, 07:53 PM
Sure they have! Prior to Vatican II Protestants were "Satan's Spawn" after that we became "Separated Brethren". That has made relations much easier between the major branches of Christianity.
And official church dogma has changed in regards to practice if not the underlying principles. Divorce is handled differently in this generation than the last but the principles of marriage as a sacrament was not removed. There have been now at least two Popes that have reached out to Islamic and Jewish leaders. As well as outreach mentioned to other branches of Christianity including the Greek and Russian Orthodox churches. Some of these groups have had wars before over dogma or theology.

MT Gianni
01-30-2018, 08:04 PM
In history, in the area concerned, there were no domesticated pigs, the boars and sows that did live there lived in the foulest swamps. They were considered unclean, and indeed you should even today cook your pork well enough to kill the parasites they can still carry.

Parasites that can migrate to humans and ruin your life eating uncooked or not thoroughly enough cooked pork.

Not as likely true from a reputable farm. But a feral or wild pig can still have Trichinosis.

In the parable of the Prodigal son the son was feeding husk to swine, evidently in a farm situation.

Boaz
01-30-2018, 09:23 PM
Wow ...you guys have been busy . I shut the shop down and drove home , fed the dogs got a diet Coke and clicked the Chapel on .

Civil discussion is appreciated , arguing , one upping and bla bla bla is not . Don't make me look bad ...I stuck my neck out with this thread knowing the local atheists would be sucked in like a coon to a no 2 Victor baited with sardines . As far as us of faith ..all we have to fear is ourselves .

I put this thread up that we might learn something about one another . At the very least should be interesting in a 'conversational way' , it's not a theological thread . Just a place to ask or answer questions expecting respect either way . The only time I ever get actually mad in the Chapel is when Christians fight (Char Gar go watch a cute animal show before you blow an artery) Looks like we could love our neighbor that much .

salpal48
01-30-2018, 09:32 PM
This thread should be in the joke section. Or not at all

JimB..
01-30-2018, 09:46 PM

I don’t know about placement, but using a simple question to explore the perceived differences between or peculiarities of various cultures seems conducive to the development of a stronger community.

Having been both a catholic and a baptist I am always amused by the incorrect beliefs that each has about the other.

Ickisrulz
01-30-2018, 10:10 PM
In the parable of the Prodigal son the son was feeding husk to swine, evidently in a farm situation.

There's also Matt 8:33 showing a herd of pigs that had tenders.

texassako
01-30-2018, 10:32 PM
To the Catholics !

I am Methodist and my wife is Catholic, and they recognized my baptism. They asked a lot of questions when we were married, but pretty much recognized baptism in any common protestant faith when I asked.

xdmalder
01-30-2018, 10:54 PM
There's also Matt 8:33 showing a herd of pigs that had tenders.

You do know that Israel was under the thumb of Roman rule at the time right. I guarantee you no Hebrew was allowed to raise pigs while any of the Sanhedrin was in place. Also wild boars are pretty rampant in Israel.

xdmalder
01-30-2018, 10:55 PM
Are Christians allowed to eat dogs?

yeahbub
01-30-2018, 11:05 PM
Boaz, as related by 2ndAmendmentNut, baptism can be valid, as long as it is in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, even if performed by a non-Christian. There are records of persecutors being moved to baptize those they tortured during their interrogations at the request of the prisoner, sometimes bringing about their own conversion. IIRC, this was done in Roman prisons, during the middle ages in Japan and in Soviet Russia, by prisoners who understood they would likely not survive and knew the need to be born of water and the Spirit. In one account of protracted torture by the KGB for being Christian, the interrogator was convinced to baptize the teenage girl whose spirit he was tasked to break, and afterward, he demanded to be baptized by her, after which he facilitated her eventual dismissal from the prison. I wish I had references, but I'm sure they can be searched on the 'net.

The life of the Church still revolves around Christ and the sacraments He instituted, as it has since the beginning. Maybe a definition would be good here; A sacrament is an outward (perceivable) sign that also does what it signifies. Water Baptism is clearly a sign (washing), but it also accomplishes what it's about, entry into the life of grace. The Catholic church baptizes children to arm them also with the protection of grace they will need. No need to hold them back from being hidden in grace while the spirit of this world preys on them as he surely will. This presumes pro-active efforts of parents or guardians to educate and form the child's character and conscience. The time of public professing is at Confirmation when one receives the seal of faith and is a soldier of Christ - egregiously poor catechesis in many places in the last 50 years notwithstanding.

Catholic doctrine has never changed from the beginning. Methods and processes, yes. Doctrine, no. Divorce is treated differently now from prior centuries due to greater understanding of human strengths and frailties, as well as phenominal changes in how we live. Divorce is still only the secular legal divvying up of responsibilities and goods, not the "unmaking" of a valid sacramental marriage, which can't be done by any human authority. What is termed annulment is an investigation to determine if a valid marriage actually exists. If yes, they are married for life, but with counseling and maturity they are entitled to work toward reconciliation at some point. If no, no valid marriage ever existed, they are free and can validly marry others. This was Henry the VIII's hangup. The purpose of marriage is living and loving to get one's self and spouse to heaven. As noted by Paul, it may well not be an easy row to hoe. Faithful discipleship often isn't, I suppose.

Getting back to the original subject of this thread:

6bg6ga
01-31-2018, 03:17 AM

Actually I found it offensive and out of place.

NWPilgrim
01-31-2018, 04:47 AM
Actually I found it offensive and out of place.

It was a silly, trite question and has been answered numerous times. It should have been closed as "done and doner" a while ago. Leaving it open will only lead to multiple off topic tangents not worthy of the forum.

xdmalder
01-31-2018, 08:18 AM
I see no one wants to do some deep soul searching and question am I following what God wants or am I following man. God bless!

6bg6ga
01-31-2018, 08:32 AM
I see no one wants to do some deep soul searching and question am I following what God wants or am I following man. God bless!

To be blunt it was a somewhat stupid question. A simple Google or a visit to www.catholic.com would have revealed the answer in less than say 3 minutes. The topic was posed for several possible reasons on of which was to inflame catholics or prior catholics by camparing them to Muslims in that Muslims cannot eat bacon or pork products. It has absolutely nothing to do with following God or following man.

This thread should have been closed at post number 2 but then again it would seem that who you are plays a part as to the thread staying open or getting closed once again. This thread is offensive in my opinion and certainly out of place the the "Chapel" portion of the forum. It belongs in the pit and should be moved there if moderators do their job instead of playing favorites.

Preacher Jim
01-31-2018, 09:23 AM
I questioned this thread. Then I realized it is doing what we want chapel to be. Everyone realizing in spite of different churches it is Jesus we all Worship. Not the trappings or dogmas but the Lord Jesus Christ you all have showed that except for a couple I closed.

Boaz
01-31-2018, 09:49 AM
Agreed Jim , there are many here that understand the common bond in our faith in GOD.

sparkyv
01-31-2018, 09:50 AM
As far as us of faith ..all we have to fear is ourselves .

I put this thread up that we might learn something about one another . Looks like we could love our neighbor that much .

I'm with you, Brother. I really did enjoy this thread! Mostly I thought it humorous, with a few of us taking it much too seriously. GO BACON!

Ickisrulz
01-31-2018, 10:21 AM
You do know that Israel was under the thumb of Roman rule at the time right. I guarantee you no Hebrew was allowed to raise pigs while any of the Sanhedrin was in place. Also wild boars are pretty rampant in Israel.

The point was that pigs seemed pretty domesticated based on that passage.

xdmalder
01-31-2018, 10:41 AM
So how do we get past Matthew 5:17. "I did not come to abolish the Law or the Prophets but to fulfill it."
Fulfill means to bring to completion. So he outlaws certain foods only so later to fulfill his law he allows it. Very contradictory

I propose His written laws are still valid! It's the oral law of the Pharisees that were to be done away with. Those laws in the Talmud are of higher order then the laws in the Old Testament according to Rabbis(who are the present day Pharisees).

As God cried out "Come out of her!"(Babylon)

Ickisrulz
01-31-2018, 11:25 AM
I propose His written laws are still valid! It's the oral law of the Pharisees that were to be done away with. Those laws in the Talmud are of higher order then the laws in the Old Testament according to Rabbis(who are the present day Pharisees).

The Law was done away with in its entirety. People living under the New Covenant are not circumcised (see Galatians) nor do we offer animal sacrifices in the Temple (see Hebrews), etc.

The spirit of the Law was to put God first and love other people. Christians follow this command as a result of being joined with Christ not a prerequisite for salvation. The Law was a list of requirements to be acceptable to God and was not satisfied by anyone except Jesus. That is why it was done away with.

xdmalder
01-31-2018, 11:30 AM
The Law was done away with in its entirety. People living under the New Covenant are not circumcised (see Galatians) nor do we offer animal sacrifices in the Temple (see Hebrews), etc.

The spirit of the Law was to put God first and love other people. Christians follow this command as a result of being joined with Christ not a prerequisite for salvation. The Law was a list of requirements to be acceptable to God and was not satisfied by anyone except Jesus. That is why it was done away with.

Being that you are in Shawnee it would be neat if you could join me at the Feast of Tabernacles in Chandler next year.

UKShootist
01-31-2018, 12:33 PM

There's some rampant wild bores here too. :bigsmyl2:

yeahbub
01-31-2018, 06:25 PM
I'm Catholic and I perceived no intent to flame or inflame. The OP said it well, that it's about fellowship, discussion and comparing notes, and no harm done if there's a little humor in it. There's always something to learn or a fresh way of looking at old unquestioned beliefs long taken for granted. If I can't get to know how someone else looks at things, how will I know them? Some of the most incomprehensible things begin to make sense when I get to know who someone is.

Outpost75
01-31-2018, 07:07 PM

I thought that originated with Acadians because étouffée coypou (nutria stew) be "kosher" in Louisiana!

Preacher Jim
01-31-2018, 08:47 PM
Yeahbub #90 You have summarized the whole point of this thread. It's not about hogs, it get to know you or as they say in Kentucky, gotta look you over rite smart To know you and love you as a brother in Christ.

Boaz
02-01-2018, 07:08 AM
Yep ! Nothing to do with hogs , just fellowship . What about you Methodists ....Ya'll eat bacon ?

Wayne Dobbs
02-01-2018, 09:25 AM
Us United Methodists will tear some bacon up!

Boaz
02-01-2018, 11:05 AM
Thank you sir ! That is good news !

6bg6ga
02-01-2018, 06:43 PM
I'll bet there are some Jews that would like to tear up some bacon. There are Muslims that won't touch it or any pork for that matter. I say lets force feed them pork and make true believers out of them. Hey! let them also share in your fellowship.

UKShootist
02-01-2018, 06:51 PM
So the tale goes, a rabbi and a priest happened to be sitting opposite each other in a train. Discussion, as you might expect, turned to religion, and eventually got around to personal experiences. The priest eventually asks the rabbi, "You're not allowed to eat pork are you." The rabbi confirms this. The priest then asks the rabbi if he has ever eaten a bacon sandwich. The rabbit confesses he has, and the priest asks "did you enjoy it?" The rabbi rather shamefacedly admits he did. The rabbi then asks the priest if he has ever slept with a woman in spite of being prohibited to do so by his calling, and the priest, rather shamefacedly, admit he has. "And did you enjoy it?" asked the rabbi. "I certainly did." replied the priest. The rabbi then said "Beats the hell out of bacon, don't it."

ascast
02-01-2018, 06:57 PM
WOW I am frequently amazed by the discussions I see here.

6bg6ga
02-01-2018, 07:00 PM
So the tale goes, a rabbi and a priest happened to be sitting opposite each other in a train. Discussion, as you might expect, turned to religion, and eventually got around to personal experiences. The priest eventually asks the rabbi, "You're not allowed to eat pork are you." The rabbi confirms this. The priest then asks the rabbi if he has ever eaten a bacon sandwich. The rabbit confesses he has, and the priest asks "did you enjoy it?" The rabbi rather shamefacedly admits he did. The rabbi then asks the priest if he has ever slept with a woman in spite of being prohibited to do so by his calling, and the priest, rather shamefacedly, admit he has. "And did you enjoy it?" asked the rabbi. "I certainly did." replied the priest. The rabbi then said "Beats the hell out of bacon, don't it."

That of course would depend on your age and what kind of bacon we are talking about. Really good bacon is hard to beat.

gandydancer
02-01-2018, 07:06 PM
Only if its cooked good & crispy.

Boaz
02-01-2018, 09:11 PM
How do Methodists Baptize ?

Boaz
02-02-2018, 07:13 AM
Bacon fat?

6bg6ga I understand your here only to distract those trying to confirm , share and enjoy combined fellowship in our common faith and belief in our savior Jesus Christ . As in the past of the old pit all I can do is

Did you know that GOD gave his son Jesus Christ who came to die to pay for your sins assuring you through GOD's offer of salvation and eternal life through him by your faith in him . Through the death , resurrection and shed blood of Christ you are given this free offer of salvation . GOD loves you and has made a place for you and by your simple faith and belief in him you are saved .

6bg6ga
02-02-2018, 07:42 AM
Sir,

i do not see any fellowship in this thread at all. Bacon and its enjoyment by catholics has absolutely nothing to do with fellowship and of course that is my twisted opinion. I find it amusing that you try to incorporate fellowship with anything concerned in this thread. It should have been closed at post number 2 again my opinion.

Fellowship ...noun a friendly association with people that share the same interest. Thread topic bacon can catholics eat bacon. Sorry, don't see the connection. I do see the enjoyment of bacon connection and find it somewhat amusing but still don't see a connection with God and bacon. I guess one could start a thread about Baptists using premium gasoline and come to some twisted connection with fellowship.

rl69
02-02-2018, 08:04 AM
Definition of fellowship for English Language Learners. : a friendly relationship among people. : the relationship of people who share interests or feelings. : a group of people who have similar interests.

How can we have fellowship if we don't understand who each other are?

I ask,to sit back and watch this thread develop. Just see where it leads without distracting from its intent

If I know nothing else about boaz his intentions are pure and his heart only is to serve God. So if i agree or disagree with him it is of no matter I know his heart.

Boaz
02-02-2018, 07:11 PM
Thank you Ronnie .

Boaz
02-02-2018, 07:50 PM
Sir,

i do not see any fellowship in this thread at all. Bacon and its enjoyment by catholics has absolutely nothing to do with fellowship and of course that is my twisted opinion. I find it amusing that you try to incorporate fellowship with anything concerned in this thread. It should have been closed at post number 2 again my opinion.

Fellowship ...noun a friendly association with people that share the same interest. Thread topic bacon can catholics eat bacon. Sorry, don't see the connection. I do see the enjoyment of bacon connection and find it somewhat amusing but still don't see a connection with God and bacon. I guess one could start a thread about Baptists using premium gasoline and come to some twisted connection with fellowship.

This thread has nothing to do with Catholics being able to eat bacon and after reading so far if you can't figure that out I would be at a loss to attempt explanation . The title to the thread was meant to be humorous and also lead to an understanding of no understanding or misunderstanding . Though we of different denominations live , work and interact with one another everyday our knowledge and understanding of what we believe and how we worship GOD is rarely mentioned.

Seems that we hide our faith , somehow it's not correct to talk about the way we worship . How is it that we can't share the most important thing in our life ? I'm an Independent Baptist , I'm about as interdenominational as they come and I'm not here to convert anyone but to learn and share to have a greater understanding of others that have faith in my GOD . Perhaps I'm too simple or childlike but seems to me we have a common bond and will be sharing our final home not long from now . I will not be quoting much scripture in this thread but the second great commandment of our savior comes to mind . I used the Catholic version .

One of the scribes,i when he came forward and heard them disputing and saw how well he had answered them, asked him, “Which is the first of all the commandments?”

Jesus replied, “The first is this: ‘Hear, O Israel! The Lord our God is Lord alone!

You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’j

The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.

The scribe said to him, “Well said, teacher. You are right in saying, ‘He is One and there is no other than he.’

And ‘to love him with all your heart, with all your understanding, with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself’ is worth more than all burnt offerings and sacrifices.”l

And when Jesus saw that answered with understanding, he said to him, “You are not far from the kingdom of God.” And no one dared to ask him any more questions.

Wording is a bit different from my King James but the message is the same .

Pine Baron
02-03-2018, 09:09 AM
Very well said Boaz, and back to the spirit of this thread, us Presbyterians love us some bacon.

xdmalder
02-03-2018, 11:50 AM
Just some insight for anyone brave enough to seek truth
https://m.facebook.com/Why-some-Christians-DONT-EAT-PORK-879072832117098/

Boaz
02-03-2018, 07:35 PM
[QUOTE=Pine Baron;4279495]Very well said Boaz, and back to the spirit of this thread, us Presbyterians love us some bacon.[/QUOT

Thank you Pine Baron . I know you to be open minded and willing to share as well as willing to listen . You had me spellbound during a conversation on unconditional love . I have had many people here that have helped me on my path . Had one pose a question this morning by pm that is going to make me read my bible . The chapel is unique being on a reloading / gun forum , I know of some that came here as nonbelievers but in time accepted Christ as their savior . This chapel can not take credit for their decision but I know much encouragement was given .

Boaz
02-03-2018, 10:02 PM
Boaz, as related by 2ndAmendmentNut, baptism can be valid, as long as it is in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, even if performed by a non-Christian. There are records of persecutors being moved to baptize those they tortured during their interrogations at the request of the prisoner, sometimes bringing about their own conversion. IIRC, this was done in Roman prisons, during the middle ages in Japan and in Soviet Russia, by prisoners who understood they would likely not survive and knew the need to be born of water and the Spirit. In one account of protracted torture by the KGB for being Christian, the interrogator was convinced to baptize the teenage girl whose spirit he was tasked to break, and afterward, he demanded to be baptized by her, after which he facilitated her eventual dismissal from the prison. I wish I had references, but I'm sure they can be searched on the 'net.

The life of the Church still revolves around Christ and the sacraments He instituted, as it has since the beginning. Maybe a definition would be good here; A sacrament is an outward (perceivable) sign that also does what it signifies. Water Baptism is clearly a sign (washing), but it also accomplishes what it's about, entry into the life of grace. The Catholic church baptizes children to arm them also with the protection of grace they will need. No need to hold them back from being hidden in grace while the spirit of this world preys on them as he surely will. This presumes pro-active efforts of parents or guardians to educate and form the child's character and conscience. The time of public professing is at Confirmation when one receives the seal of faith and is a soldier of Christ - egregiously poor catechesis in many places in the last 50 years notwithstanding.

Catholic doctrine has never changed from the beginning. Methods and processes, yes. Doctrine, no. Divorce is treated differently now from prior centuries due to greater understanding of human strengths and frailties, as well as phenominal changes in how we live. Divorce is still only the secular legal divvying up of responsibilities and goods, not the "unmaking" of a valid sacramental marriage, which can't be done by any human authority. What is termed annulment is an investigation to determine if a valid marriage actually exists. If yes, they are married for life, but with counseling and maturity they are entitled to work toward reconciliation at some point. If no, no valid marriage ever existed, they are free and can validly marry others. This was Henry the VIII's hangup. The purpose of marriage is living and loving to get one's self and spouse to heaven. As noted by Paul, it may well not be an easy row to hoe. Faithful discipleship often isn't, I suppose.

Getting back to the original subject of this thread:

You made a good post ...thank you . Baptist churches as a rule do not discriminate people that have been divorced as far as membership . But according to the individual church for the better part in the past men could not be a deacon or hold position . Point being they were expected to an example . Actually I don't have a problem with it and understand .

But due to social and cultural changes divorced men are accepted as deacons or placed in positions of authority . All churches have changed in my lifetime . I remember they all had 'trouble' when heart transplants started , figuratively speaking the heart was the soul , the spirit . but we have moved on and accepted that life saving surgery as a blessing . Birth control 'contraceptives' were looked at as evil , but we have accepted it and moved on .

In the Baptist churches we have no sacraments . We have ordnances . This is from my church and self explanatory ;

The establishment and continuance of local churches is clearly taught and defined in the New Testament Scriptures We believe in the autonomy of the local church free of any external authority or control.
The Bible teaches that there are two ordinances given to the church to administer 1) Baptism 2) The Lord’s Supper. However, neither are sacraments or give any sort of saving grace. They are simply acts of obedience designed to point to Christ’s death and resurrection. (Acts 14:27; 20:17, 28-32; I Tim. 3:1-13; Titus 1:5-11).(Acts 13:1-4; 15:19-31; 20:28; Rom. 16:1, 4; I Cor. 3:9, 16; 5:4-7, 13; I Peter 5:1-4).

Thank you for your post , it was good !

Boaz
02-03-2018, 10:32 PM
We don't have any ceremony for new born . In smaller churches like mine the pastor will carry the baby to the pulpit and introduce them to the congregation with much praise and prayer . It is a time to rejoice in GOD's miracle and much attention will be given to the parents .