PDA

View Full Version : Chronographs: Labradar. Looking for opinions from people who use it.

littlef
01-29-2018, 09:31 PM
I'm new to reloading. I'm looking at chronographs, so I can get a better idea of how my reloads will be performing.

The range I primarily use is a public range, where you have to shoot through a window. The range policies would make it pretty much impossible to use/set up a traditional light sensing chronograph.

In theory I think the Labradar unit would work really well for the range where I primarily shoot - But I'm worried about interference from the windows/walls/and overhead steel plates. Does anyone have experience using the labradar unit? - If so, what are your opinions on possible interference and bad readings due to the surroundings in these 2 photos?

country gent
01-29-2018, 11:23 PM
I have one and have been really impressed with it as to ease of set up, the range at which it works and accuracy. The bench mount might be able to sit on the ledge that's showing in front of the window in the 2nd pic. ( I would put a cord on it to help anchor it so it doesn't fall off). In this manner it would be pretty much normal use of it. If set back behind the window frame on a tripod it still may be normal for it, The beam is a cone small at the unit and expanding with distance so it may clear the window frame just fine on a tripod beside the bench. If not then you may have a slightly narrower beam and be ore precise in aiming the unit.

Our club has installed an overhead baffle to limit high shots and its 5' or so in front of the line. It doesn't affect mine as I can tell.

I really like mine and the data it gives me. velocity out to 200yds in 5 different set ranges on 38 rifle bullets and bigger, High low velocities, standard deviation and average, Extreme spread. Mine is set up on a tripod ( One of the old Jim Owens models) and works very well for me. We have used it during a match when a shooter was getting unexplained shots all over.

kayala
01-29-2018, 11:43 PM
I have LabRadar and really like it; can use it anywhere indoors, outdoors; no need to set it far away to eliminate muzzle blast and no risk of shooting it (done it with my Chrony before :D). I've also bought a cheap scope (like $20) and mount from a member here really helps with aiming it.

littlef
01-30-2018, 01:05 AM
Thank you country gent. I appreciate your insight. Good tip on using a cord to help secure the unit.

littlef
01-30-2018, 01:12 AM
Thanks Kayala, Good to hear people have had positive experience with it. For some reason most reviews I've read have been negative. That being said, I think a lot of the reviews i've read were from people who reviewed it before they'd full learned how to use it properly. - I've seen that post regarding the scope mount. Sounds like it would really help aim it properly.

Road_Clam
01-30-2018, 08:01 AM
I used the Alpha Chrony for many years and it served me well. The Chrony's are very finicky about proper light conditions. I have many issues with no reads, erratic reads etc, until I learned exactly what light conditions were the most favorable. Bright overcast was the best light, as was bright sun (NO passing clouds). Low sun angle (early morning or late afternoon) also was not good conditions. I recently decided to move up the the Magnetospeed V.3 and I must say these units are hands down awesome ! The biggest bonus is no need to call your range cold and run out to the unit to make adjustments (if shooting at a public range). I test year round so no need to place my Chrony tripod out in the snow. The Magnetospeed clamps to your barrel. I had some initial sensitivity issues, but Magnetospeeds tech support helped me dial in mu best settings and now it reads perfect with no errors. Give it a look !

ioon44
01-30-2018, 10:35 AM
I have a Pact for 10 years and I have pretty much had it with finicky light conditions and erratic readings. I am pretty sure there is a Lab radar in my future.

country gent
01-30-2018, 12:06 PM
I had a Pact professional for 15+ years when it died the warranty had changed. I was tired of the set-up alighnment issues with the sky screens and light conditions. On a lot of indoor ranges I couldn't use it due to not being allowed in front of the line and light issues. The Lab Radar dosnt have these issues and works everywhere for me. One thing is don't go by the pistol rifle bow but by the velocity range of the list and the cartridge your shooting. MY BPCRs are in the 1150-1250 fps ranges so in reality handgun/pistol works better than rifle. On air guns and 22s you may need the trigger trip as report may not be enough to trip the unit.

jmort
01-30-2018, 12:19 PM
Lab Radar
I like mine

Baja_Traveler
01-30-2018, 01:48 PM
Really like mine - I made a custom clamp mount so I can mount it off the front edge of a shooting bench and have it even with the muzzle of the rifle instead of a few feet behind it. Find the guy here that is making the 3D Printed scope mounts for it and pick up a cheap pistol scope - you'll be glad you did...

dogdoc
01-30-2018, 09:53 PM
Gave myself one for Christmas and love it. Makes chronographing effortless

littlef
01-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Thanks Baja Traveler. That clamp sounds like a good idea. Next time I'm at the range, I'll have to look and see how the bench terminates at the window opening. Even a simple C-Clamp would work as long as there is a lip to grab on to.

littlef
01-30-2018, 10:40 PM
Good to hear Dogdoc. This is definitely helping me make up my mind, hearing so many positive responses.

littlef
01-30-2018, 10:43 PM
Thanks Road Clam, The magetospeed is my other option. The one thing I've heard about it, is that its challenging to get the unit to stay in place. Do you find that you have to keep readjusting it?

country gent
01-31-2018, 12:15 AM
If you make a clamp for benches or sills at a public or other club range then use wood or have wood blocks along so as not to mar the facilities up. A wood parallel clamp would work well and could be clamped over the side edge of the bench also. The Lab Radar dosnt take a lot of "holding" since it compact over the stand centered pretty well. A small spotting scope tripod works good to set on the bench for it, a fine adjust can make zeroing easier.

One club here has 4" thick concrete bench tops. they ran 1" conduit thru them 2 places 6" from front and back. ( This originally allowed a rod to be used to pick them up) a member has turned brass inserts for the front one so a L bracket can be used and bolted to the side for things like the lab radar.

littlef
02-02-2018, 11:29 PM
good call country gent, whatever the method I use to clamp the unit down, I'll need to make sure it doesn't damage the ranges bench. I'll click a couple photos next time I'm out, so I'll have a reference for when it comes time to work it up.

country gent
02-02-2018, 11:40 PM
I spent a lot of time cleaning up bench tops at our club. every year. some are a light sanding and coat of paint. but some have chunks missing that need to be filled in and cleaned up. Our concrete top benches were very solid and nice. 5" thick concrete top. Watched one member not just app his rest points to bite but drove them in almost all the way in. Couldn't believe it.

In reality one of the medium bar clamps that are trigger operated and have the rubber pads could be modified to do the job. Would be quick easy and none marring. It would be adjustable from 8"-12" to 0 quickly. The quick grip bar clamps come to mind

Road_Clam
02-03-2018, 09:57 AM
Thanks Road Clam, The magetospeed is my other option. The one thing I've heard about it, is that its challenging to get the unit to stay in place. Do you find that you have to keep readjusting it?

Not at all. You do need to play around with shim thickness to get your perfect spacing gap betweeen the unit surface and the bullet. It's a pretty small gap (1/8-1/4" gap). I err on the side of safe and shim exactly to 1/4". I have several different barrel diameters (including a supressor) so I spent a lot of time in my basement shimming the unit specifically for each barrel and then documenting the shim stack in my phone's notepad app. When I get to the range with a specific rifle, the setup is right there, no fiddling at the range wasting time. The nylon strap and clamp is very well made and tensions up tight when you have the strap buckle adjusted correctly.