PDA

View Full Version : Need help seeking Lyman All American primer post

connortn
01-28-2018, 09:33 PM
I purchased a Lyman All American turret press last month and have just now had time to set it up. I am using a #1 J type shell holder for 38 special and the primer post is either worn out our someone may have filed on the top to shorten it for some reason, and will not fully seat primers. They are about .010 proud of the case.

I went to 'bay to find one but I don't understand the difference between the J type and T type posts. I think the T type are for the J to X shell holders, but I'm seeing two maybe three different styles. One has a slot cut in the side with a pin to hold the moveable post in place, and one has a set screw in the side without a slot.

I've tried reading the descriptions and I'm not sure if some of these sellers know exactly what they have as they're calling all of them T style posts. The one on mine has the slot cut in the side with corresponding pin and seems to work, but as I mentioned, it's too short. It almost looks like someone has filed the top of it to make it shorter for some reason. I can't imagine wearing one of these out and looking that bad on the top of the post.

Anyone here have one of the All Americans that uses the J type shell holder that can look and tell me what it looks like, and maybe give me some measurements if it's not too much trouble. I do see some of them on 'bay that has a longer fatter solid part of the main body than others. I'm going to guess that the longer ones were for the X style adapter since the adapter would add length to the primer post after inserting a normal shell holder.

Sorry so long, but it's hard to describe something without photos.

Thanks for all help...

connor

Green Frog
01-28-2018, 10:40 PM
Connor,

Sorry I don't have my TL Jr stuff out where I can photograph it now, but you are right about the two types of primer punches, as they needed a special long punch called the "Special T" to go through the adaptor and the X-type shell holder, while the shorter unit is sufficiently long to go through the original J-type. IIRC, the Special T was the one with the big upper unit, but I'll have to check to be sure.

Froggie

Green Frog
01-29-2018, 08:15 PM
Found one... this is the primer punch that was beside my TL Jr to use with a standard J-type shell holder. Hope it’s clear enough to see. I took it with the punch in one hand and my iPad in the other. :-?

connortn
01-29-2018, 11:18 PM
Thanks Green Frog. That's what mine looks like with the exception of mine being exactly too short. I looked on 'bay and all of them have sold except a large, which I don't need. I'll wait till one shows up.
Thanks...

Connor

connortn
01-30-2018, 12:56 AM
Any explanation as to why they are calling some of these shorter ones for use with the J type shell holder a "T" style? I understand the "special T" used for the J to X shell holder, but there's some confusion about using the "T" designation for the short one.

Green Frog
01-30-2018, 10:46 AM
It's not the overall long or short of the part part you are looking at, it's whether the center portion goes through the various portions of the adaptor and the X-type/RCBS-type shell holder that matters. All I've ever seen for the punch used with the adaptor are referred to as the "Special T" priming punch, a term that survives to the 2018 Lyman catalog I just got yesterday.

As for your altered punch, I'm guessing some experimental minded previous owner did an adaptation on your primer punch for some specific application. Keep in mind that we reloaders can be an imaginative bunch and sometimes our "good idea at the time" may be baffling to future generations. BTW, I may be able to find a standard small primer punch to use with your J-type shell holder in your All American press... I'll check this afternoon when I get home from work.

Regards,
Froggie

connortn
01-30-2018, 08:18 PM
Thanks again green frog. I think I have solved the problem for now. Since it was too short, I just added a thin washer between the primer post and the turret press hole which raised the primer post up about 10-15 thousandths. Works great until I find one somewhere. Your photo helped me to know that I was using the right one and now know which type to look for.

connortn
01-31-2018, 12:51 PM
Update...
Had a good Samaritan fellow member here that's going to send me one. Thanks Paul. Hope I can return the favor someday.

Green Frog
01-31-2018, 03:10 PM
Roger that! Now I don’t have to take my life in my hands and dig through the mess in the basement. Let me know if that deal falls through and I’ll check my life insurance and try again. :bigsmyl2:

Froggie

too many things
01-31-2018, 04:27 PM
you dont have it adjusted right there is 3 reasons . but easy fix is put washer under the primer stem. if you dont know the press well do the washer . it will work

connortn
01-31-2018, 11:52 PM
I've reloaded before but just learning this press and only had a couple hours to set it up and play with it. I'll try to figure out what the other "two" things are that "too many things" gave reference to. I know most don't like the auto feed on this unit, but I'm going to play around with it just to see what it's all about. I think there may be a part missing on the swinging arm at first glance and will have to take a more serious look at it.

One thing I noticed was when I first took the large round black nut off the top was it came off easy. After looking things over, I screwed it back down and tightened the allen screw on the side. I found myself having to take it back off for something and after backing off the allen screw, found the top nut very hard to unscrew. I inspected it to find the problem being the allen screw had cut into the fine threads of the main shaft. After working in on and off a few times, the threads cleared up. I'm going to suppose there may have been a lead BB between the end of the allen screw and the threads to prevent that? So I will be adding one to the allen head screw hole and hope it takes care of it. If you guys know if this is correct, please give advise. I couldn't think of anything else that would help.

It would be nice if someone did a youtube video to show how to set everything up on this press. I'm sure I'm not the only guy that likes this press and has picked one up for use. I could have easily purchased a more modern press but I just like vintage stuff. I find most older things built to last. Maybe that's why I'm still around.

Connor

Green Frog
02-01-2018, 08:42 AM
Connor, in a dealer’s part kit I bought on fleaBay many years ago I found a package of tiny little nylon balls... I guessed at the time they might be for use under set screws to prevent galling. Wish I knew what I did with that big orange box!! :cry:

Froggie

too many things
02-03-2018, 07:44 PM
conn pm me and i can run you through it