PDA

View Full Version : "New" Mauser

Newtire
08-28-2008, 12:15 AM
Here's a picture of my purt-a-neer finished Mauser. I purchased a great stock from our own "gcollins" and together with the advice of a bunch of you, it all came together.

I'm waiting on a guy over at work to weld a stud onto the ring I made out of a pice of 1/2" pipe for my official safari style barrel band sling mount.

Of course it sports a Newtire limited edition shower shoe recoil pad.

I picked up a whole slew of belts at a yard sale last summer & made up a nice Luchesse into a sling using some little brass screw rivets from Ace Hardware. It has been fun! Now what to do?

Bigjohn
08-28-2008, 01:29 AM
Here's a picture of my purt-a-neer finished Mauser. I purchased a great stock from our own "gcollins" and together with the advice of a bunch of you, it all came together.

I'm waiting on a guy over at work to weld a stud onto the ring I made out of a pice of 1/2" pipe for my official safari style barrel band sling mount.

Of course it sports a Newtire limited edition shower shoe recoil pad.

I picked up a whole slew of belts at a yard sale last summer & made up a nice Luchesse into a sling using some little brass screw rivets from Ace Hardware. It has been fun! Now what to do?

Shoot it!

John.

EMC45
08-28-2008, 07:31 PM
"Shoot it!" That's what I was gonna say.

Newtire
08-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Well OK then...I'll just have to do that this weekend.

357maximum
08-29-2008, 02:34 AM
I would personally like to see a pic of your "safari sling mount" been thinking about doing similar to an old beater h&r 20 gauge that I use for running beaglets.

them bolt on barrel stud attaches' simply lack some appeal to me for some reason.

Crash_Corrigan
08-29-2008, 04:26 AM
That looks pretty good. Nice wood on that stock. I had an old 98/22 mauser with the lousy sights and being 29" long in the barrell it was not too easy to carry arouund. The bore was great but I wanted a gun I could carry around to hunt coyotes with. The 8 MM round was more than ample but the sights and the ungainley rifle told me to find another route.

We have an excellent gunsmith here in Vegas, Ray Lynn. I have seen his work and it is outstanding. I took my 1924 Mauser to him and he is rebarrelling it in 6.5 x 55 Sweede for me with a Douglas Match Barrel, Buehler safety, will turn the bolt, jewell the bolt, remachine and a whole bunch of other stuff including glass bedding the new laminated stock, recoil pad, sling swivel posts and mount the scope etc.

It is a lot of money but I believe that I deserve it. I have never had a custom firearm and have had to make do with run of the mill milsurps and medium grade pistols and revolters forever. I want something to really enjoy and cherish.

I could never afford a Freedom Arms Premier Grade .44 or a Smith Retro revolter so I will suffer with a medium power rifle that can cover both varmints and coyotes and even deer. I am told that they even hunt moose with it in Scandavia.

Since I recently bought a Canon gun safe and have it bolted to the floor I feel I need to have something to put in it other than $100 Shotguns, $200 303's, $300 Ruger BH's, $300 Ruger III's, $200 Smith and such. All together I have a nice collection that is worth some bucks but not a really nice piece. This Mauser will make the grade!

Newtire
08-29-2008, 07:56 AM
I would personally like to see a pic of your "safari sling mount" been thinking about doing similar to an old beater h&r 20 gauge that I use for running beaglets.

them bolt on barrel stud attaches' simply lack some appeal to me for some reason.

OK Michael, will put up a picture as soon as it's finished. I am having a guy weld on a piece of metal to the ring that I made from the piece of pipe but it's hard to get him when he's not busy. It's a comshaw deal at work. It'll be a matter of cutting off the stud to length and drilling a hole for the swivel and then cleaning it up & putting on a coat of "Blue Wonder". I'll post it as soon as it's done though.

yondering
08-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Can't see much of the rifle itself, but that's a nice looking stock!

Did you have to mount the scope that high because of the bolt handle? It can be tricky to forge the handle down low enough to clear a proper low mounted scope, especially if you don't have the bolt forging blocks and heat sink.

Newtire
08-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Did you have to mount the scope that high because of the bolt handle? It can be tricky to forge the handle down low enough to clear a proper low mounted scope, especially if you don't have the bolt forging blocks and heat sink.

The rifle is a Turk Mauser. My camera is a ********* so lucky if I get one in focus. I'll have to borrow the little woman's camera.

I don't know if the scope is high just because of the rings or is it the Weaver mount itself? There's about an inch to go before the handle would touch with the bolt open so suppose I could find a set of shorter rings but just don't happen to have any spares kicking around that aren't on a rifle already. I found some but they are for a .22 grooved receiver...OK next project! I had a guy on Ebay who also did a bolt for my Springfield do the bolt. I did all the rest. Might need some tweaking!

I don't do this to make a living...only just to enjoy living. It's a learning experience. I still have to bed the thing into the stock & swap the trigger for one I have coming in. I have a rather gritty Zastava trigger on it now.

Newtire
08-29-2008, 08:38 PM

Maybe this isn't quite what you had in mind but here it is.

I put a thick plastic shim inside and drilled & tapped for 6-32 allen setscrew. Green locktite and it is pretty sturdy.

nicholst55
08-29-2008, 11:47 PM
That scope does alook a bit high, but the gun looks pretty sweet. I'd suggest a lower set of rings - it'll probably be more comfortable to shoot, too.

357maximum
08-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Maybe this isn't quite what you had in mind but here it is.

I put a thick plastic shim inside and drilled & tapped for 6-32 allen setscrew. Green locktite and it is pretty sturdy.

Ok I see...I was going for a sweat on band...but that looks perfectly serviceable. Thanks for the pic