PDA

View Full Version : What can I do to improve my M39 Finnish trigger????

CENTEX BILL
01-28-2018, 01:59 AM
I have a newly acquired Finn M39 that I shot for the first time this week. Love the gun with exception of the trigger pull. It has a mile long take up and finally you get the breaking pt. The force it took to make the trigger break was not excessive but had little warning when it would go off. HELP

Can the trigger be tuned to have better performance, if so how who does this work???

Are there retrofit triggers that can be fitted such as Timneys or other brands?

I appreciate any advice and information.

Centex Bill

leebuilder
01-28-2018, 08:34 AM
There are a few after market triggers out there, be aware some have safety's that will require stock modification. I am wondering is there something wrong with the trigger? All the m39s I have seen have sweet triggers much better than the parent russian rifles and some quite different. I have seen many different mods to finn triggers ie springs, floating triggers, improved sears and shims.
YouTube has vids on the subject, again beware and avoid rabbit holes
Be well

LAGS
01-28-2018, 08:57 PM
The Timney trigger is GREAT.
That is, if you want to modify your stock.
That is the question.
You want an original rifle to shoot better, But you do not want to modify your rifle to fit an aftermarket trigger to make it shoot better.
A little time, stoning, and time at the range, you can get your original trigger to work very nice.
But if you dont care about the collect ability of your rifle, and just want the best shooter, them go with the Timley.
That is what I did on one of my two M 28-30 's
But that one was already sporterized for hinting anyway, so it didn't factor in

Clark
01-30-2018, 12:13 AM
I only have 24,000 views on my Mosin trigger video, but mine is from the engineering point of view, not the Mr Rogers show with 200k views.

You can bend the trigger spring.
You can buy a Timney.
I explain how everything else is wrong.

https://youtu.be/DPn8IdNJ_SE

Bend the spring but keep full engaugment

Adjust the Timney

Geezer in NH
01-31-2018, 04:32 PM
A trigger break should not be known as far as I am conserned. The "Breaks like a glass rod" Comes to mind. When you know when the trigger is letting go is bad. If the pull is not hard sounds like a good pull to me.

EMC45
02-02-2018, 12:36 PM
You can shim the sear with a washer or shim stock. Take screw out, place shim/washer, replace sear and tighten back down. All my Mosins have this done and it requires no mods to gun or stock and is completely reversible.

Larry Gibson
02-02-2018, 12:42 PM
Many M39s were modified to have a 2 stage trigger which give very good military trigger pulls. Apparently yours isn't one of them?

Streetwalker
02-02-2018, 01:16 PM
My M28/30 and M28 have very long first stage trigger take-up but both have crisp second stage let-offs. Takes a little getting used too but I am used to two stage triggers anyway.

leebuilder
02-02-2018, 06:11 PM
Excellent video Clark. Makes sence I have a 91/30 with the best mosin trigger I have seen yet, nothing special just stock parts. I am sure if the parts are on spec mosin triggers can be enhanced. If your cocking piece moves alot during pulling the trigger it should be tuned. Makes a difference on paper.
Be safe