PDA

View Full Version : Usps theft in florida

M-96 Hunter
01-28-2018, 01:54 AM
Recently sold a C&R rifle to a guy in ND. Tracking shows it "delayed on 12/29/17". A call to USPS shows it last scanned in Opa-Locka FL on 12/26/17. The lady I spoke with (after a 3 hour wait) said "lots of things go missing in Opa-Locka."

The joke here is that if your package makes it past Miami, Cuba you are usually okay.

Wondering if others have had the same experience.

Thin Man
01-28-2018, 08:06 AM
If USPS already knows they have a problem with shipments going AWOL in Opa-Locka, when are they ever going to get around to doing something about it??? Yes, they have a huge volume and on occasion bad things happen. When it gets bad enough to be their own inside joke among employees (as demonstrated by the lady's comments) its past time for the matter to be corrected. Any industry can destroy its image and the confidence of their customers. Hearing this story makes me think of that location and their conduct as being a "good example of a bad example".

rl69
01-28-2018, 08:19 AM
Five Dallas-area men are charged with the theft of hundreds of guns from UPS trucks in Missouri last year.
UPS employees in Springfield, Mo., discovered on Oct. 29 that a number of Beretta firearms had been stolen from trucks on their lot.
The trucks had been parked back to back and blocked by other trailers to prevent access to the trailer doors, according to court documents, but "the thieves hot-wired two truck-tractors and used them to push and pull various trailers around the lot."
Six hundred .380-caliber handguns and 54 12-gauge shotguns had been stolen from the Beretta shipment. Also missing from the UPS lot were a pallet of Justin boots, power tools and 12 cases of soda.

Investigators learned the next day that a box truck had been stolen from a Springfield moving company; that truck was located in Seagoville in early November. Authorities also used cellphone-tower records to link five North Texas men to the theft: Quinton Haywood, 26, of Glenn Heights; Keith Lowe, 28, of Dallas; Frank McChriston, 33, of Ponder; Derrick White, 32, of Arlington; and Eric White, 26, Arlington.
From left: Quinton Jamal Haywood, Keith Edward Lowe, Frank McChriston, Derrick Dewayne White, Eric Lavon White.(Greene County Sheriff's Office, Dallas County Sheriff's Department)
From left: Quinton Jamal Haywood, Keith Edward Lowe, Frank McChriston, Derrick Dewayne White, Eric Lavon White. (Greene County Sheriff's Office, Dallas County Sheriff's Department)
The Whites were detained in November at the Redneck Heaven restaurant and bar in Arlington on outstanding warrants related to a similar theft of tires in Corrigan in southeast Texas in 2016.
Both denied ever being in Springfield, according to court documents; Derrick White said he was "developing a line of urban apparel," and Eric White said he earned a living playing poker. Authorities found a gun from the stolen shipment in Derrick White's car.
Haywood and Lowe were both arrested at their homes on unrelated theft warrants, according to court documents, and they also denied being in Springfield. But authorities reported matching DNA from Haywood to the stolen box truck and DNA from Lowe to a knife found at the UPS facility.

Police in Oklahoma also reported stopping McChriston and the Whites in a Toyota Yaris about 24 hours before the gun theft. Surveillance footage from a Dallas storage facility hours after the theft showed a similar car as well as the stolen box truck, according to court documents.
The men each face one charge of aiding and abetting the theft of firearms being shipped across state lines and one charge of aiding and abetting the possession of stolen firearms.
McChriston remains in the Dallas County jail awaiting extradition to Missouri. Haywood, Lowe and the Whites were being held Friday at the Green County, Mo., jail without bail.
Most of the stolen firearms have not been recovered.

By Tom Steel Dallas morning news

georgerkahn
01-28-2018, 08:38 AM
A friend had a very similar situation with a rifle about a year ago. The irony in his case is that he had sent firearm out for repair, and after getting estimate, etc. on what it would take to execute its fix opted "no". Hence the "irony" as the thief got a broken rifle (a probable double-charge froze bolt, etc.). I do not recall if he even got any insurance money... As I type this, I have a C&R rifle hopefully in transit to me Tuesday; seller indicated he will be providing me tracking, with it ever so sad I no doubt shan't be sleeping restfully until it hopefully gets here. WHY did I need preface "gets here" with "hopefully"? In my case, I actually asked seller to break rifle down to fit in a smaller box that doesn't shout. "I'm a rifle, steal me!". Well, all I can add is I'm sorry re YOUR (and buyer's) loss while also hoping I shan't soon be in a similar paradigm.

Geezer in NH
01-28-2018, 09:26 AM
Don't forget to file the stolen in interstate shipment of a firearm with the ATF. If you are a C&R you also are required to do so.

MaryB
01-28-2018, 10:38 PM
Last rifle I shipped I used a box form a ham radio antenna. Box was clearly labeled as an antenna all over the outside so nobody would want to to steal it(only worth maybe $10 in aluminum scrap if the antenna was in there.)

Mr_Sheesh
01-29-2018, 12:35 AM
MaryB, well, unless you get crosswise with a dishonest Ham operator. I think those are about here and there, but far rarer than those who'd steal a firearm!

M-96 Hunter
01-31-2018, 10:27 AM
ATF will not accept reports from an individual.

Spoke with Postal Inspectors yesterday, they know there are crooks in OPA-LOCKA and are "working on it". They said "consider it stolen and file an insurance claim".

The only good news is that it was chambered for 22 short ONLY. Perhaps some home boy will try and rob a 7-11 with it and get shot !

woodbutcher
01-31-2018, 07:48 PM
:popcorn: Package theft in that area is sure nothing new.Way back when I was growing up in Fl,there was seldom a week went by without hearing about postal trucks,UPS or whatever being broken into and robbed.And I`m talking at least 50 years ago.I guess the powers that be are too stupid to learn from the past.AS USUAL.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo