PDA

View Full Version : New? idea for swage die

badgeredd
08-27-2008, 09:13 PM
Well guys and gals, I hadn't received my RCBS mold yet so "NECESSITY
being the mother of invention" took over.

SO... I dug out my 35 calliber C-H reloading press swaging die set.
I then took some sized and checked Lyman 358315 RN bullets and
ran them through the forming swage die. I inserted them far enough
to put a Flat point on the boolit so I could use them in the tubular
magazine on the 35 x 30-30 Marlin (Glenfield) I just finished a couple
weeks ago. I think they turned out great.

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee338/badgeredd/PICT0188.jpg

The one on the left is as cast; the next one I swaged the nose and
seated the check in the swaging die; the next 4 are boolits that I
sized, lubed, and checked and then ran into the swaging die, and
then resized a last time; and the last one I swaged and checked
in the swaging die and then lubed and sized. Note the last one's
lube grooved kinda shrunk.

At any rate, I have boolits that I can use safely in the tubular magazine.
Oh yeah, the alloy has been checked at 18 BHN...railroad journal babbit.

357maximum
08-27-2008, 09:34 PM
Ed

You likely just fixed the "ISSUE" most people run into accuracy wise with the 358315...IE nose is a bit "skinny". I fix mine to the same look with a different method is all. I use a die that holds a really deep "nosepunch" in my chucker, the shell holder part of the set holds the check and the boolit....one swipe and she is looking just like your boolits and they actually "fit" the gun when done this way.

Let us know how she shoots em eh?

Michael

badgeredd
08-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Michael,

See...I knew it wasn't a new idea! Never really thought about that accuracy thing...but now I'll see if they DO shoot better. I just had to have a FP to load into the magazine, but if it works out that they are more accurate I may just keep on doin' it.

Edd

smokemjoe
08-28-2008, 11:47 PM
Would you mine telling us about your 35X30-30, Sounds like a good one for a Ackley Imp. Thanks. Joe

357maximum
08-29-2008, 02:53 AM
Would you mine telling us about your 35X30-30, Sounds like a good one for a Ackley Imp. Thanks. Joe

hey Joe...psssst...he already did:-D

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=34747

badgeredd
08-29-2008, 09:26 AM

Joe.
I picked up a Glenfield 30-30 and sent the barrel out to have it rebored to 35 caliber with a 1-15 twist. It is shooting nicely with the preliminary loads and I am still working out the details, like which boolit, what powder and so on.

Honestly, I don't know I'd go with the AI version. I have a couple Improved cartridges and they work great, but I wanted this rifle for cast boolits and I don't see any advantage to the AI version for that. Another advantage to the standard version is that the barrel smith can cut the neck and the barrel is chambered; no chambering reamer needed. That's a substantial savings. I definitely could be wrong, but I feel there is satisfactory performance with the standard version.

Dies are from C-H and ran $83 and change. Ackley's would likely run more. Heck it IS a wildcat, so do whatever floats your boat. You can find a thread in the Leverguns section. Also if you do a search on the forum, there is some info on a couple others that are similar like Boomer Mikeys 35-55.

Edd

Antietamgw
08-29-2008, 12:10 PM
I never got 358315 to shoot well unaltered in my BLR .358. I bumped the nose with a flat punch in my lubrisizer, no sweat with ACWW. Worked well for me though setting the stops is critical for consistancy. Even then, meplat size would vary a bit. I'd just set those aside with "different" meplats for plinking. I have 180RF and 220FN group buy molds now and they work well in 35 Rem and .358. Time to make meat!

Bullshop
08-29-2008, 12:24 PM
badgeredd
If ya dont mind me askin, where did ya get it rebored?
Blessings
BIC/BS

georgeld
09-01-2008, 12:44 AM
What's the vel limits on this one before leading, or accuracy problems crop up?

I'm building a .358U/M and been thinking of doing some lead loads to plink with and learn the gun before going to the full boomers.

Those are nice looking boolits.

badgeredd
09-03-2008, 08:13 PM
badgeredd
If ya dont mind me askin, where did ya get it rebored?
Blessings
BIC/BS

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread. I had Jesse Ocumbaugh rebore it. Fine work. On a side note. I have another project in mind and when I can get the beans together, I want to try another fellow because I was also impressed with him when I called him looking for someone to do the work. I chose Jesse because he was highly recommended here on the forum. Not that I didn't like Jesse's work, just would like to try the other fellow too.

badgeredd
09-03-2008, 08:20 PM
What's the vel limits on this one before leading, or accuracy problems crop up?

I'm building a .358U/M and been thinking of doing some lead loads to plink with and learn the gun before going to the full boomers.

Those are nice looking boolits.

OK, So far I am loading at 2000 fps +/- 50 fps with no leading problems. I am working now with 4 different boolits and they are sized at or .001' over groove diameter.
I intend on trying to get a bit more out of a couple boolis but I'll need to change powders.

BTW my alloy checked out at 18 to 19 BHN.