PDA

View Full Version : Which line of Leupold rifles scopes use glass lenses and which use plastic these day?

Just Duke
01-27-2018, 04:36 AM
Which line of Leupold rifles scopes use glass lenses and which use plastic these days?

Lloyd Smale
01-27-2018, 08:20 AM
I don't know of any leupold scope that ever used plastic lenses. even cheap scopes use glass. Its the quality of the lenses shaping and coatings that make one better then another

Smoke4320
01-27-2018, 08:22 AM
To my knowledge Leupold has never had a rifle scope with plastic lenses

Just Duke
01-27-2018, 08:58 AM
http://www.alloutdoor.com/2017/02/20/storm-brewing-nano-tech-optics/

HangFireW8
01-27-2018, 09:02 AM
Interesting. Weight is the enemy of scopes (and mounts and rings). The lighter they are, the less recoil stress they go to relative to their attachment points. I wouldn't be adverse to a polymer lens if a.) they don't yellow over time like the old Balsam optical glue does, and b.) they product better results (or at least as good) as glass.

lightman
01-27-2018, 09:09 AM
That sounds like it may be coming in the future but not here yet. I hope they don'y scratch as easy as plastic glasses do.

DocSavage
01-27-2018, 10:22 AM
When I was a kid the lenses on my glasses were so heavy they'd right themselves.
I've worn glasses since I was 5 years old cataract surgery. I've worn glass,plastic,poly carbonate and have found that the poly carbonate though impact resistant scratched the easiest. Also remember your not "wearing" your scope on a daily basis so scratching the lenses is unlikely.

M-96 Hunter
01-27-2018, 10:55 AM
So the answer is NO Leupold scopes have plastic lenses.

elmacgyver0
01-27-2018, 11:09 AM
I would think a hybrid with glass on the outside ends and the new plastic on the inside would give you the best of both worlds.
You don't need to worry about scratching the inside lenses, if you do the scope is trash already.

shdwlkr
01-27-2018, 11:56 AM
think about it how many decades have they had plastic lens in glasses i have had glass and plastic lens in my glasses for decades and the plastic ones are much lighter and seem to work just fine except some scratch much easier. The last pair of plastic lens have worked fine and don't seem to scratch anymore than the glass ones used too. Weight is the issue with scopes everyone wants the lightest in everything even rifles and pistols only issue is the lighter you go the more you feel the recoil, strange how nobody seems to want to mention that fact many times

Alstep
01-27-2018, 01:36 PM
I've worn glasses for over 50 years, both glass & plastic. Worked in a machine & steel fabrication shop, can't be worse conditions for glasses; metal chips flying, grinding, welding, etc. The plastic held up to the abuse far better than glass ever did. Saved my eyesight many times. No reason for not using plastic lenses in optics.