PDA

View Full Version : 1 fg bp powder.

toot
01-26-2018, 02:30 PM
i have all ways used 2 FG to load my 12 gauge brass hulls. and i was in a gun shop to get some 2 FG, and told the owner what i was using it for and he said to use 1 FG. in them. i thought that it was for 75 caliber muskets and small cannons, has any loaded it in there brass 12 gauge hulls and how did it perform?

country gent
01-26-2018, 05:00 PM
I use 1f or 1 1/2f in my 45-90 with great results. it fills more volumne and gives better compression sometimes. Experiment with it and see what works for you and your firearm.

Don McDowell
01-26-2018, 05:12 PM
12 gauge is a 75 caliber.... I used a lot of 1f in a 14 ga muzzle loader with good results, and I am using 1f in a 40-90 bn sharps.

toot
01-27-2018, 09:50 AM
i have used 1fg. in a 75 cal BROWN BESS be fore, but my question was about 12 ga. brass hulls witch i have never loaded with it be fore. i did not what to expect with pressure, shot pattern, use of plastic shot cups VRS. wads ETC. i might try it in my 45/70 thank,s for the come back guys.

Don McDowell
01-27-2018, 10:50 AM
As with any other shot gun loading you'll need to use a good wad between the powder and the shot cup, over shot wads, crimp, etc. 1f operates at lower pressures than the powders with more ff's.

toot
01-27-2018, 06:57 PM
DON McDowell, i can't just use a plastic shot cup over the black powder with out using a good wad under it?.

Don McDowell
01-27-2018, 07:39 PM
You can, but you'll likely end up with a plastic coated bore.

enfield
01-28-2018, 09:00 AM
I was shooting a 12 gage with brass hulls yesterday, just over 100 Gr 1F, they worked fine but quite sooty ( I think the brass should have been annealed )

toot
01-28-2018, 10:20 AM
Don McDowell, woh! plastic coating in my barrel how would one go about getting that mess out of a bore? glad you gave advise be fore i went and loaded them up without an over powder wad.

toot
01-28-2018, 10:24 AM
enfield, what was the wad column that you used with the 100 grain 1 fg. load in the brass hulls? was it a plastic shot cup with an over powder wad, or card board and felt wads?

toot
01-28-2018, 10:26 AM
enfield, what makes you think the brass should have been annealed? did they split on firing?

Wayne Smith
01-28-2018, 10:27 AM
Shooter's Choice Shotgun foam cleaner - takes out the plastic. At least in my shotgun.

toot
01-28-2018, 11:05 AM
Wayne Smith, thanks for the info.do you put it on a patch or a brass bore brush? and where is the best place to get some?

enfield
01-29-2018, 10:02 PM
The brass didn't split it just leaked a lot of soot back along the case, I assume annealing would help seal it against the chamber better. It wasn't my shotgun and I didn't load the cases but I'm sure it was 103 gr 1F , a card wad, 12ga 1/2" Circle Fly wad , 1 oz #4 shot another card and some glue to hold the card in place.

enfield
01-29-2018, 10:05 PM
see if this link will take you to the shooting test. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJKv4g60AgE

Wayne Smith
01-30-2018, 09:34 AM
Wayne Smith, thanks for the info.do you put it on a patch or a brass bore brush? and where is the best place to get some?

Bought it at the LGS, foamed the bore and let it set for a couple minutes, nylon brush brought out strings of plastic.

toot
01-30-2018, 10:06 AM
Wayne Smith, thanks for responding to my query I asked you. i have never seen/ looked for it be fore, just thought it was just another gun cleaner. you say foamed the bore, so it comes in an air-sol can? now it is going to be on my reloading bench thanks to you. best, toot.

sharps4590
01-31-2018, 07:51 AM
Best way to get plastic residue out of a bore is to not put it in there in the first place. The traditional wad column works just fine.

toot
01-31-2018, 10:19 AM
enfield, thanks for getting back.

cajun shooter
02-10-2018, 04:59 PM
I used plastic wads in my SASS 12 ga. loads for years without nair a problem. When I arrived at home from a match, I would take my SXS apart and spray the bbls down with my moose milk. You may run a brass brush or spiral brush down the bore slowly and out the end will come what looks like a shed snake skin. I followed that with a cotton mop and the barrel looked like new inside and out. I sprayed all my guns with this product as it was made for metal, wood and leather.
To make your own moose milk, I mix in a 16 oz plastic spray bottle, 2 oz of Ballistol with 14 oz of water. If it seperates on you, just shake from time to time. I purchase the commercial spray bottles from Lowes or Home Depot.
After spraying and cleaning all of my guns,I put a patch of Ezzol inside and out for rust protection. I have sprayed my guns down with moose milk and waited until Monday to clean also.
I was always having holes in my patterns when I used the cardboard wads. I was missing steel at 10 yards!! Look up donut holes, it's hard to believe but it happens. I've never missed since going to plastic wads.

toot
02-11-2018, 04:39 PM
cajun shooter, thank you for explaining what your practice of gun care is when finished. i will certainly try it for sure.

quail4jake
02-11-2018, 05:06 PM
Plastic fouling is no big deal, take a look at your bore after a 100 target round of sporting clays...Ed's red takes it out just fine. I don't use plastic wads in my muzzle loaders, I get great results with a nitro card, circle fly wad soaked in molten bore butter and another nitro card over that, then the shot and an over shot card. The heavily lube laden wad really puts the lube to the bore as it's squeezed between the nitro cards. I can load many times and never wipe the bore, no plastic fouling either. To go old time I have a tow bag filled with linen lint and threads (tow) that I swirl in some lard with lanolin for over powder and just a pinch of tow over the shot.

DaveM
02-11-2018, 05:21 PM
For what it's worth, the loading data that Goex provides for black powder shotgun shells recommends FFFg (3Fg) for 12 gauge and smaller. FFg (2Fg) is recommended for 10 gauge.

Here is a link to their data (PDF) (http://www.goexpowder.com/images/LoadCharts/Breechloading-SG-Shells.pdf).

toot
02-13-2018, 09:50 AM
DaveM, that is a great chart that i will copy and place in my reloading papers. but there is not any loads for 1FG. powder. why is that? it was certainly used in the day for the 12, 10 and 8 bores all of witch i have several of them. yes i have used 2FG. black in my 12 and 10 bore but not in my 8 bore. 1FG. black is used in a lot of BROWN BESSE'S witch are close to a 12 bore, 72 to 75 cal.

cajun shooter
02-27-2018, 05:50 PM
I use a mixture of 2f and 3f for my SASS loads in my 12 ga. shotguns. I use a equal amount of each. You can't load enough of the larger granules of BP to achieve the power needed for the heavy KD's and 35 yard clays so this loading allows me to get the load needed.
I use Nitro 27 hulls that have had the old crimp cut off. I use about 54 grains of the mix along with my plastic wad that gives me room for 1 1/8 of 7 1/2 shot. I add an over shot card and then roll crimp.
I